Windows 10: Thunderbird/MozBackup failure, am in desperate straits!

Discus and support Thunderbird/MozBackup failure, am in desperate straits! in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have used MozBackup for years to restore Thunderbird after a new laptop or a reinstall of Windows, but this time it has failed, over and over.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by clemenzina, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Thunderbird/MozBackup failure, am in desperate straits!

I have used MozBackup for years to restore Thunderbird after a new laptop or a reinstall of Windows, but this time it has failed, over and over.

First, it couldn't find the pcv but it could when I went into Browse and re-selected the file. Also, I don't remember seeing this "default-release" option before.

Thunderbird/MozBackup failure, am in desperate straits! [​IMG]

Eventually it went thru the process successfully but when I open Thunderbird this is what I see - I'm sure that in the past Thunderbird opens as it was when I backed it up, not as a new blank program that needs the email a/c setting up :-/

Thunderbird/MozBackup failure, am in desperate straits! [​IMG]

I've gone round in circles - I saw (paraphrasing) "after you've installed Thunderbird open it once to make sure profiles.ini is created" but there's no profiles.ini to be found in the x86 folder. Somewhere else it said the same thing, almost, but it was registry.dat that should have been created and that's not there either.

Then I read that MozBackup 1.5.1 has problems and that 1.5.2 beta is preferable - I've always used 1.5.1. Could I install 1.5.2 beta on top of 1.5.1, or uninstall the latter and install the former? The backed up files are on D-drive, completely separate from program files, and this has always been the case.

I also found a suggested fix - the pcv file should be changed to zip and unzipped, which I've done after copying the pcv into a separate folder... but what then? I can't understand how to go about it.

I started using Thunderbird to replace Outlook Express, so you can imagine there's a heckuva lot of history to be lost *Sick

Sorry if I haven't been clear enough - am so frazzled and just can't keep stopping all ongoing "work" to install/uninstall/reboot this 'n that. I do hope someone can recommend a step-by-step.

(And to make matters worse, I'm getting the same problem that made me reinstall Win10 in the first place, that's going to be another question to TenForums!)

:)

clemenzina, Oct 7, 2019
  2. SK-1 Win User

Mozilla Leaves Thunderbird

I need to change from Thunderbird,...can you list some alternatives?

SK-1, Oct 7, 2019
  3. rick22 Win User
    Mozilla Leaves Thunderbird

yes gmail and mail.com

rick22, Oct 7, 2019
  4. Thunderbird/MozBackup failure, am in desperate straits!

Thunderbird and Windows 10

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, perform the following troubleshooting steps:

• Temporary disable software that could be blocking Thunderbird's functionality. (e.g. Antivirus software)
    • If the issue still persists, perform a clean boot to identify what software is hindering Thunderbird. Click on this

link
      on how.
    Let us know how it goes.

Gerald Vit, Oct 7, 2019
Thema:

Thunderbird/MozBackup failure, am in desperate straits!

1. Thunderbird/MozBackup failure, am in desperate straits! - Similar Threads - Thunderbird MozBackup failure

2. I am desperate, nothing appears in the sounds.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am desperate, nothing appears in the sounds.: HelloNO DEVICES appear in the playback tab nor the Recording tab. Yes I have check the disabled and disconnected boxes and still nothing appears.I have a soundcard in the laptop obviously and I have my headset connected to the laptop as well.But for some reason, and Dxdiag...
  3. I am desperate, nothing appears in the sounds.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am desperate, nothing appears in the sounds.: HelloNO DEVICES appear in the playback tab nor the Recording tab. Yes I have check the disabled and disconnected boxes and still nothing appears.I have a soundcard in the laptop obviously and I have my headset connected to the laptop as well.But for some reason, and Dxdiag...
  4. I am desperate, nothing appears in the sounds.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. thunderbird

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    thunderbird: I can't get the reply and the other one's up on my computer. Jim Bates 860-361-6805 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thunderbird/50269599-4041-4eb1-8178-0befe3763d4d
  6. Using Thunderbird

in Browsers and Email
    Using Thunderbird: Hi, hope it's ok to ask here .... the Mozilla Forum is a right PITA, assuming there is one after looking for ages! The Help tells you BS.. e.g. I want to enter multiple recipients to an email message and it says Type a recipient directly into the address field, then press...
  7. Using Thunderbird

in Windows 10 Support
    Using Thunderbird: Hi, hope it's ok to ask here .... the Mozilla Forum is a right PITA, assuming there is one after looking for ages! The Help tells you BS.. e.g. I want to enter multiple recipients to an email message and it says Type a recipient directly into the address field, then press...
  8. Is there any MozBackup alternative?

in Browsers and Email
    Is there any MozBackup alternative?: I have scoured the web and can't seem to find a reliable backup/restore tool for Firefox/Thunderbird Any suggestions? 166373
  9. Desperate Much?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desperate Much?: [ATTACH] Once again, Windows 10 restarts my computer without my permission, only to do this. https://preview.redd.it/i0dfiwwphij51.jpg?width=1920&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=2cfea96f5bb49fab7e2befc4ecd4918397f06dbe submitted by /u/NomizakGurnisson [link] [comments]...
  10. mozbackup failing in batch file

in Browsers and Email
    mozbackup failing in batch file: I know that the author is no longer supporting mozbackup. But I'm experiencing a problem that I thought perhaps someone has found a fix for. I run mozbackup from a batch file with a single line of code: MozBackup.exe default.mozprofile default.mozprofile contains...