Windows 10: Thumbnails not loading properly in Windows Explorer

Discus and support Thumbnails not loading properly in Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, My thumbnails recently haven't been loading properly. I attached some pictures to show what they look like. For some folders, the thumbnails... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by agentwares, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Thumbnails not loading properly in Windows Explorer

Hello,

My thumbnails recently haven't been loading properly. I attached some pictures to show what they look like. For some folders, the thumbnails are just blank white pictures, and for other folders, the thumbnails are just blank black spaces.

How can I fix this? I tried a few different things, but they didn't work.

1 I tried Disk Cleanup > Check Thumbnails > Clean up system files

2 I tried Win+E > View > Folder Options > Open File Explorer to This PC

What else can I do besides clean installing Windows? I don't have my external hard drive right now to back up my files because of the holidays.

Thumbnails not loading properly in Windows Explorer 31d2e108-2933-4a15-9922-450f15c664c0?upload=true.png

Thumbnails not loading properly in Windows Explorer 688ea3b1-fc6b-46b5-beb9-da84d9d9b5e9?upload=true.png

:)

agentwares, Nov 23, 2020
  2. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Nov 23, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Thumbnails load slowly in Explorer

Hi, have you done any research on this? A general search for
    thumbnails load slowly
    suggests e.g.
    How to Speed Up a Windows Folder that Loads Very Slowly

But there are so many factors: how large a file is each image: where are the files located: what is the speed of access to that location: what else is the PC doing at the same time..... (check your task manager).

Another angle:
    When Windows 10 thumbnails seem to be missing or slow to load, try this | PCWorld

Please also feel free to search the forum.

Note: forum rules prohibit thread bumping... thanks.

dalchina, Nov 23, 2020
  4. Dgo47 Win User

Thumbnails not loading properly in Windows Explorer

File Explorer not showing thumbnails

Brink,

Many thanks for you reply. I have done all the steps you suggested, but no change,

When I open a folder containing photos, some open correctly but the vast majority open with thumbnails, but they very quickly get overwritten and you can not longer see the thumbnails.

Are there any more suggestions?

Dgo47, Nov 23, 2020
Thema:

Thumbnails not loading properly in Windows Explorer

1. Thumbnails not loading properly in Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Thumbnails loading properly

2. Thumbnails not loading properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thumbnails not loading properly: Hello! I'm facing this issue:1. Explorer.EXE not working properly and thumbnails won't load.Before facing this issue, I didn't made any changes to the system.At this moment, I saw that some files have a blank page icon and some folders, without its contents.And some icons...
  3. Thumbnails not loading properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thumbnails not loading properly: Hello! I'm facing this issue:1. Explorer.EXE not working properly and thumbnails won't load.Before facing this issue, I didn't made any changes to the system.At this moment, I saw that some files have a blank page icon and some folders, without its contents.And some icons...
  4. Thumbnails not loading properly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows Explorer not loading properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer not loading properly: Hi, I am currently facing issues with my Windows Explorer whereby it doesn't load properly. The bar will remain green for very long and my file icons do not show. I would like to request for help on how I should go about resolving this issue. Last I remember when my Windows...
  6. File thumbnails not loading properly.

File thumbnails not loading properly.: Hey my files are not loading the image thumbnails, are there any fixes to this problem? I have tried clear the cache and that's about it. Thanks in advance....
  7. Windows Explorer not loading thumbnails, files and drives?

Windows Explorer not loading thumbnails, files and drives?: Windows Explorer on my Windows 10 machine has suddenly stopped functioning properly. Thumbnails now do not appear, replaced by white placeholders. My drives sometimes do not appear at all when in "This PC" - it just shows "Working on it..." with a green bar that never loads...
  8. Windows 10: JPEG and PFG Thumbnails not working, not loading properly.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10: JPEG and PFG Thumbnails not working, not loading properly.: I was trying to finish renaming a lot of my photos. But the thumbnails stopped working all of a sudden. I have tried several recommended options which were listed here 4 Methods to Fix Picture Thumbnails Not Showing on Windows 10 and none have worked. The most important one...
  9. File Explorer: Issues loading thumbnails, loading times, and more

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer: Issues loading thumbnails, loading times, and more: I'm having a bizarre problem on my Windows 10 PC. For some reason, lots of image thumbnails won't load (particularly PNG files and AVI files), which is extremely frustrating. Sometimes it shows the file type icon, sometimes a generic file icon, and something literally...
  10. Thumbnails load slowly in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails load slowly in Explorer: I'd like them to load faster, what can I do? I've tried this but it didn't help. 66519