Windows 10: Thumbdrive intermittently gives error message & not seen by Win10

Discus and support Thumbdrive intermittently gives error message & not seen by Win10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I bought two Corsair Flash Voyager GTX 512GB USB 3.1 Premium Flash Drive, which I intended to use as a destination for backing up my two machines. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by phrab, May 29, 2021.

1. phrab Win User

Thumbdrive intermittently gives error message & not seen by Win10

I bought two Corsair Flash Voyager GTX 512GB USB 3.1 Premium Flash Drive, which I intended to use as a destination for backing up my two machines. The first time I used it, it worked fine & created a full backup with Macrium Reflect. I should mention that I take the thumbdrives out in the morning & put them in before I go to bed. The policies are set for quick removal, which Ive read allows me to take the drive out without having to click safely remove. The next day, it was set to create an incremental, but Reflect log said it couldnt find the drive. I tried to copy a small file to the drive & it wouldnt. I rebooted & the drive worked & I was able to create an incremental backup. I removed & then plugged in the thumbdrive, I got this message: I ran a scan, which showed no problems. However, if I right click on the thumbdrive, choose Open autoplay, I get the same error message. Then I started the scan again & it said: Then autoplay openedit was set to take no action. Ive used the drive in different USB ports & it doesnt seem to make a difference. Sometimes I get an error message & sometimes I dont. 1. Any idea whats going on? 2. I have another thumbdrive that I use as the destination for File History & when I right click it, theres an option to eject. However, with my Corsair thumbdrive, this is what my right click menu shows: Theres no option to eject. 3. Also, the 2nd identical thumbdrive works fine on WinXP with no problems. However, when I just plugged it into my Win10 machine, I got the same error message. Since it only happens on my Win10 machine, can anyone think of whats causing the intermittant problem? Thank you in advance.

:)

phrab, May 29, 2021

2. Windows Update Error Message 0x80070543

Ya Ya Ya, there's over a hundred threads like this, ...

Anyway, started getting this error message a few days ago, and done a lot of searching on this error message, apparently it's not, uncommon.

In particular, the (currently) 4 updates that are being affected are:
    • Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 (KB3173428) - Error 0x80070543
    • Security Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 (KB3172729) - Error 0x80070543
    • Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 (KB3174060) - Error 0x80070543
    • Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 (KB3176493) - Error 0x80070543

The actions I've taken to date are:
    1. Uninstalled firewall program (comodo)
    2. Uninstalled anti-virus (Avast)
    3. Reset the windows update catalog on local machine.

So the above errors are with the above done.

What other steps should I be taking to resolve the issue?

Below is notations for when I actually add to this thread.

1. Attempted to use the troubleshooter, no dice.

cDreamDancer, May 29, 2021
  3. zebal Win User
    Windows giving conflicting message about drive errors

Error message doesn't seem to explicitly say there is a disk error:

The rest of a message (non bold) is probably irrelevant since scanning the disk reported no problems.

What is disk snapshot?
    Snapshot (computer storage) - Wikipedia

I suggest you check following services are configured like this (ex. not disabled or stopped):

1. Virtual disk (vds) -> Manual
    2. Windows management instrumentation -> Automatic and started
    3. Windows management service -> Manual
    4. Volume shadow copy -> Manual

I don't know if getting rid of old snapshots could also get rid of this message, but you can test your command that produces this error after starting above services and see how it goes.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't see your update to previous post, but glad to hear you found the culprit! *Smile

zebal, May 29, 2021
  4. Thumbdrive intermittently gives error message & not seen by Win10

Windows Updates and Thumbdrive recognition

I recently installed some updates on my Lenovo T440p and now my laptop isn't recognising the thumbdrive that I regularly use. I only get a message saying format the external drive. Any suggestions, I don't want to lose everything on the thumbdrive by reformatting
    it.

PatrickFuller1, May 29, 2021
Thema:

Thumbdrive intermittently gives error message & not seen by Win10

1. Thumbdrive intermittently gives error message & not seen by Win10 - Similar Threads - Thumbdrive intermittently error

2. Win10 ISO USB IS NOT seen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 ISO USB IS NOT seen?: I work for a local charity and we are gradually going up to Windows 11 on new hardware inorder to meet MS intel processor greater than 8th generation. Quite a cost to us with our 50+ laptops and desktops as a charity. I am now as a volunteer rebuilding them with Win10 before...
  3. Win10 ISO USB IS NOT seen?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 ISO USB IS NOT seen?: I work for a local charity and we are gradually going up to Windows 11 on new hardware inorder to meet MS intel processor greater than 8th generation. Quite a cost to us with our 50+ laptops and desktops as a charity. I am now as a volunteer rebuilding them with Win10 before...
  4. Win10 ISO USB IS NOT seen?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Resetting pin gives error message

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Resetting pin gives error message: I am basically locked out of my computer because I cannot reset my PIN. Any help would be appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resetting-pin-gives-error-message/ca378d03-c853-41f4-85b4-737a07e6c74d
  6. URGENT HELP ON ERROR MESSAGE SEEN

in Windows 10 Customization
    URGENT HELP ON ERROR MESSAGE SEEN: Hi, Can someone advise me on the following error message please? This causes my com to freeze/restart occasionally.. What should I do? Description A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly. Problem signature Problem Event Name:...
  7. Printer giving me an error message

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer giving me an error message: I have a Brother HL-L2390DW laser printer. It was working fine but after a Windows 10 Update, it is not printing anymore. Everything shows as printer working and connected but no printing. Please advise asap....
  8. downloading to a thumbdrive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    downloading to a thumbdrive: I am trying to download an update for my Garmin onto a thumbdrive to transfer to my car. It begins the process but stops at 4.5%. Any thoughts on why I cannot complete the download?...
  9. Installings gives me an error message

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installings gives me an error message: Whenever I try to install an app I get the follow error message. It just apps. "Operation did not complete successfuly because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software" Would disabling windows defender fix this? I just use malwarebytes anyway. Don't like...
  10. Win10. Seagate HDD not seen by Win10.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10. Seagate HDD not seen by Win10.: I have this Seagate SATA HDD that win10 doesn't see. Not anywhere. Device manager, disk management, nowhere. But run Seatools on the computer and it sees it okay and gives it a clean bill of health. Except it doesn't list it as 'ready to test' like it does all the other...