Windows 10: Thunderbird IMAP manual config V60 - Here's how

Discus and support Thunderbird IMAP manual config V60 - Here's how in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi folks For Thunderbird using non standard types of accounts and IMAP it's not intuitive to get into the manual config screens. After add account... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by jimbo45, Oct 23, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Thunderbird IMAP manual config V60 - Here's how

Hi folks

For Thunderbird using non standard types of accounts and IMAP it's not intuitive to get into the manual config screens.

After add account selection : (it will assume use existing email -- don't even think of using "new email address" you'll just go round in circles !!!).

What you have to do is use a totally rubbish email address e.g test.dog and then as soon as it starts looking in isp database hit the manual configuration bar and then the system goes straight into manual config and you can configure your accounts -- otherwise the system will stay forever looking in its isp database for your server !!!! even though you select manual. You don't have to be offline either.

If you use anything remotely like a sensible email address you get stuck in an endless loop between looking in isp database and coming back to original screen again if you select stop or manual configuration -- weird !!!!!!

Thunderbird IMAP manual config V60  - Here's how [​IMG]

Not sure what this fad is in "automating" everything -- it's ok if it works but when it doesn't there should be easy override options.

I didn't have problem on V52 on Linux -- anyway the get around works.

cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 23, 2018
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Thunderbird -- can't disable auto config --FIXED !!!

Hi there

I'm trying to add a new email account in Thunderbird

Somehow latest release tries to "Dumb down" the manual configuration and attempts to do it automatically.

However the email server I'm using isn't in Thunderbird's database so it seems to stay in an infinite loop.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH SOFTWARE DESIGNERS -- please don't Simplify apps too much -- give users choice of Auto / Manual config for these cases -- it's really not possible for Thunderbird to store every conceivable email provider in the database !!!!!!.

Surely at least if it can't find the email server it should say OK no server found enter manually.

If you hit Manual config it still tries the automatic lookup !!!!!!!!!

Thunderbird IMAP manual config V60  - Here's how [​IMG]

Fix though (backdoor method) !!!

select a VALID email provider --say your ISP or whatever for the email server bit

Now you can CHANGE the settings to what you want (your real server , IMAP etc etc.

What a dogs dinner of a way to do it though. !!!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 23, 2018
  3. Paul2463 Win User
    Thunderbird has suddenly stopped working with "hotmail" IMAP

Hello

Yesterday (17 November 2016) my perfectly functioning Hotmail IMap functionality in Thunderbird stopped working saying the Password is incorrect, it has been working for about 10 years prior to yesterday, nothing changed at my end. My laptop with thunderbird
    and my home computer with thunderbird both have stopped working, so its not a settings issue here, I am using the following settings:-

IMAP

imap-mail.outlook.com - 993 - SSL/TLS - Full Email address - Normal Password

SMTP

smtp-mail.outlook.com - 587 - STARTTLS - Full Email Address - Normal Password

I can log into my account on the internet no problem

Having read on the internet it could be due to 2 step authentication, I checked, it was turned off, and to be sure, I set it up and then turned it off to be sure it wasnt a glitch

I uninstalled Thunderbird and reinstalled it, I deleted my hotmail account and tried to recreate it, all to no avail, thunderbird refuses to connect, any help gratefully recieved

Paul2463, Oct 23, 2018
  4. SK-1 Win User

Mozilla Leaves Thunderbird

I need to change from Thunderbird,...can you list some alternatives?

Thema:

1. Thunderbird IMAP manual config V60 - Here's how - Similar Threads - Thunderbird IMAP manual

2. imap

in Windows 10 Gaming
    imap: 2 days ago I had to clear coockies. After I can not log in to my gmail account via windows live mail. I still can vie chrome. Ot shows in wlmYour IMAP command could not be sent to the server, due to non-network errors. This could, for example, indicate a lack of memory on...
  3. imap

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    imap: 2 days ago I had to clear coockies. After I can not log in to my gmail account via windows live mail. I still can vie chrome. Ot shows in wlmYour IMAP command could not be sent to the server, due to non-network errors. This could, for example, indicate a lack of memory on...
  4. Thunderbird question - imap vs pop

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird question - imap vs pop: I have downloaded Thunderbird and have watched an install video. I do have a question tho. If I understand correctly, it is an imap function (correct word?) rather than a POP. I guess you can choose either but it sounds like imap creates a copy of the emails on a server not...
  5. thunderbird

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    thunderbird: I can't get the reply and the other one's up on my computer. Jim Bates 860-361-6805 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thunderbird/50269599-4041-4eb1-8178-0befe3763d4d
  6. Configuring IMAP Thunderbird/gmail to work like POP?

in Browsers and Email
    Configuring IMAP Thunderbird/gmail to work like POP?: Apologizing in advance for a question that invites a "why would you want to do that?" response. But I'd like my Thunderbird, working with my gmail, configured for IMAP, to function as it did when I had it configured for POP. What I'd like is that: My Thunderbird has all...
  7. Thunderbird: Switch POP to identical IMAP profiles on 2 computers

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird: Switch POP to identical IMAP profiles on 2 computers: I have Thunderbird on 2 computers & have a POP profile on both. I want to switch to IMAP & make sure that the profile names are identical on both computers. If I change POP to IMAP on 1 computer first, how do I make sure that the IMAP profile I create on the 2nd computer is...
  8. Thunderbird V60 update -- Manual config now easy

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird V60 update -- Manual config now easy: Hi folks Finally an email client has done something sensible -- restored the ease of configuring email accounts manually. Thunderbird V60 works perfectly on Windows with several accounts on IMAP. The only thing to beware of is if you use your own mail servers (often if you...
  9. Thunderbird (now Blunderbird) Manual setup impossible

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird (now Blunderbird) Manual setup impossible: Hi there can anyone describe almost in words of 1 syllable how one can set up manual connection for the latest version of Thunderbird (now it's more deserving of the name Blunderbird). Actually DO it first - don't just send a screen shot of the menu -- IT DOESN'T WORK !!!...
  10. Thunderbird -- can't disable auto config --FIXED !!!

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird -- can't disable auto config --FIXED !!!: Hi there I'm trying to add a new email account in Thunderbird Somehow latest release tries to "Dumb down" the manual configuration and attempts to do it automatically. However the email server I'm using isn't in Thunderbird's database so it seems to stay in an...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hotmail config for thunderbird