Windows 10: Thunderbird times out after Windows 10 upgrade

Discus and support Thunderbird times out after Windows 10 upgrade in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Upgraded to Windows 10 ver 1607 build 14393.1198 and now TB's little wheel just spins, eventually timing out. I've uninstalled TB using Revo... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Syclone11, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Syclone11 Win User

Thunderbird times out after Windows 10 upgrade

Upgraded to Windows 10 ver 1607 build 14393.1198 and now TB's little wheel just spins, eventually timing out. I've uninstalled TB using Revo uninstaller which finds and deletes leftovers. The re-downloaded the latest TB and reinstalled. No help. I've checked settings which haven't changed. I can get email just fine on my mini laptop. I use IMAP. I can browse the internet just fine. (Just joined here.) All ideas appreciated. Even weird ones.

Thanks...

Don

:)

Syclone11, Jun 11, 2017
  2. SO7887 Win User

Yes or No? Does Windows 10 Support Mozilla Thunderbird?

I'm considering upgrading to Windows 10 and run Mozilla Thunderbird (version 38.7.2) as my email client.

I've seen lots of posts reporting problems with Mozilla Thunderbird after people upgrade.

But I haven't seen a definitive answer as to whether Windows 10 supports Mozilla Thunderbird effectively.

Can anyone tell me - definitively - that I can upgrade to Windows 10 without problems with Mozilla Thunderbird?

Thank you.

SO7887, Jun 11, 2017
  3. Jsssssssss, Jun 11, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I use Tbird, same Windows build, no problems- except I use POP3.

When do you find
    ?

Is that when you try to receive, or send mail?

dalchina, Jun 11, 2017
  5. Syclone11 Win User
    Just checked. Can't send either. So it's both sending and recieving All very strange. TB has been on IMAP for a long time. Well over a year, with no problems. So I don't think it's that. It seems that, somehow, Windows is blocking just that program.

Thanks.

Syclone11, Jun 11, 2017
  6. Syclone11 Win User
    I tried "run as Administrator" and that didn't help either. It does turn out I can send though. Sorry.

Syclone11, Jun 11, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you said you upgraded to Windows 10 ver 1607 build 14393.1198 - may I ask from what ... a different Windows build?

And what's your Tbird build?

Do you have any particular AV/Firewall solution in place?

Can you access your email accounts using a browser?

dalchina, Jun 11, 2017
  8. Syclone11 Win User

Yes, I can access email from a browser.

I use Eset AV, never had an issue before. I can stop Eset temporarily and that didn't help.

Thunderbird 52.1.1

Updated from Win 10 ver 15?? I'll have to check.

As I write this I'm on a different computer that is also setup to get my email. Works fine. I'm gonna have to sit sown with both computers is front of me and see if I can find what's different. This ver of Tbird is 45.5.1 I can revert to a previous ver easy enough. I can try that.

Meantime all ideas still welcome.

Thanks

Syclone11, Jun 11, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    I'm on 45.8 - despite being on the release channel... so am applying the update.
    Receiving via POP3 is ok with latest build.

You may want to check your version of ESET, but you said stopping it didn't help.

You can try Tbird with no addons - e.g. Help, Restart with...

Are both PCs the same Windows build?

dalchina, Jun 11, 2017
  10. Syclone11 Win User
    OK, I've got both machines running next to each other. I'll check your question and various settings to see if they match. Will get back asap. I started Tbird with addons disabled. It started but didn't fix anything.

Thanks.

Syclone11, Jun 11, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi
    Try separating the issue- Windows vs email client. Download a small email client such as Pop peeper (This is a really neat free/commercial utility, great for quickly scanning mail across a number of accounts and indicating if there is mail and allowing you to process it and delete rubbish).

Configure one IMAP account. If that client can access your mail, it's a Tbird issue.

Is Tbird set to use a proxy?

Try in Tbird, Help, Troubleshooting Information - this will help compare your two systems.

Just to check- not all email providers implement IMAP. Can you confirm you are certain yours does?

Consider using Ccleaner

Thunderbird times out after Windows 10 upgrade [​IMG]

I came across this:
    ubuntu - Clear and rebuild IMAP cache in Thunderbird - Super User

Then there's the basic question of how IMAP is implemented, and how one might repair that. Not something I've come across to date.

Try (although this is probably redundant as you have 1 PC that can access your accounts)
    Email Server Test | SMTP Exchange IMAP POP3 Server Testing

and Telnet
    How to test your email with Telnet | 123-reg Support

Connect to IMAP server with telnet | Tech Bits

You could also consider posting a question on Mozilla's forum.

dalchina, Jun 12, 2017
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    I wouldn't advise these days using POP3 - especially if you have more than one device -- IMAP is the way to do it.
    Although I use Thunderbird on Linux it's the same on Windows - but remember on Windows it probably requires some part of Firefox or some of the binary / executable libraries that firefox uses. - IMO an infinitely superior browser to IE or Edge --the only reason I even THINK of using Edge is that it can read pdf files without needing a pdf reader application and can print them to a pdf file.

Thunderbird times out after Windows 10 upgrade [​IMG]

Update Firefox (or install it) and then re-install thunderbird.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 16, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

...yes, if your server supports IMAP- I use some old ones that have not been updated, but am moving away from them.

dalchina, Jun 16, 2017
  14. Syclone11 Win User
    Well this issue hasn't changed. I tried installing Tbird as a different user, no help. I've checked settings 'till I'm blue-in-the-face. When I attempted a restore from MozBackup it switched Tbird to POP and brought everything over then quit. This is very strange. I can usually fix a computer, used to do get paid to fix them but this has me stumped. Next I'm gonna see what happens when I do a restore on a completely different computer. Should have but haven't called the ISP to see if something is going on there. My ISP, Comcast, and my mail provider are two different folks. Been doing it this way for years with -0- issues but then who knows...

Thanks for the tips.

Syclone11, Jun 16, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    It's no comfort, but for what it's worth I use accounts from >4 different providers - two old and obsolete ones that my ISP took over years ago, then zoho.com - a free/commercial one totally separate I've been moving things to; gmail.

Occasionally one or both of the obsolete ones has a glitch and don't respond- then that gets sorted out. Thunderbird copes with them all.

Could a significant port be blocked?

How to test your email with Telnet | 123-reg Support

Email Troubleshooting, Including IMAP, Dovecot, and Linux

Email Server Test | SMTP Exchange IMAP POP3 Server Testing

dalchina, Jun 16, 2017
Thema:

1. Thunderbird times out after Windows 10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Thunderbird times upgrade

2. 8.1 to 10 upgrade after some time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    8.1 to 10 upgrade after some time: Long time ago I've bought 2 Windows 8 Pro licenses and used them on old laptops, during "free upgrade to Windows 10" offering I upgraded both and some more windows 8 systems to win10. Then those two laptops have broke and I somehow lost those licenses keys. Recently I was...
  3. 8.1 to 10 upgrade after some time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    8.1 to 10 upgrade after some time: Long time ago I've bought 2 Windows 8 Pro licenses and used them on old laptops, during "free upgrade to Windows 10" offering I upgraded both and some more windows 8 systems to win10. Then those two laptops have broke and I somehow lost those licenses keys. Recently I was...
  4. Emails will not write to Thunderbird app after Windows 10 reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Emails will not write to Thunderbird app after Windows 10 reset: I followed the procedure to reset Windows 10 on my HP Pavilion-g Laptop. It was successful and the updates installed, but now I cannot download email to my Thunderbird app and get the message "Unable to write the email to the mailbox....". "Unable to write the email to the...
  5. thunderbird

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    thunderbird: I can't get the reply and the other one's up on my computer. Jim Bates 860-361-6805 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thunderbird/50269599-4041-4eb1-8178-0befe3763d4d
  6. Wiped out all my Thunderbird accounts..

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wiped out all my Thunderbird accounts..: Here's one for you I bet you haven't heard yet. A window popped up saying my SD card I use to run portable apps off had errors and would I like Windows to correct it. I naturally said yes, and Windows came back with another poppup saying the drive was repaired. I then...
  7. Windows 10 deleted Thunderbird

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 deleted Thunderbird: On my laptop, this morning (5 March 2019) a blue screen appeared stating that an error had been detected and Windows would restart shortly. It did, but I found that my email program, Mozilla Thunderbird, had been deleted. So far, no other programs seem to have been affected....
  8. Thunderbird and MSGTAG with Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird and MSGTAG with Windows 10: PLEASE refrain from posting on the ethics of email tracking, this is a purely technical matter. I have used MSGTAG on my XP Outlook Express email consistently and with great success for 12 years or more. Having recently acquired a new PC with Win 10, I have now made...
  9. Accounts in windows 10 and Thunderbird

in Browsers and Email
    Accounts in windows 10 and Thunderbird: After upgrading to windows 10 I added my outlook.com account to "mail" in windows 10. I didn't like it, and had trouble using the "sync" function but eventually got it synced and folders rebuilt and files over to it. I have now installed Thunderbird and like that program much...
  10. Keyboard locked out after Windows 10 upgrade.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard locked out after Windows 10 upgrade.: Product Name: HP Spectre x360 - 13-4158ca Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit) 1. I recently had to reinstall windows 10 on my laptop because of a failed ssd. I've managed to reinstall windows 10 using a bootable USB media. 2. Install process and user...