Windows 10: Thumbnail issue (mp4/mkv)

Discus and support Thumbnail issue (mp4/mkv) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Greetings, Since the new update of this week I am experiencing some issues regarding thumbnails of mp4 and mkv files. When I download or create new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Royki, May 12, 2022.

1. /u/Royki Win User

Thumbnail issue (mp4/mkv)

Greetings,

Since the new update of this week I am experiencing some issues regarding thumbnails of mp4 and mkv files. When I download or create new files the thumbnail of the new file will not work and show as the default pictogram instead (even if the thumbnail is custom made/encoded).

I have tried all the troubleshooting I could find in every other topic; check if all the right boxes are checked and the wrong ones unchecked, clear the thumbnail cache in an attempt for it to repair it, but the latter option instead got rid of all my existing thumbnails for my old files and now I only have pictograms left.

Does someone have an idea what might fix this without using a third party program like for example Icaros? (As Icaros doesn't solve the custom thumbnail issue. It just uses a random frame)

Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/Royki
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Royki, May 12, 2022
  2. Huston Win User

Convert mkv with softsubs to mp4 with hardsubs

I have difficulty playing mkvs as they don't stream to my bluray nor play on Windows Media Center (homemade dvr). I can convert to mp4 and change eac3 to aac so everything I have can play the file but if the mkv has subs, they don't show up. I've tried to convert from subrip to mov_text but my players don't even see the stream. So, I need to convert softsubs to hardsubs. Most info I see out there seems to tell me how to combine a video with an external srt file. I may give up and extract the subtitle track and then merge but I'd rather skip the extra step and convert the internal softsub to hardsub. How do I do that? I have a batch file that works for most things... what do I need to add to get it to work?
    for %i in (*.mkv) do (ffmpeg -i "%i" -acodec aac -vcodec copy "%~ni".mp4)
    -scodec?? -vf subtitles=??

Huston, May 12, 2022
  3. Melvis Win User
    mp4 H264 or mkv H264?

Thanks for the info very helpful.

I like the idea of the MP4 and working on many devices, as the shows im doing are all in English so no need for sub titles.

Later they could be re burnt to disc so ill keep them on MP4 i think.

Melvis, May 12, 2022
  4. Mathragh Win User

mp4 H264 or mkv H264?

iirc, mkv gives you more flexibility in choosing different kinds of things you put into the file, like other codecs, and things like subtitles. For quality, it all depends on the sort of codec and quality settings you use.
    If you configure mkv the same way as you do MP4, they will give you exactly the same output.

I prefer mp4 over mkv myself, since I usually leave everything at their defaults, and because our PS3 wont recognise MKV files.

Mathragh, May 12, 2022
Thema:

1. Thumbnail issue (mp4/mkv) - Similar Threads - Thumbnail issue mp4

2. Thumbnails for MP4 files not displaying in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thumbnails for MP4 files not displaying in windows 10: Hi there.I've been facing this problem for a very long time and haven't been able to find a solution. I've tried all the setting changes that were recommended on other forums and this Microsoft support site as well. But no use.The thumbnails for other formats like MOV, are...
  3. Thumbnails for Video Files such as mp4 Are Not Working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumbnails for Video Files such as mp4 Are Not Working: Within the last couple of days, thumbnails for video files particularly mp4 seem to have stopped appearing. New files would not get thumbnails, while thumbnails for older files remained. Even more odd, these new mp4 files would receive thumbnails while being uploaded to...
  4. .mp4 thumbnail icons!?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .mp4 thumbnail icons!?: Did the feature update this morning and now I don't get thumbnail previews for .mp4 files only! Any idea why anyone!? I like my thumbnails!!! Chuter. EDIT: To be more specific it seems it's only not going to show me the .mp4 video thumbnails for the videos that came...
  5. Video (MP4/MKV) Handbrake alternative (Vidcoder)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video (MP4/MKV) Handbrake alternative (Vidcoder): Hi there anybody tried this for getting smaller mkv/mp4 files also with HEVC 265 VidCoder 4.31 / 5.3 Beta Free Download - VideoHelp Free and has the Handbrake engine but without the complexity of its GUI Anybody tried it yet. Cheers jimbo 126019
  6. MP4/MKV H264 Video to HEVC H265 fast converter ??

MP4/MKV H264 Video to HEVC H265 fast converter ??: Hi folks I've a number of videos that I want to convert to H.265 HEVC - the converter I've got is far too slow for this to be even remotely feasible -- Source videos are H.264 MKV. Converter using is Wondershare Video converter which does the job for converting things like...
  7. Simple FREE LOSSLESS MKV/MP4 editor (Cut sections)

Simple FREE LOSSLESS MKV/MP4 editor (Cut sections): Hi there I found this SIMPLE Free video editor -- I basically just want to remove bits of MKV / MP4 rips without any loss in quality for example I'm saving some classic old TV programs from a Classic Movie Satellite channel and want to remove the breaks. Look for THIS...
  8. Show Details in Mp4-Avi-Mkv etc

Show Details in Mp4-Avi-Mkv etc: In Windows 10 when I hover my mouse over these files all I see is the size and length of my file. In windows 7 I could also see the details IE size of the file 1280x540 etc is there a way to enable this in Windows 10 [img] Thanks 14376
  9. Handbrake - convert AVI and MP4 to MKV with subtitles at best quality

Handbrake - convert AVI and MP4 to MKV with subtitles at best quality: Hi there Any Video experts out there I've some AVI and MP4 files with external .SRT subtitles that I'd like to convert to MKV with embedded subtitles (not forced). That way I can forget about the .srt files that don't always play properly on MEZZMO / SERVIIO or PLEX...
  10. How do I edit the metadata of mp4, avi and mkv files?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I edit the metadata of mp4, avi and mkv files?: When viewing by details, you can choose to add various columns of metadata to the folder to sort files by, such as album or genre. How do you edit any of this data, for any file type? Right now my TV shows are sorted by season on my PC, but in different folders. What I...