Windows 10: Thumbnails, desktop icons, taskbar icons gone, Properties doesnt work

Discus and support Thumbnails, desktop icons, taskbar icons gone, Properties doesnt work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; All of a sudden the following symptoms (all at the same time):: 1. Taskbar icons gone (replaced by a neutral identical icon) except Edge and Store 2.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pimdh, Jan 19, 2016.

1. pimdh Win User

Thumbnails, desktop icons, taskbar icons gone, Properties doesnt work

All of a sudden the following symptoms (all at the same time)::
    1. Taskbar icons gone (replaced by a neutral identical icon) except Edge and Store
    2. In File Explorer, no longer thumbnails, no icons either, simply blank, but names show
    3. All desktop icons gone; but their names still show and they "work"
    4. When I rightclick to "Properties" (on desktop icons, or File Explorer items) nothing happens
    5. Control Panel no longer shows icons, names only
    Seems rather dramatic.... Anybody any idea?

:)

pimdh, Jan 19, 2016

2. All computer icons

All of the icons on my computer are gone. not just the desktop, but folder icons, everything. The icon names are still present on my desktop, but no icons. Taskbar icons appear as light blue/white rectangles. Folder envelopes are completely gone. I have
    tried searching for a solution, but all I can find is the simple desktop icon function. I have done system restore several times, but to no avail. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

RGRamsdell, Jan 19, 2016
  3. my pc will no longer display icons or thumbnails in explorer or IE

Following an update (see updates.jpg) icons and thumbnails no longer show in IE or Explorer! I've rebuilt the icon cache without changing the problem. I cannot create a recovery point (see errmsg.jpg), I've tried changing the desktop properties which are
    set to Small Icons, Align icons to grid and show desktop icons. I also note that I cannot display the properties of any of my three disks nor any desktop icon. On the desktop the icon titles display but not the icon, the taskbar show the same icon for IE,
    File Explorer, Microsoft Outlook 2010 and an application! Folders containing image or music only display the content or folder titles, even when tiles display is selected. The desktop icon title and the taskbar icons all action the correct application without
    problem. Does anyone have any suggestions that I could try before resorting to the Repair option?

Thumbnails, desktop icons, taskbar icons gone, Properties doesnt work [​IMG]

JohnEReilly, Jan 19, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

Please try to right click on the start icon and select Command prompt administrator, give admin permissions and copy/paste this into the window that opens and press enter sfc /scannow . If you decide to type it in, please notice the space between the sfc and the /. We want it to say no integrity violations were found. If it says there where corrupt files that could not be repaired, please reboot and run it again. You may have to run it 3 times with reboots in between each time. See if this helps.

essenbe, Jan 19, 2016
  5. ARC1020 Win User
    I don't know whether your problem is the same as mine as your description sounds a bit different, however I experienced a similar thing this morning, which seems a bit coincidental, so maybe the problems are linked. PC booted to desktop fine, I went to make a coffee and when I got back the Desktop/Taskbar were blank and all the icons were missing.

The cause for me was that the Intel Graphics Drivers (Intel Iris Graphics 6100) decided that it was going to add a 'Virtual Display' on it's own accord and make that the primary monitor. So in short, the reason everything disappeared was that I was now looking at the low-res second monitor (that I don't have) on my main display.

To cure it I done the following:

1) Rebooted the PC with the power button on the machine, as was unable to do it from Desktop

2) I was then able to right-click the desktop and select 'Graphic Properties' in the context menu.

3) In the Intel 'Graphic Properties' I was able to un-select the 'Virtual Display' by setting it back to single monitor mode

4) Re-added my desktop background, rebooted and all was fine

Yesterday everything was normal and this morning it initially booted to desktop fine, so I'm not sure what the cause was or even what a 'Virtual Display' is. The only updates I can see are for the Windows Map App (where they added a live tile, but I'm not sure what else).

ARC1020, Jan 19, 2016
  6. pimdh Win User
    Thanks essenbe! In the meantime, I fixed it with the help of the Microsoft chat help desk. They told me to go back to the previous version of Windows. Apparently, they blamed it to a faulty update which I must have received yesterday. Well, it's now "fixed" so to speak. I'm now worried that by the next automatic Windows update something similar happens. Or worse. I don't even know how to turn automatic updates off....
    Anyway, for now I'm (sort of) happy.
    Thanks very much for your suggestion, which I'm going to save and use later on if necessary! Thanks!!

pimdh, Jan 19, 2016
  7. pimdh Win User
    Thanks very much, ARC1020, for your elaborate and clear reply. You are right, your problem is a bit different. In the meantime, I fixed my problem with the help of the Microsoft chat help desk. They told me to go back to the previous version of Windows. Apparently, they blamed it to a faulty update which I must have received yesterday. Well, it's now "fixed" so to speak. I'm now worried that by the next automatic Windows update something similar happens. Or worse. I don't even know how to turn automatic updates off....
    Anyway, for now I'm (sort of) happy.
    Thanks very much again, for your help!!

pimdh, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Thumbnails, desktop icons, taskbar icons gone, Properties doesnt work - Similar Threads - Thumbnails desktop icons

2. Desktop Icons blank/distorted; Taskbar icons gone; No start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons blank/distorted; Taskbar icons gone; No start menu: First off, a little background information. This is a brand new Dell PC i5, 8GB RAM, SSD 512GB that came with Windows 11 22H2 Home pre-installed; I subsequently upgraded to Pro as we are in a domain environment. After a few days of use strange things began happening, desktop...
  3. Icons on taskbar are not displaying it's thumbnail

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons on taskbar are not displaying it's thumbnail: As you can see in the attached image the icons of my recently opened apps is appearing plane instead of showing the specific app icon image/thumbnail.Can anyone tell me how to fix this?...
  4. Icons on taskbar are not displaying it's thumbnail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons on taskbar are not displaying it's thumbnail: As you can see in the attached image the icons of my recently opened apps is appearing plane instead of showing the specific app icon image/thumbnail.Can anyone tell me how to fix this?...
  5. Icons on taskbar are not displaying it's thumbnail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. No icons and properties not working

in Windows 10 Support
    No icons and properties not working: Hi all, I have a problem where no icons show anywhere throughout the system, I get no thumbnails from pictures, videos etc. Icons only appear on my Stardock Object Dock on the bottom of the screen and in the Taskbar Notification area I get flashes of what look like black and...
  7. "Display Thumbnail Icons" not working on Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    "Display Thumbnail Icons" not working on Desktop: Hi, I've been having this "Display File Icon on Thumbnail" minor problem where Desktop prevents applying this rule on my files (works only when inside a folder), here is an example: [img] [img] Can this be solved somehow? 130747
  8. Taskbar Icons gone

Taskbar Icons gone: aLL OF A SUDDEN SOME OF MY tASKBAR iONS ARE NOW GREYED OUT/SAME COLOR AS THE TASKBAR ITSELF. i TRIED CHANGING THE COLOR BUT NO JOY! wHY IS THIS HAPPENING https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-icons-gone/250e7e32-28c7-4856-b36b-8209c902d12d
  9. Windows 10 Thumbnails AND Icons Gone

Windows 10 Thumbnails AND Icons Gone: Alright, I was doing some routine cleaning with Ccleaner two days ago, and one of the areas cleaned was the Thumbnail cache. When it finished, I discovered that in Large View mode, none of my icons or thumbnails regenerated. I can still see them in Medium, Small, Tiles,...
  10. All icons & thumbnails gone in Windows Explorer & desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    All icons & thumbnails gone in Windows Explorer & desktop: Hi all, On turning on my laptop yesterday (for the first time in a couple of days), all my icons are now missing: [img] This also includes thumbnails, etc: [img] I have tried restarting / full shutdown a few times with no effect. Any suggestions much...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. icon are blank areas of white in the destop

2. thumbnails of taskbar doesnt work