Windows 10: Thunderbird Email Problem

Discus and support Thunderbird Email Problem in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Every time I send email with Thunderbird I put multiple recipients in the Bcc: section and no one in the To: section and that is what is shown.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by evhid1, Aug 16, 2016.

1. evhid1 Win User

Thunderbird Email Problem

Every time I send email with Thunderbird I put multiple recipients in the Bcc: section and no one in the To: section and that is what is shown. However, when the people I'm sending it to get the email everyone is in the To: line and they can see everyone else's email address. Is there a fix for this, or did I set something wrong in Thunderbird?

:)

evhid1, Aug 16, 2016
  2. Roald_463 Win User

Windows 10 compatibility with Firefox and Thunderbird for incoming and outgoing email.

I have been using Windows 10 for approx. a year with no issues re email compatibility between Windows and Thunderbird re email, however recently I am unable to send or forward any email using Thunderbird. There is no problem with incoming, just an outgoing
    issue. Any suggestions?

Roald_463, Aug 16, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Mail - Will Send But Won't Recieve (Sync)

A lot of users are complaining about it. Could you isolate the problem by setting up your account in another mail client such as Mozilla Thunderbird?

Thunderbird — Software made to make email easier. — Mozilla

Thunderbird — Software made to make email easier.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 16, 2016
  4. Bastet Win User

Don't use Thunderbird but what happens if you enter your own email address in the To section & then put the multiple recipients in the BCC section?

Bastet, Aug 16, 2016
  5. evhid1 Win User
    We all end up on the "To:" line
    And another thing, it always puts two send emails in the send folder, /?

evhid1, Aug 16, 2016
  6. groze Win User
    Don't worry about it. It only sends one email. As far as the to line, are you sure it is showing to others? The reason I ask, it will show you the bcc emails even in the sent folder for your benefit. Doctor9fan is correct, you need a least one email in the to section. So, just add your own email.

Here is some info on BCC.

BCC - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

groze, Aug 16, 2016
  7. Hi, again:

In addition to excellent advice & KB link already offered....

Is this the same computer about which you reported Tbird problems a short time ago?
    The reason I ask is that I recall your mentioning that you had been trying lots of fixes, including changes to "Manage Identities".
    I wonder if that may have broken something in your settings/profile???

FWIW Each computer is unique, but I just tried it myself and could not reproduce the issue you are reporting now.

What I did:
    • Compose an email from my main ISP account to several recipients (ISP, webmail and Exchange domains), all of whom were addressed as "BCC:" (in other words, there were no "To:" recipients and no ""CC:" recipients).
    What I observed:
    • Normal behavior: when the email arrived, there were no visible recipients in the header. All recipients were "blind".

So, I am not sure why you are seeing what you see.
    It might possibly be a simple fix in the TBird settings, or it might not.
    I do not want to provide specific advice, as I do not want to break things any more than they are.

If no one here has a good fix, you might want to consider heading over to forums.mozillazine.org.
    It is arguably the largest, most active, most expert user-to-user community for all things Mozilla, including Thunderbird.
    I'll bet someone there will be able to sort it out.

But perhaps someone here will have an idea first...
    MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 16, 2016
  8. Thunderbird Email Problem

Actually, at least in Thunderbird, one does NOT need to have at least one address in the "To:" section.*Wink
    BCC - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

I just tried it myself with ONLY "BCC:" recipients and it worked fine.

But, that link to the mozillazine forum you provided is very helpful.*Smile

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 16, 2016
  9. groze Win User
    Your correct. I know why I said that. Sometimes your internet service may block sending an email unless there is one email in the TO: section.

groze, Aug 16, 2016
  10. Perhaps. Good idea.
    But that may not be directly related to the issue the OP reports?

If understand the issue correctly, the outgoing messages are not being blocked.
    Rather, the "BCC:" recipients are being changed to "To:" recipients.

@evhid1: please tell us -- is the behavior you report today NEW? Or has it "always" been a problem?

If it is new, then it suggests a new problem in Thunderbird (probably somewhere in your account settings or preferences).

If is has never worked properly, then I suppose there could be an issue at the ISP level (although I doubt your ISP can silently change "BCC:" to "To:" in your outgoing messages.)

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 16, 2016
  11. evhid1 Win User
    This had always been a problem. The person that informed me of this sent me a text picture of his computer screen showing everyone in the "To:" line.
    I didn't change anything in the "Manage Identities" , so I don't think that is the problem.
    I use outlook.com web version and I sent email from that web site and there is no problem there.
    It seems when I use Thunderbird to send emails that's when everyone ends up in the "To:" line, visible to all.
    And to answer your first question, yes this is me!*Redface

P.S.
    Went to forums.mozillazine.org and signed up, thanks for the tip

evhid1, Aug 16, 2016
  12. evhid1 Win User
    Went to the forums.mozillazine.org and as it turns out I'm not the only one having this problem. It seems that Microsoft has dropped some kind of mail handling in hotmail and outlook when using other then Microsoft products. As it sits now if there is enough complaints "maybe" they will fix it. But I'm not holding my breath. This "we must control everything" attitude of Microsoft is really getting bad.

evhid1, Aug 16, 2016
  13. Thunderbird Email Problem

Hi:

Interesting....

Do you have a link to your thread at the other forum?

Reason for asking:
    I am using TB email client, my ISP accounts (sender and recipients) and web (gmail recipients) and Exchange (work domain recipients) accounts.
    I do not see the behavior you report, perhaps because I am NOT using Outlook.com or Outlook or WLM or Hotmail or anything "MS", other than the Windows OS.

IOW, my "BCC:" works just fine from TB from my ISP account to multiple different recipients on different types of domains, with nothing MS-related.
    And I just sent an outbound message from my Gmail account in TB to the same recipients, all "BCC:" and it works fine there, too.
    I haven't tested this on my Win7 boxes, but I do not expect to see a problem.

Bottom line for me: Tbird sends "BCC:" messages without issue from my ISP account and from my gmail account. "BCC:" stays "BCC:".

Therefore, the problem must be with the type of account you are using to send the outgoing "BCC:" messages???

So I guess a cumbersome workaround for you might be to change to an ISP account or a webmail account (such as gmail) for your outgoing messages?
    Either that, or I am having a total "senior" moment and do not understand the underlying problem (which is entirely possible).*chuckle

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 16, 2016
  14. evhid1 Win User
  15. evhid1 Win User
    I do not want to change from outlook.com to my gmail.com account because I would have to inform my entire address book ( who I just got to remember to use outlook instead of hotmail because Microfrickingsoft screwed my hotmail account up) to change back. But I just may have to take your advise and start using my gmail account.

evhid1, Aug 16, 2016
Thema:

1. Thunderbird Email Problem - Similar Threads - Thunderbird Email Problem

2. Are there some display problems with the Thunderbird 78 email client?

in Browsers and Email
    Are there some display problems with the Thunderbird 78 email client?: Hi all - I upgraded to Thunderbird 78 today and it went smoothly, except that the mail folders are very spartan (no yellow color) and the composition (and message panes) are dark grey with white lettering. Now, I also had changed some color settings in Personaliztion under...
  3. Thunderbird stopped getting my emails

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird stopped getting my emails: All of a sudden, Thunderbird version 73.0b1 (32-bit) has stopped getting one of my email accounts emails. I have 2 email accounts through Comcast. One works through Thunderbird, the other just stopped working. I just noticed this and I'm not sure if it started when I did an...
  4. Thunderbird Profile problems

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird Profile problems: Windows v 1903 I have been running Windows 10 for about 3 months now. And in that time I have used Thunderbird for Email. Now, suddenly, it demands that I set up a Profile. But it won't let me set one up. There is no way I can produce a new profile or get one to "stick" in...
  5. Problems with Thunderbird

in Browsers and Email
    Problems with Thunderbird: Windows v 1903 I am experiencing problems with Mozilla Thunderbird dropping folders and now the Address Book. So I have copied the latest T'Bird Folder to a USB stick and will do that at least once a week. Will this ensure that I will be able to re-store all folders and...
  6. send to not opening an email in Thunderbird

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    send to not opening an email in Thunderbird: On 3/1/2019 the right click send to mail stopped working, for pictures and for pdf documents. I am using Windows 10 and Thunderbird. At one point I got an error message that another program was using my mail. Restarting produced the same error....
  7. Thunderbird email client 60.3.3 released

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird email client 60.3.3 released: Link to the Mozilla ftp. 32-bit and 64-bit versions available. Directory Listing: /pub/thunderbird/releases/60.3.3/ 123123
  8. Problem with Thunderbird and MAPI

in Browsers and Email
    Problem with Thunderbird and MAPI: Client of mine use Omni Accounts for POS system and Thundebird for Mail. On 2 new PC's when e-mailing from Omni it does not interact with Thunderbird. Windows 10 Home 64-bit Thunderbird set as default account. Have installed .Net framework 2 and C+ Redustributable. MAPI...
  9. Email error Thunderbird/Gmail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Email error Thunderbird/Gmail: Hi. Email works fine. Getting an error (lower right corner) occasionally that says "Authentication Error:" then it quickly disappears (too fast to read). Can I keep it on the screen? Dell laptop that has worked fine almost a year. No Pause button. Any fix? Thanks....
  10. Thunderbird Add-on Problem

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird Add-on Problem: I have a Dell E5500 laptop that hasn't been used for a few months. I went into Thunderbird and noticed that my Theme Font and Size Changer add-on wasn't working. I reinstalled the add-on and updated Thunderbird to version 52.3.0 and the add-on to version 55.1.These are the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sometimes thunderbird eail only has room for three receipents and other time has room for more