Windows 10: Thumbnails for certain video files are completely broken in Windows 10

Discus and support Thumbnails for certain video files are completely broken in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a large collection of .webm and .mkv video files that I would like to see thumbnails for. I understand that this is not natively supported, so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RickyTimothy, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Thumbnails for certain video files are completely broken in Windows 10

I have a large collection of .webm and .mkv video files that I would like to see thumbnails for. I understand that this is not natively supported, so I downloaded Icaros and activated thumbnailing for webms and mkvs.

It did literally nothing.

So I downloaded K-lite codec which is also supposed to thumbnail these files.

But it also did literally nothing.

So I installed Media Preview which also is supposed to thumbnail these files.

And it did absolutely nothing, all of the video files still show up as vlc pylon.

Does anyone have an idea for how to fix this?

:)

RickyTimothy, Feb 26, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Feb 26, 2021
  3. No thumbnails issue in Windows 10

Thank you for your prompt response. Certain folder options can cause the thumbnails not to appear in your File Explorer. Let us follow these steps to ensure that the thumbnail settings are enabled:

• Using Windows Search, type and click File Explorer Options.
    • Click on View tab.
    • Uncheck the Always show icons, never thumbnails checkbox.

Reach out to us again if further help is needed.

Dhavelyn Mer, Feb 26, 2021
  4. Dyan Rey Win User

Thumbnails for certain video files are completely broken in Windows 10

Video preview thumbnails

Hello,

System file corruption is one of the possible reasons why thumbnail preview has recently disappeared. To better assist you, please answer the following:

• For clarification, are referring to video preview thumbnails when using File Explorer?
    • We would like to verify if you are referring to the Fall Creators Update. To see your
      Windows build and version, please follow the steps in this
      article

In the meantime, we suggest creating a Test User Profile. This is to see if the same issue occurs on a different user profile.

To create a Test User Profile, follow these steps:

• On Search, type Settings then hit the
      Enter
      key.
    • On Settings window, select Accounts.
    • Select Family & other people.
    • Select Add someone else to this PC.
    • Name the User Profile as TEST.
    • Assign a password for TEST user, then select Next.
    • Sign in TEST user.

We'll be waiting on the results.

Dyan Rey, Feb 26, 2021
Thema:

Thumbnails for certain video files are completely broken in Windows 10

1. Thumbnails for certain video files are completely broken in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Thumbnails certain video

2. File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken: I have read many tech articles, I've cleared caches, changed settings, I have tried all the solutions I could find to no avail. Prior to this issue, I could view almost every single photo and video file's thumbnail in file explorer. Then one day I couldn't. Now I can only...
  3. File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken: I have read many tech articles, I've cleared caches, changed settings, I have tried all the solutions I could find to no avail. Prior to this issue, I could view almost every single photo and video file's thumbnail in file explorer. Then one day I couldn't. Now I can only...
  4. File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Display thumbnails only for certain files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display thumbnails only for certain files: The company I work for just issued me a new laptop. The old laptop was running Windows 10 Enterprise, build 17763. The new laptop is running Windows 10 Enterprise, Build 19043. On the old laptop, all files were displayed as icons, on both the desktop and in the File Explorer,...
  6. Display thumbnails only for certain files

Display thumbnails only for certain files: The company I work for just issued me a new laptop. The old laptop was running Windows 10 Enterprise, build 17763. The new laptop is running Windows 10 Enterprise, Build 19043. On the old laptop, all files were displayed as icons, on both the desktop and in the File Explorer,...
  7. Display thumbnails only for certain files

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Logo and Thumbnails missing on certain files

Logo and Thumbnails missing on certain files: Some images in .png files don't have thumbnails, also it seems like every mp3 Groove Music logo is missing, meanwhile, the Microsoft Photos icon logo is also missing, it seems that .jpeg isn't affected by the Thumbnail missing.Also note that only newer png files are affected...
  9. Certain files thumbnail not showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Certain files thumbnail not showing: I have recently bought a new hhd hard disk and after moving some files to that hard disk, I noticed that all the media file e.g png,jpg,mov etc won't show their thumbnails. Then I tried several methods:1, go to the folder option and disable "Always show icons, never...
  10. Video Thumbnails Broken

in Windows 10 Support
    Video Thumbnails Broken: I have one PC with Windows 10 Home on it that has suddenly stopped displaying video thumbnails. Funny thing is that on other PC's on my network it works just fine. Picture thumbnails work fine but video thumbnails have stopped displaying at all. I have checked the obvious...