Windows 10: Thrift store PC, unknown PIN/password, how to unlock?

Discus and support Thrift store PC, unknown PIN/password, how to unlock? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My adult non-techy daughter got a laptop cheap from a thrift store. It has Windows 10, and expects the PIN or password from the previous owner. Of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/r_a_g_s, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Thrift store PC, unknown PIN/password, how to unlock?

My adult non-techy daughter got a laptop cheap from a thrift store. It has Windows 10, and expects the PIN or password from the previous owner. Of course, we don't know this. (Showed previous owner's hotmail address, sent an email to that address but got no response.) What's the best way to get this unlocked? (I'm sufficiently geeky, but COVID etc. means I can't necessarily meet up with her.)

I know two possible solutions are:

1. Set up a Linux (Ubuntu?) bootable flash drive, boot from there, do some stuff to some files (read something somewhere about deleting sethc.exe then renaming cmd.exe to sethc.exe?), ? ? ?, Profit. But I'm not sure of all the steps that need to be done to do this properly.

2. Wipe the entire hard drive, then install a fresh copy of Windows. I'd rather get this thing unlocked for her for free, but I at least know this is a possible not-free solution.

Any other possible solutions that are easier (i.e. that my daughter could do on her own or with minimal assistance)?

submitted by /u/r_a_g_s
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/r_a_g_s, Feb 24, 2021
  2. Dyan Rey Win User

Microsoft Account PIN and password

We appreciate the screenshot that you provided. to start troubleshooting the issue with you logins, we suggest that you follow the steps below on how login pin goes back to password:

• Click Start menu and go to Settings.
    • In Settings, click the Accounts icon.
    • Click on Sign-in options.
    • Change both your password and pin one by one.
    Let us know how it goes.

Dyan Rey, Feb 24, 2021
  3. S24_Mike Win User
    How to SWITCH login method from PIN to password

If you get to step #5 and find that there is no option to remove the pin, this worked for me:

• Click "I forgot my PIN"
    • Enter your account password where prompted
    • When prompted to create a new PIN, click "Cancel"

This removed the existing PIN and went back to using the account password to log in and unlock the lock screen.

S24_Mike, Feb 24, 2021
  4. Thrift store PC, unknown PIN/password, how to unlock?

How to SWITCH login method from PIN to password

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

LarksKatydids, Feb 24, 2021
Thema:

Thrift store PC, unknown PIN/password, how to unlock?

1. Thrift store PC, unknown PIN/password, how to unlock? - Similar Threads - Thrift store unknown

2. How to unlock desktop PC without password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to unlock desktop PC without password?: I am trying to unlock my desktop PC that has not been used for several years. I forgot a password so I'm not able to access my computer.I was looking for a solution online, and found some. I tried to open Command Prompt via "Advanced options" but after I click Command Prompt...
  3. How to unlock desktop PC without password?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to unlock desktop PC without password?: I am trying to unlock my desktop PC that has not been used for several years. I forgot a password so I'm not able to access my computer.I was looking for a solution online, and found some. I tried to open Command Prompt via "Advanced options" but after I click Command Prompt...
  4. How to unlock desktop PC without password?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. How to turn on PC without password or pin?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to turn on PC without password or pin?: Hi,I removed my laptop sign in pin but not it's asking me for my microsoft password.Is there a way to turn on my pc without requiring anything?Thank you...
  6. How to turn on PC without password or pin?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn on PC without password or pin?: Hi,I removed my laptop sign in pin but not it's asking me for my microsoft password.Is there a way to turn on my pc without requiring anything?Thank you...
  7. Pin and Unlocking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pin and Unlocking: So, I recently got a new laptop, and I thought the pin feature was very useful. However, when I got onto it the other day, it restarted every time I turned it on and asked for my password. When I try to turn the pin back on, Settings says "This option is currently...
  8. Pin and Unlocking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pin and Unlocking: So, I recently got a new laptop, and I thought the pin feature was very useful. However, when I got onto it the other day, it restarted every time I turned it on and asked for my password. When I try to turn the pin back on, Settings says "This option is currently...
  9. How do I change the password that unlocks my PC?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I change the password that unlocks my PC?: Set a password but my family members cant memorize it. I wish to change it but don't know how. Drop your solutions. Thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-password-that-unlocks-my-pc/65822211-7bdc-41dc-95fa-128f4139a20d
  10. Unknown PIN

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unknown PIN: I have a brand new computer, I can sign in using Microsoft account info but I don't want to as this is a company computer, not my personal one. So would like to set up a local account but it won't let me, apparently. It claims I have a PIN set up already but I am not aware of...