Windows 10: Thunderbolt 3 on fresh Windows 10 Install causing DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION

Discus and support Thunderbolt 3 on fresh Windows 10 Install causing DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Problem I have the Gigabyte Designare 10G rev1 motherboard which has 2 thunderbolt 3 integrated. I installed Windows 10 Pro and then installed all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JamesBowen5, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Thunderbolt 3 on fresh Windows 10 Install causing DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION

Problem

I have the Gigabyte Designare 10G rev1 motherboard which has 2 thunderbolt 3 integrated.

I installed Windows 10 Pro and then installed all the drivers provided by the motherboard.

Once I approved the thunderbolt 3 drive from the "control center" I get a blue screen with this error.

My external hardrive is the LaCie Rugged SSD Thunderbolt3.

Error

Filename: ntsorknl.exe

PM DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION 0x000000e6 00000000`00000026 ffff800b`5a026060 00000000`00000001 00000000`00000005 ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+3f3ea0 NT Kernel & System Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 10.0.19041.508 WinBuild.160101.0800 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+3f3ea0 C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\091220-11140-01.dmp 36 15 19041 2,609,852 9/12/2020 7:05:44 PM

Observations

I've tried a fresh install of windows 10 before installing any drivers and I still get that same error.

The very strange thing is I did a fresh install of windows 10 a third time and right on first boot I accepted this thunderbolt 3 connection very quickly and it worked without crashing!! A few minutes later after the machine was booted, I tried again to unplug and redo it and would get the blue screen again. This is making me think there is a process that boots on windows boot that is some sort of security feature that crashes the machine when the hard drive connects.

Since this happened both on a fresh windows install and also on an install with all motherboard drivers installed, I'm going to assume there is an issue on the windows 10 side of things?

I've also tried

- disabling windows defender

- disabling widows malicious tools remover

- disabling antivirus

- disabling thunderbolt 3 authentification in the bios

- trying both thunderbolt 3 ports on the machine

:)

JamesBowen5, Sep 12, 2020

2. thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter

Hi John,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that inconvenience you are facing when the things may not work as expected.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?

When the Thunderbolt 3 is used with certain eighth generation Intel processor-based Windows 10 systems, there is a possibility that the two USB 3.0 ports on the back of the dock (closest to the Ethernet port)
    may not be recognized properly by the operating system.

However, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and let us know if that helps.

1. Disconnect the pluggable Thunderbolt 3 dock from the system and remove its power cable to turn off completely.
    2. Uninstall the Intel ‘Thunderbolt Software’ present on your system via the Control Panel ->
      Programs and Features and restart the device once.
    3. Download and install the latest version of the Intel Thunderbolt Software published by your system manufacturer. If you are unable to obtain this download from your system manufacturer, you can download a version directly from Intel
      here -> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i7HNK-NUC8i7HVK
    4. Restart the system once again.
    5. Reconnect the power cable to the pluggable Thunderbolt 3 dock, and then reconnect the Thunderbolt 3 cable from the dock to your system.
    6. You should be prompted to authenticate/approve the dock. Follow the onscreen prompts for the completion of the process and check the status of the issue.

If the issue still persists I suggest you to get in touch with the
    Thunderbolt support for the further assistance.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Sep 12, 2020
  3. DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION (e6) ThinkPad P1 Gen 2 Win10 Clean Install

The error appears to be network driver related with Symantec drivers (symnets.sya and IDSvia64.sys) possibly causing the crash.

Can you temporarily uninstall Norton and use Windows built-in antivirus and firewall.

There have been similar reports of DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION errors that appeared to be, at least indirectly, related to the Thunderbolt driver so check that the Thunderbolt driver and firmware are up to date.

auggy [Directly], Sep 12, 2020
  4. Delta6326 Win User

Thunderbolt 3 on fresh Windows 10 Install causing DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION

Delta6326, Sep 12, 2020
Thema:

Thunderbolt 3 on fresh Windows 10 Install causing DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION

1. Thunderbolt 3 on fresh Windows 10 Install causing DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION - Similar Threads - Thunderbolt fresh Install

2. Thunderbolt 3 driver installation failed - Error 0x80070643

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Thunderbolt 3 driver installation failed - Error 0x80070643: I have a Corsair TBT100 and when trying to connect it with my Lenovo Thinkpad T14s, I had to download the firmware for the Thunderbolt 3 port. However, during the installation the Error 0x80070643 keeps popping up and after investigating, it seems that the DCH driver cannot...
  3. Windows 10 BSOD Driver_Verifier_DMA_Violation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 BSOD Driver_Verifier_DMA_Violation: Hey, So I updated windows on my Microsoft Surface Pro 7 maybe a month ago, and ever since, I've been getting constant blue screen crashes that say "driver_verifier_dma_violation". They occur every 10-15 minutes of use on my pc. I've already tried disabling driver verifier,...
  4. Thunderbolt 3 causing DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thunderbolt 3 causing DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION: I have the Gigabyte Designare 10G rev1 motherboard which has 2 thunderbolt 3 integrated. I installed Windows 10 Pro and then installed all the drivers provided by the motherboard. Once I plug in my external hard drive and approve the thunderbolt 3 connection from the...
  5. Thunderbolt 3 USB Devices, Device Mgr and Thunderbolt Drivers

Thunderbolt 3 USB Devices, Device Mgr and Thunderbolt Drivers: One topic that may be helpful to thunderbolt 3 users on Win 10. For various reasons you can have thunderbolt 3 usb - c port hardware installed on your win 10 box and may not see thunderbolt 3 drivers present in the device mgr. One reason for this is the thunderbolt drivers...
  6. How to display through thunderbolt 3 with "thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter" and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to display through thunderbolt 3 with "thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter" and...: I have a Lenovo yoga 920 running windows 10, with no HDMI or DisplayPort. I have an apple thunderbolt 3 male/thunderbolt 2 female, adapter. Then I have an old Displayport to HDMI cable. (FYI: thunderbolt 2 and display port used the same connector) When I plug all this...
  7. Just installed Windows 10 1909 3 monitors Chrome is causing 2 monitors on thunderbolt port...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Just installed Windows 10 1909 3 monitors Chrome is causing 2 monitors on thunderbolt port...: The Thunderbolt connected monitors continue to reset over and over as if they are being disconnected and re-connected. It's not just the Fraiser reruns on Prime but every video. The frequency of the resets changes occasionally. This problem has never occurred until I...
  8. DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION: Hi I have been getting this error (BSOD DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION (e6)). Atached you can find BSOD. Thanks in advance.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/driververifierdmaviolation/d58bdb40-8507-41cd-8d32-eec88d0c6e8b
  9. thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter

thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter: I have a problem with a thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter. It's actually thunderbolt 3 to HDMI, though it conforms to the displayport spec. When I use my laptop without it connected like at home then put the laptop to sleep and I come into the office and connect it windows...
  10. Window 10: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION

Window 10: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION: I'm trying to get to the bottom of the blue screen error I'm getting on my Alienware 15 R4: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION. It seems to happen spontaneously, sometimes under heavy load, sometimes when just downloading something. As far as I can tell the built-in windows 10...