Windows 10: Thumbnails for Video Files such as mp4 Are Not Working

Discus and support Thumbnails for Video Files such as mp4 Are Not Working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Within the last couple of days, thumbnails for video files particularly mp4 seem to have stopped appearing. New files would not get thumbnails, while... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jacob1559, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Jacob1559 Win User

Thumbnails for Video Files such as mp4 Are Not Working

Within the last couple of days, thumbnails for video files particularly mp4 seem to have stopped appearing. New files would not get thumbnails, while thumbnails for older files remained. Even more odd, these new mp4 files would receive thumbnails while being uploaded to OneDrive, but would lose their thumbnails after uploading / syncing was complete.

Recently, I cleared my thumbnail cache using Disk Cleanup, but that did not fix the issue. Instead, I lost all of my thumbnails, including the ones that remained for the older mp4 files I have done the obvious as well, such as refreshing my Windows Explorer session following disk cleanup and even rebooting. So, I tried clearing the thumbnail cache again using an administrative command prompt, and I got the same result.

Is there any way to fix this problem? Thanks in advance.

:)

Jacob1559, Apr 9, 2020
  2. Chuter44 Win User

.mp4 thumbnail icons!?

Did the feature update this morning and now I don't get thumbnail previews for .mp4 files only!

Any idea why anyone!? I like my thumbnails!!!

Chuter.

EDIT: To be more specific it seems it's only not going to show me the .mp4 video thumbnails for the videos that came from my MotoZ2 play device which are in 4k. if that may have anything to do with it?

Chuter44, Apr 9, 2020
  3. EdyMR Win User
    No mp4 thumbnails in File Explorer in Windows 10

Have Windows 10. All my videos have thumbnails except mp4 files. Tried Refreshing, and all the other fixes I could find. Nothing works to restore my thumbnails. Very frustrating.

EdyMR, Apr 9, 2020
  4. riqrat Win User

Video Files Not Showing Thumbnails in File Explorer

I don't know why I had thumbnails for .mp4 files prior to the last Windows update since searching for a fix pretty much agrees with Berton's comment that Win10 doesn't really come with much support for it.

After trying a bunch of tips, I decided to install a program called Icaros.

That allowed me to add .mp4 to the list of filetypes and activate thumbnails for it.

Works. All is good now.

riqrat, Apr 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Thumbnails for Video Files such as mp4 Are Not Working - Similar Threads - Thumbnails Video Files

2. Convert MOD video files to MP4

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert MOD video files to MP4: I have windows 10 and my MOD video files will not play. It seems I need a converter to convert MOD video files to MP4’s.Can anyone recommend a converter? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-mod-video-files-to-mp4/58b1bb4b-e2f1-4932-841e-f650ab159fa9
  3. Mp4 videos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mp4 videos: Hi could someone please help me to get my mp4 videos to play in windows 11, I have tried the fix for media player compression thing, but the instructions are for windows 10and I do not get the same options, so cant do it. Does anyone know the steps for windows 11. All i get...
  4. Mp4 videos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mp4 videos: Hi could someone please help me to get my mp4 videos to play in windows 11, I have tried the fix for media player compression thing, but the instructions are for windows 10and I do not get the same options, so cant do it. Does anyone know the steps for windows 11. All i get...
  5. Thumbnails for MP4 files not displaying in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thumbnails for MP4 files not displaying in windows 10: Hi there.I've been facing this problem for a very long time and haven't been able to find a solution. I've tried all the setting changes that were recommended on other forums and this Microsoft support site as well. But no use.The thumbnails for other formats like MOV, are...
  6. Thumbnails for MP4 files not displaying in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thumbnails for MP4 files not displaying in windows 10: Hi there.I've been facing this problem for a very long time and haven't been able to find a solution. I've tried all the setting changes that were recommended on other forums and this Microsoft support site as well. But no use.The thumbnails for other formats like MOV, are...
  7. Thumbnails for MP4 files not displaying in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. no video thumbnails, image thumbnails are working

in Windows 10 Support
    no video thumbnails, image thumbnails are working: Hi there, for some time now all videos on my system are without thumbnails in the explorer. Image files are shown correctly with thumbnails. I already tried all recommended solutions like deleting the thumbnail cache (manually and via disk cleaner), checked all settings in...
  9. MP4 thumbnails are no longer working, need help

MP4 thumbnails are no longer working, need help: I'm not sure what went wrong, but thumbnails were working just yesterday, and no updates took place since yesterday to today... Right now, I'm currently running on Windows 10 Pro 20H2 19042.630. I've made sure it's not the files themselves that are having issues by...
  10. .mp4 thumbnail icons!?

.mp4 thumbnail icons!?: Did the feature update this morning and now I don't get thumbnail previews for .mp4 files only! Any idea why anyone!? I like my thumbnails!!! Chuter. EDIT: To be more specific it seems it's only not going to show me the .mp4 video thumbnails for the videos that came...