Windows 10: Thumbs.db on desktop

Discus and support Thumbs.db on desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For a while I have been having a Thumbs.db icon in the top left of my desktop screen. I have tried a registry tweak - see attachment - and that seemed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 26dipp, Feb 7, 2018.

1. 26dipp Win User

Thumbs.db on desktop

For a while I have been having a Thumbs.db icon in the top left of my desktop screen. I have tried a registry tweak - see attachment - and that seemed to have worked for a couple of weeks. I disabled thumbnail caching in exporer. But now the Thumbs.db icon is back. It seems to get created when the PC boots up looking at the time stamp.
    Does anyone have any idea how to permanently stop windows from creating these desktop icons?

:)

26dipp, Feb 7, 2018
  2. ed246 Win User

Windows 10 - How to stop Thumbs.db file being created?

hello,

I have been reading this post on thumbs.db, I'm not sure who the people are with these suggestions, however, when I save an image to the desktop, it NEVER used to put the .db file on the desktop before I updated to the anniversary update. I thankfully removed
    the anniversary update and NOW I constantly see the damn thumbs.db file when I save the image.

This NEVER happened before!!

So unless you have a real solution, and cause for this, stop telling people that this is normal behavior.

ed246, Feb 7, 2018
  3. bacillus Win User
    Thumbs.db icon on desktop

On one of my three win 10 pcs every time I do cold boot start up, a thumbs.db icon is created on the desktop without me doing anything. It's easy enough to delete this file but what is causing this behaviour and can I alter it?

fwiw All three pcs are set up almost identically and have show hidden files enabled.

bacillus, Feb 7, 2018
  4. Beginning from Windows Vista, and continuing in Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 or later, users will be unable to find Thumbs.db files scatter around and place in many directories or folders again. Instead, newer Windows system stores all thumbnails and previews generated in a centralized thumbnail database. The centralized thumbnail database is located in the following folder:

\Users\[User Account Name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

The Thumbs.db files are created for shared files and only when they are remotely connected.

Are you sharing your desktop?

FreeBooter, Feb 7, 2018
  5. 26dipp Win User
    The desktop is not shared.
    I have some shared folders and I do not have strong feelings about thumbs.db there.
    I have not had any new programme installs when there was a new"thumbs.db" on the desktop.

I have just woken up the PC and it placed another thumbs.db on the desktop.
    There are plenty off thumd.db in the folder you mentioned and most, not all are from boot up and wake ups.

26dipp, Feb 7, 2018
  6. There are plenty off Thumbs.db in the folder you mentioned and most, not all are from boot up and wake ups.

Thumbs.db is much like its name. It stores graphics, movie, and some document files then generates a preview of the folder contents using a thumbnail cache. The Thumbs.db files only created when you view thumbnails of the graphics, movie, and some document files not when you boot your system or wake up your system.

You can use Thumbs Viewer program to extract thumbnail images from the Thumbs.db file this may give you clue on which files are access.

FreeBooter, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Thumbs.db on desktop

1. Thumbs.db on desktop - Similar Threads - Thumbs desktop

2. C drive failed on Win10 desktop. Replaced with new drive. Used bootable thumb drive to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive failed on Win10 desktop. Replaced with new drive. Used bootable thumb drive to...: I have an HP ProDesk 600G1 TW. The Win 10 64bit I purchased was the Pro version which I selected for the reinstall. The reinstall went fine until I declined the 365 trial and went to the next page.I could not go any further without a CC.Any ideas?Thanks....
  3. C drive failed on Win10 desktop. Replaced with new drive. Used bootable thumb drive to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive failed on Win10 desktop. Replaced with new drive. Used bootable thumb drive to...: I have an HP ProDesk 600G1 TW. The Win 10 64bit I purchased was the Pro version which I selected for the reinstall. The reinstall went fine until I declined the 365 trial and went to the next page.I could not go any further without a CC.Any ideas?Thanks....
  4. C drive failed on Win10 desktop. Replaced with new drive. Used bootable thumb drive to...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. my desktop only appears when I connect the thumb drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    my desktop only appears when I connect the thumb drive: Hi everyone,For some reason my desktop icons have disappeared and my microsoft word also stopped working. But when I put my pen drive when has a 'desktop icon' in it, all work just fine. My roommate has done something with it she cannot remember. I have a feeling she might...
  6. my desktop only appears when I connect the thumb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my desktop only appears when I connect the thumb drive: Hi everyone,For some reason my desktop icons have disappeared and my microsoft word also stopped working. But when I put my pen drive when has a 'desktop icon' in it, all work just fine. My roommate has done something with it she cannot remember. I have a feeling she might...
  7. my desktop only appears when I connect the thumb drive

8. my desktop only appears when I connect the thumb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my desktop only appears when I connect the thumb drive: Hi everyone, For some reason my desktop icons have disappeared and my microsoft word also stopped working. But when I put my pen drive when has a 'desktop icon' in it, all work just fine. My roommate has done something with it she cannot remember. I have a feeling she might...
  9. my desktop only appears when I connect the thumb drive

my desktop only appears when I connect the thumb drive: Hi everyone, For some reason my desktop icons have disappeared and my microsoft word also stopped working. But when I put my pen drive when has a 'desktop icon' in it, all work just fine. My roommate has done something with it she cannot remember. I have a feeling she might...
  10. my desktop only appears when I connect the thumb drive

in Windows 10 Customization