Windows 10: Thumbnails not showing on network drive but on local drives.

Discus and support Thumbnails not showing on network drive but on local drives. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have a strange problem. I just finished my new rig and installed win 10 pro. I also have the latest version and all the updates. When I go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kratzba, Feb 11, 2020.

1. kratzba Win User

Thumbnails not showing on network drive but on local drives.

Hello,

I have a strange problem. I just finished my new rig and installed win 10 pro. I also have the latest version and all the updates.

When I go to my NAS the explorer doesn't show thumbnails anymore(gif,png,jpg etc.). On my local drives, they are showing.
    I already checked the settings and all is set to show thumbs and not icons. I also deleted the thumb cache multiple times.

I also tried sagethumbs and icaros, but both didn't work. I also created these reg entries but also no luck.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisableThumbnails Value 0
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisableThumbnailsOnN etworkFolders Value 0

Did anyone have another idea? I am going crazy.

:)

kratzba, Feb 11, 2020

2. Thumbnails on network drives not working - Windows 10

Hi Marque,

I have the same problem and have tried everything I can find online to fix it. Here is what I have tried:

1) My Windows 10 computer is fully patched.

2) File Explorer Options - I have checked and unchecked the box to "Always show Icons"

3) I have "Reset Defaults" in File Explorer Options.

3)I have tried experimenting with drive letter mappings and URL paths - neither seem to have an effect on the thumbnails not showing up.

4) I have uninstalled my 3rd party media players: VideoLAN and Adobe Photoshop to be specific.

5) I have tried changing the default app for media to various Microsoft apps (Paint, Photos, Windows Photo Viewer, etc...) No effect.

6) I have run a disk scan (SFC scan). There were no problems.

7) I have used disk cleanup to remove all thumbnail files.

8) In advance system settings, I have verified "Show Thumbnails instead of icons" and "Save taskbar thumbnail previews"

9) I have confirmed the following settings in Group Policy:

User Config/Administrative Templates/Start Menu/Turn off thumbnails (Disabled)

User Config/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/File Explorer/turn off display of thumbnails (Disabled)

10) I have created the Reg key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer/Disable Thumbnails and set the value to "0"

Things to note:

1) Preview thumbnails work on local drives (C:, D:, etc...)

2) Network thumbnails worked previously on this computer. It then stopped working several months ago (I have spent much time off and on trying to solve this problem since then). There is no new software that has been installed on this machine (other than
    Microsoft updates).

3) On network drives, the preview pane does not work in File Explorer. It only shows the file icon.

4) I have tried connecting to multiple network locations (other computers and laptops on my local network), none of them show thumbnails when browsing from my computer. On the other computers in my home, the same files show thumbnails correctly (viewing
    locally, of course).

5) I have plenty of disk space on my local and network drives.

Please help as I am out of ideas.

BenderRodriguez123, Feb 11, 2020
  3. Frn747 Win User
    Network drive not showing in elevated apps

Hi everybody,

I am using W10 Home and I have just done a clean install and I am in the process of customizing the system to my needs.

The problem I step into is this:
    I connected a new network drive from within Windows Explorer and if I open:
    - Command prompt window: Drive exist and it is listed by NET USE
    - Admin command prompt window: Drive DOESN'T exist and it is NOT listed by NET USE

I also use FreeCommander. When I launch it the UAC asks for my confirmation and the network drive doesn't show either.

I know it sounds stupid but I can't figure out what happens... *Confused

Thanks!

Frn747, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Rusty-86 Win User

One Drive Picture Thumbnails

One drive is no longer showing thumbnails for pictures.

I see several threads for this problem but, as yet, no solutions offered.

Windows 10. up to date. Local stored pictures fine. One drive pictures seen on iPhone fine. Just the thumbnails on my laptop OneDrive drive has the problem.

Advice appreciated.

Rusty-86, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Thumbnails not showing on network drive but on local drives. - Similar Threads - Thumbnails showing network

2. Local Drive C: showing as a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local Drive C: showing as a folder: Hello,So I recently upgraded to windows 11about 3 months ago but I noticed 3 weeks ago that my local drive does not show as a drive icon but as a folder icon, I downloaded external antivirus software thinking it was a virus/malware but still nothing. Yesterday I noticed my...
  3. Local Drive C: showing as a folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local Drive C: showing as a folder: Hello,So I recently upgraded to windows 11about 3 months ago but I noticed 3 weeks ago that my local drive does not show as a drive icon but as a folder icon, I downloaded external antivirus software thinking it was a virus/malware but still nothing. Yesterday I noticed my...
  4. Mapping a network drive using a local network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapping a network drive using a local network: Hi. I would like to map my network drive to my desktop from my laptop. I am using a wireless extender how can I map my network drive using my local network?...
  5. Can't show network drives?

Can't show network drives?: With the correct setting on file sharing and everything goes well, suddenly it cannot show the network drives. what's wrong? Thanks for your help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-show-network-drives/5fd4baa2-ffb9-4e65-b3d8-4fafd3e5b4b2
  6. Local USB Backup Drive moved to Network Drive ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Local USB Backup Drive moved to Network Drive ?: Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 I have a 4TB USB drive I'm currently using for Windows File Backup. I want to move this to a NAS Drive configuration using a Raspberry Pi using this tutorial: How to Turn a Raspberry Pi into a Low-Power Network Storage Device...
  7. thumbnails not showing in network drive

thumbnails not showing in network drive: i tried many solutions, doesnt work other answers don't help what can I do ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumbnails-not-showing-in-network-drive/cfcf327a-8ab0-4780-a3e4-7277e19c7adb"
  8. photos not showing up with thumbnails in one drive

photos not showing up with thumbnails in one drive: photos not showing up with thumbnails in one drive BUT the same photos on my windows 10 pc do have thumbnails in windows explorer (outside of the one drive folders). How do I get thumbnails back on onedrive ?...
  9. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive: For some reason it changed from USB Drive to Local Disk. Now i cant use a Label Name (like MyDrive). I try to change the drive Letter and still nothing happen. When i plug the USB Driver to an other computer i see it again as a local driver. If i go to Properties -> Label...
  10. Local drive not showing in navigation pane

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Local drive not showing in navigation pane: Any clue why one of my local drives doesn't show in navigation pane? [img] 48156