Windows 10: thumb drive contents do not display correctly

Discus and support thumb drive contents do not display correctly in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I assume you are aware that if I want to have identical Outlook data on my office computer and my home computer, that I need to synch the data files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PYANAGAWA, Dec 18, 2020.

1. PYANAGAWA Win User

thumb drive contents do not display correctly

I assume you are aware that if I want to have identical Outlook data on my office computer and my home computer, that I need to synch the data files from the last used computer to the other computer.

So I use a thumb drive as my travel drive, and copy my Outlook files to the thumb drive from my home computer in the morning, so all the emails and other data in Outlook I worked on the night before are on the thumb drive. Then when I go to the office, and before I do any work in Outlook, I overwrite all the Outlook files on the office fixed drive with my files on the thumb drive. And at the end of the day, I copy the office Outlook data files back to the thumb drive and repeat the procedure at home before I use Outlook at home.

This has worked fairly well for me in keeping all the emails sent and received in one set of Outlook files, and I use a program called Beyond Compare to handle this comparison and transfer.

Recently, however, I have been having issues with Beyond Compare, because Outlook files from home which I know are different from the Outlook files from yesterday at the office should obviously be different when compared. I thought it was a Beyond Compare issue, but it is a Windows 10 issue. If I use Explorer to view the files on the thumb drive, what displays are the files which were on the thumb drive yesterday. Since Beyond Compare gets it data from Explorer, and Explorer does not display correctly, I have had issues.

If I reboot the office computer, the correct files are displayed on the thumb drive. So it appears that there is an Explorer cache which is not being reset, even when the computer is booted up the first time. If I reboot the computer, the correct files show up in Explorer and Beyond Compare.

Why is the occurring, and what can I do to assure that this incorrect display of files on the thumb drive does not occur at initial startup?

I use Beyond Compare to handle the file synching. It compres the files on

Recently,

updated with the most current Outlook files from the home computer, or else the office files at work get overwritten with new data which does not include data used .

I use a thumb drive as my travel drive to sync files from home and the office, primarily for Outlook. I have been having intermittent issues. I use Beyond Compare to sync my hard drive files to my thumb drive.

:)

PYANAGAWA, Dec 18, 2020

2. Can a thumb drive be disabled by malware?

There are quite a few possibilities to what happened to your thumb drive:

1. It might be a simple issue where the partition got corrupted: In this case you can go to Computer Management > Disk Management> and check out what partition your thumb drive currently has. If it currently is in RAW format or is just unallocated, I suggest you unallocate the entire drive and make a new partition. It's possible that you can recover upto 99% of your files with a tool like EaseUS DataRecovery Wizard Pro.
    2. The malware corrupted your thumb drive's firmware: The malware that your thumb drive may have encountered may be similar to something like BadUSB. It may or may not have modified your drive's firmware to transmit malware, but in any case your thumb drive's pretty dead, and there's not much you can do about it.

Don't Root here plz..., Dec 18, 2020
  3. Cannot access thumb drive.

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

What happens when you plug the thumb drive?

Do you receive any error code or error message?

Have you checked it with another thumb drive?

Try removing and reinserting it again.

Also make sure that the AutoPlay option is
    enabled
    on your computer. Follow the steps provided below:

• Press Windows + X key.

• Select Control panel.

• Double click on AutoPlay option.

• Check on the box, Use AutoPlay for all media and devices.

Ensure that all chipset drivers from the device manager(Press Windows + X and select device manager)

are up to date and also run the hardware troubleshooter if the issue still persist.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

• Click view all in the left panel.

• Select ‘Hardware and devices' and follow the on-screen instructions.
    Hope this helps. Get back to us if you still face the issue with thumb drive. We are here to assist you.

Joy Kemprai, Dec 18, 2020
  4. thumb drive contents do not display correctly

Location to access USB for opening a inserted thumb drive

See steps how to open and access the contents of your thumb drive:

thumb drive contents do not display correctly cbed0d27-e01f-49ff-8822-11474d7101e0?upload=true.png

Andre for Directly, Dec 18, 2020
Thema:

thumb drive contents do not display correctly

1. thumb drive contents do not display correctly - Similar Threads - thumb drive contents

2. How to display info what's on thumb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to display info what's on thumb drive: how to display thumb drive info when plugged in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-display-info-whats-on-thumb-drive/b4fd2186-66dd-4f7f-a285-23638fd0c765
  3. eject thumb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    eject thumb drive: Windows 10A thumb drive is plugged in, Explorer is opened, one file is opened, then closed.Explorer is closed.Go to "Show hidden icons" and select Safely remove hardware and eject media -> Eject USB Flash MemoryThe only device shown is the thumb drive just plugged in. Select...
  4. eject thumb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    eject thumb drive: Windows 10A thumb drive is plugged in, Explorer is opened, one file is opened, then closed.Explorer is closed.Go to "Show hidden icons" and select Safely remove hardware and eject media -> Eject USB Flash MemoryThe only device shown is the thumb drive just plugged in. Select...
  5. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  6. Formatting a Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting a Thumb Drive: Just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 and MS Office 365. I tried to format a thumb drive but when I select File Explorer, all I get is a list of files I've recently opened. I do not see the Thumb Drive. Doesn't matter if I select any files in the Recent Folder, I don't see...
  7. Thumb Drive not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumb Drive not working: I inserted my thumb drive and it was working perfectly before. But now it says I have to format it and it will erase all the data. How do I access the thumb drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumb-drive-not-working/3f7f37c7-f7d1-42ea-a644-4afbb523dc33
  8. Thumb Drives

Thumb Drives: How do I use a thumb drive to transfer data from Windows 7 to Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumb-drives/8b697fba-9f37-417b-a867-1443e9150438
  9. Syncing Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Syncing Thumb Drive: Our church secretary likes to keep most of her documents on a thumb drive which creates a problem when she's gone, since no one but her has her drive. We've asked that she keep church stuff on the churches computers for this reason, but to no avail. She said this time, "I...
  10. thumb drives

thumb drives: Upgraded to windows 10, plugged in a thumb drive but have no idea how to open the drive 27165