Windows 10: Thumbnails, folder images disappeared

Discus and support Thumbnails, folder images disappeared in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've formatted my SSD where Windows for a clean install, after which folder icons, folder images and file thumbnails disappeared. I just confirmed that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Narrash, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Narrash Win User

Thumbnails, folder images disappeared

I've formatted my SSD where Windows for a clean install, after which folder icons, folder images and file thumbnails disappeared. I just confirmed that I can change the image folder of a newly created folder but not folders created before the formatting which display an empty file icon. Same thing goes for videos, where I used a third-party tool to change the thumbnail. The video thumbnail is the VLC icon I use VLC as my default video-viewing software, but the third-party tool I used to change the thumbnail still displays the thumbnail in said tool thumbnail exists, Windows doesn't display it.

I've tried every method found online, deleted the thumbnails cache, touched the registry, used the command prompt, toggled "always show thumbnails" in the advanced system settings and I did set up the file explorer's options but I'm at my wits' end.

***moved on english forum***

:)

Narrash, Nov 16, 2020
  2. silkstone Win User

Disappearing folder

I've encountered a strange problem in windows 10 where I tried to delete a file in a folder, but ended up deleting the whole directory. It did so without the usual pop-up to confirm delete or say it was too big for the recycle bin. It was my Videos folder, so pretty big, but the disk allocation has also remained the same.

I've always had a problem with 'double icons' for the different user folders, including videos, and so I'm thinking it could have something to do with the whole thing, especially as now one of the two video folders has disappeared from the users folders.

The first thing i tried was 'Undo delete', but it just bought the folder back with non of the contents. Then, I went straight to Recuva, but it came up blank (there must have been over 50 videos in the folder)

I'm at a little bit of a loss as where to start looking for this disappeared folder and was hoping someone might have some suggestions?

Screenshots below:

Thumbnails, folder images disappeared upload_2017-4-1_22-11-14-png.png

silkstone, Nov 16, 2020
  3. Dgo47 Win User
    File Explorer not showing thumbnails

Brink,

Many thanks for you reply. I have done all the steps you suggested, but no change,

When I open a folder containing photos, some open correctly but the vast majority open with thumbnails, but they very quickly get overwritten and you can not longer see the thumbnails.

Are there any more suggestions?

Dgo47, Nov 16, 2020
  4. Thumbnails, folder images disappeared

Thumbnails error for Images

Hi Myra,

Let us further isolate your concern by answering the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to the computer software prior to this?
    • Have you tried disabling the "Always show icon, never thumbnail" in
      "Folder and search options", to a different folder and check if the same thing happens?
    In the meantime, we suggest that you enable and then disable the "Always show icons, never thumbnails" option.

Looking forward to your response.

Jamille Nar, Nov 16, 2020
Thema:

Thumbnails, folder images disappeared

1. Thumbnails, folder images disappeared - Similar Threads - Thumbnails folder images

2. Image thumbnails randomly disappearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Image thumbnails randomly disappearing: I'm currently running Windows 11 and I'm having a problem that I'm not able to permanently solve. When I go to folders that contain images some images show thumbnails and some do not. When I save images to my computer all images show thumbnails then I can go back to the same...
  3. Image thumbnails randomly disappearing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Image thumbnails randomly disappearing: I'm currently running Windows 11 and I'm having a problem that I'm not able to permanently solve. When I go to folders that contain images some images show thumbnails and some do not. When I save images to my computer all images show thumbnails then I can go back to the same...
  4. no video thumbnails, image thumbnails are working

in Windows 10 Support
    no video thumbnails, image thumbnails are working: Hi there, for some time now all videos on my system are without thumbnails in the explorer. Image files are shown correctly with thumbnails. I already tried all recommended solutions like deleting the thumbnail cache (manually and via disk cleaner), checked all settings in...
  5. Thumbnails, image folder disappeared

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thumbnails, image folder disappeared: I formatted my SSD with Windows for a clean install and since then, mp4 thumbnails are not showing anymore (used to manually change those), instead showing the VLC icon. Image folders don't work anymore, in that I don't see those I've personalized and I changing it, or...
  6. **** - thumbnails disappeared.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    **** - thumbnails disappeared.: I had a problem. I posted a question. Greg Carmack responded. I cannot get back to his response to respond to it, so I am posting again. . I followed his directions and lost my whole desk top. Now all I have is a solid white screen. He responded to me on an email I...
  7. Folder or image Thumbnails

Folder or image Thumbnails: Hi there, I want always to show icons and folders in tumbnail. Examples: Cntrol+shift+2 I press again and again. So I want always to show thumbnail type content in all folders. Thanks All COR Designer...
  8. Thumbnail Image

Thumbnail Image: The thumbnail image flashes when I open a folder in pictures. how do I get the picture image to remain open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumbnail-image/f58e2e4c-8d6c-475e-87a9-3f614c02dff5"
  9. image on thumbnails

image on thumbnails: In older versions of windows you could see images of what was in an svg file. With windows 10 you can't. I save a lot of craft patterns, and it takes forever to find the file I'm looking for without an image on the thumbnail. Is there a way to set this up?...
  10. Disable Folder Thumbnails but keep Image Thumbnails?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Folder Thumbnails but keep Image Thumbnails?: Hiya. I'm trying to disable the Thumbnails for those ugly "Live Folders". However, I can't seem to figure out how to turn them off without also disabling the thumbnails for individual image files. Does anybody know how to disable *just* the Live Folder thumbnails? 66021