Windows 10: Thunderbird: Switch POP to identical IMAP profiles on 2 computers

Discus and support Thunderbird: Switch POP to identical IMAP profiles on 2 computers in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have Thunderbird on 2 computers & have a POP profile on both. I want to switch to IMAP & make sure that the profile names are identical on both... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by phrab, Nov 30, 2018.

1. phrab Win User

Thunderbird: Switch POP to identical IMAP profiles on 2 computers

I have Thunderbird on 2 computers & have a POP profile on both. I want to switch to IMAP & make sure that the profile names are identical on both computers. If I change POP to IMAP on 1 computer first, how do I make sure that the IMAP profile I create on the 2nd computer is identical?
    Thank you in advance.

:)

phrab, Nov 30, 2018
  2. emvee Win User

Thunderbird does not show GMail folders

I am running Thunderbird 45.2.0 on a Windows 10 Pro X64 desktop PC without any problems. I access 2 GMail accounts, and a Yahoo account for a couple of years.

I also access these accounts on a Windows 10 Pro X64 laptop running the same version of Thunderbird. Recently, the IMAP folders disappeared in Thunderbird.

I cannot retrieve the IMAP folders, even after uninstalling Thunderbird, deleting all unused folders in Program Files and in Appdata. I also removed unused registry keys in the hope of getting rid of any corruption associated with Thunderbird installation.

After installing Thunderbird again, the problem remains: I only see an Inbox folder for the accounts, no other accounts as are still available on the Desktop installation.

I selected imap.gmail.com port 993 as the IMAP server and smtp.gmail.com port 465 as SMTP server as Thunderbird suggested. I changed the authentication to Normal password, as used on the desktop PC. However, Thunderbird reports User Name or password incorrect. The user name and password I use is correct: I can log in to GMail in Windows Edge with the user name and password I try to use in the Thunderbird setup.

I suspect the problem to be with Thunderbird as I tried to copy the profile files from the desktop PC to the laptop but the problem persists, even with the Yahoo account.

Any suggestions to get this going on the laptop?

emvee, Nov 30, 2018
  3. Paul2463 Win User
    Thunderbird has suddenly stopped working with "hotmail" IMAP

Hello

Yesterday (17 November 2016) my perfectly functioning Hotmail IMap functionality in Thunderbird stopped working saying the Password is incorrect, it has been working for about 10 years prior to yesterday, nothing changed at my end. My laptop with thunderbird
    and my home computer with thunderbird both have stopped working, so its not a settings issue here, I am using the following settings:-

IMAP

imap-mail.outlook.com - 993 - SSL/TLS - Full Email address - Normal Password

SMTP

smtp-mail.outlook.com - 587 - STARTTLS - Full Email Address - Normal Password

I can log into my account on the internet no problem

Having read on the internet it could be due to 2 step authentication, I checked, it was turned off, and to be sure, I set it up and then turned it off to be sure it wasnt a glitch

I uninstalled Thunderbird and reinstalled it, I deleted my hotmail account and tried to recreate it, all to no avail, thunderbird refuses to connect, any help gratefully recieved

Paul2463, Nov 30, 2018
  4. Thunderbird: Switch POP to identical IMAP profiles on 2 computers

email switch from pop to imap

Do I really need to make the switch from POP to IMAP as Xfinity has stated? If so, then I may need help making this switch. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!!!

SharonDukeman1, Nov 30, 2018
Thema:

Thunderbird: Switch POP to identical IMAP profiles on 2 computers

1. Thunderbird: Switch POP to identical IMAP profiles on 2 computers - Similar Threads - Thunderbird Switch POP

2. Thunderbird question - imap vs pop

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird question - imap vs pop: I have downloaded Thunderbird and have watched an install video. I do have a question tho. If I understand correctly, it is an imap function (correct word?) rather than a POP. I guess you can choose either but it sounds like imap creates a copy of the emails on a server not...
  3. em client can't verify identity of "imap-mail.outlook.com"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    em client can't verify identity of "imap-mail.outlook.com": I keep getting this now after 4 months of my outlook mail working perfectly, now all of a sudden I get this: em client can't verify identity of "imap-mail.outlook.com", See pic for error message: [ATTACH] IMAP: Port: 993, Security Policy: Use SSL/TLS on special port...
  4. Configuring IMAP Thunderbird/gmail to work like POP?

in Browsers and Email
    Configuring IMAP Thunderbird/gmail to work like POP?: Apologizing in advance for a question that invites a "why would you want to do that?" response. But I'd like my Thunderbird, working with my gmail, configured for IMAP, to function as it did when I had it configured for POP. What I'd like is that: My Thunderbird has all...
  5. eMail Deletions, And POP vs IMAP ?

in Browsers and Email
    eMail Deletions, And POP vs IMAP ?: Hello, In my 80's now, so please bear with me a bit. Probably miss many of the nuances now. Use Comcast for all eMails, etc. Have the Account, I think, set up as a IMAP, which was recommended. Problem is, if an eMail comes in, and I see it first on my iPhone, it is...
  6. eMail Deletions, And POP vs IMAP ?

in Windows 10 Support
    eMail Deletions, And POP vs IMAP ?: Hello, In my 80's now, so please bear with me a bit. Probably miss many of the nuances now. Use Comcast for all eMails, etc. Have the Account, I think, set up as a IMAP, which was recommended. Problem is, if an eMail comes in, and I see it first on my iPhone, it is...
  7. Thunderbird Profile problems

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird Profile problems: Windows v 1903 I have been running Windows 10 for about 3 months now. And in that time I have used Thunderbird for Email. Now, suddenly, it demands that I set up a Profile. But it won't let me set one up. There is no way I can produce a new profile or get one to "stick" in...
  8. Problem after switching outlook account from POP to IMAP

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem after switching outlook account from POP to IMAP: I switched my email application from POP to IMAP. I now have a new account showing in the connections display. All emails now go to the new account. However, my calendar, contacts and save messages are going to the old account. How do I fix this so all of the previous...
  9. Thunderbird IMAP manual config V60 - Here's how

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird IMAP manual config V60 - Here's how: Hi folks For Thunderbird using non standard types of accounts and IMAP it's not intuitive to get into the manual config screens. After add account selection : (it will assume use existing email -- don't even think of using "new email address" you'll just go round in circles...
  10. email switch from pop to imap

in Windows 10 Customization
    email switch from pop to imap: Do I really need to make the switch from POP to IMAP as Xfinity has stated? If so, then I may need help making this switch. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!!!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. switch smtp to imap thunderbird