Windows 10: Thumbnail Previews on File Explorer aren't showing

Discus and support Thumbnail Previews on File Explorer aren't showing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've tried everything for fixing this. Clearing the cache of the thumbnails, unchecking the always show icons not thumbnails, and a lot of the things... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by OliZdu123, Jul 29, 2019.

1. OliZdu123 Win User

Thumbnail Previews on File Explorer aren't showing

I've tried everything for fixing this. Clearing the cache of the thumbnails, unchecking the always show icons not thumbnails, and a lot of the things online. I still can't find a solution. One thing I might think it might be is that the thumbnails arent loading which I wouldn't know why they aren't because it started happening today. If anyone could help that would be amazing.

:)

OliZdu123, Jul 29, 2019
  2. ste0 Win User

PDF thumbnails not showing in Windows 10 file explorer

In Acrobat Reader DC, go to Preferences > General and then select Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer.

This should show thumbnails in File Explorer. For some reason, my selection got turned off (not by me). Check your settings again. I have done this same step for numerous computers now, and so far they all work.

The first time you do this, Adobe Reader DC actually has a pop-up saying something like installing a add-on or extension. If you don't see this, then I suggest a reinstall of the latest DC.

3. Preview and thumbnails are not showing up in Windows Explorer, Adobe Acrobat X Pro.

Hi Susanne,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern. The PDF Shell component in Adobe Reader allows you to see the thumbnails of PDF documents in Windows explorer. However, it seems Preview and Thumbnails of PDF files are disabled. Please follow steps mentioned below to enable
    the same.

1. Launch Adobe Reader.
    2. Click on Edit in the menu bar and choose
      Preferences.
    3. Highlight General under Categories.
    4. Check the box behind Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer.

You may also want to refer
    Enable thumbnail of PDFs in Windows Explorer
    for more details.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Jul 29, 2019
  4. Diggum3 Win User

Image files are not always showing thumbnails. Some are but most aren'

I have a problem with the preview display on image files where some will show an image preview and others will show an icon.
    This error does not happen systematically. When I open a folder with images in it some preview the image while others don’t. When I next reopen the same folder the same thing happens but with different files being affected.
    Similarly, when I try to refresh the file contents, all of the file previews flicker with the image preview for an instant before reverting to an icon.
    I have read many instances of this same issue happening to other people over the last few years but my problems have only been extant for the last few weeks.
    Reading about how other sufferers have overcome their problem I have tried the same solutions.

1. I have tried opening a folder that has images in it and gone to options/change folder and search options/view/ and made sure that the check box for “Always show icons, never thumbnails” is unchecked. It was.
    2. In the same view I then checked the “Always show icons, never thumbnails” box, click apply and then OK. I was rewarded with nine image previews instead of one but the rest (16) remained as icons. So I then repeated the procedure with the same result. Nine files as previews and sixteen as icons.
    3. I then followed the same path and clicked the ‘Restore Defaults’ option and applied with exactly the same result.
    4. I then tried all of the previous on a different folder with a similar result; twelve out of eighteen remained as icons and six showed previews.
    5. I then tried to reset all folders with the same result.
    6. I then tried another method of the same thing by reviewing the visual effects settings in Performance options. I achieved this by pressing the Win+R keys to open Run, typing SystemPropertiesPerformance.exe, and clicking on OK to open Performance Options. Here I made sure that the check box for “Show thumbnails instead of icons” was checked. After completing this step I went back through multiple image folders and as I opened each folder the previews on each file would flash an image preview before reverting to an icon. A small (variable) number of files would have a preview but the rest remained as icons.
    7. I have also noticed that for some unknown reason the default program to view and open image files had changed to the “Photos” app. So I changed the default app to “Windows Photo Viewer” and “Photo Viewer” in turn; with no effect.
    8. I then went to Control Panel and opened the Ease of Access Centre. Here I firstly checked the option “Turn off all unnecessary animations (when possible)” and clicked Apply; to no effect. So I went back in and unchecked that box, clicked apply and OK. Similarly to no effect. There may have been a moment longer of flickering of file previews when I checked some of the folders.
    9. Next I went to Settings/Ease of Access/Other Options and turned off (and on again) the “Play animations in Windows” option. Again, to no effect.
    10. Some blogs suggested that the problem may be drive overcrowding all my executables are on an SSD with 150GB used and 73 GB free. I have also cleaned it up with no result. All of the images are saved to a data drive that has 450 GB free. I think that drive overcrowding is not the problem.
    11. I also have tried clearing the thumbnail cache by following instructions that I found on the Windows 10 Forums site;
      1. Using the disk cleanup option and selecting ‘Thumbnails”. I then rebooted to find no change.
      2. Rebuild the Icon Cache using a BAT file
      3. Rebuild the Icon Cache in the Command Prompt
    All of the above had the same effect; zero. I have tried every suggested solution method that I could find about this and have had no luck so far so I am hoping that someone out there has heard of this weird anomaly before.

If anyone can help I would be VERY grateful.

Thx
    Peter

Diggum3, Jul 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Thumbnail Previews on File Explorer aren't showing - Similar Threads - Thumbnail Previews File

2. File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing: Hello there,I was working on File Explorer recently and noticed that my file thumbnails mostly my video files are not showing their thumbnails in my folder instead of the program icon. I've had this problem for quite some time now, since a few months ago. It's becoming a...
  3. File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing: Hello there,I was working on File Explorer recently and noticed that my file thumbnails mostly my video files are not showing their thumbnails in my folder instead of the program icon. I've had this problem for quite some time now, since a few months ago. It's becoming a...
  4. File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos: Hi all, I just built a pc and installed Windows 10. I have been working on Macs for years now so there is a bit of a learning curve. I usually do video editing but have run into a problem. Typically when I go to finder, Mac's version of file explorer, I see a thumbnail with a...
  6. File Explorer Thumbnail Preview Spacing

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Thumbnail Preview Spacing: Greetings, I've recently switched from Windows 7 to 10 and I've noticed a behavior that I was curious about. If possible, I'd like to remedy it, but Google searching doesn't really yield any meaningful results. Here's the issue I'm seeing. If I set Windows to show thumbnail...
  7. File Explorer not showing thumbnails

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer not showing thumbnails: My file explorer is not displaying thumbnails ( as it was earlier) instead it is showing default program icon ( windows photo viewer, set as default for all pictures) for all picture files like jpgs, bmps. When I browse folders containing pictures. at first it displays...
  8. Why aren't my video thumbnails showing in file explorer?

Why aren't my video thumbnails showing in file explorer?: [ATTACH] no links to websites please. no one wants to read it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-arent-my-video-thumbnails-showing-in-file/4bbdcc10-ece9-4000-984c-7fcb906d33ed"
  9. Why aren't my video thumbnails showing in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why aren't my video thumbnails showing in file explorer?: [ATTACH] no links to websites please. no one wants to read it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-arent-my-video-thumbnails-showing-in-file/4bbdcc10-ece9-4000-984c-7fcb906d33ed
  10. PNG Files not showing the preview thumbnail

PNG Files not showing the preview thumbnail: I had this issue a few months ago, where all my PNG files stopped showing their preview thumbnails on the picture icon. This happened at the same time when my applications started losing their icons images (such as the "Configurations" app, Calculator, and 3rd party...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. all my thumb nails arent showing up in adobe acrbat

2. why arent thumbnails showing in windows 10