Windows 10: thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter

Discus and support thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a problem with a thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter. It's actually thunderbolt 3 to HDMI, though it conforms to the displayport spec. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JohnLong- [O365], Mar 4, 2019.

1. thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter

I have a problem with a thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter. It's actually thunderbolt 3 to HDMI, though it conforms to the displayport spec. When I use my laptop without it connected like at home then put the laptop to sleep and I come into the office and connect it windows detects that it's connected but there is no signal on the monitor. I have 3 monitors and it doesn't matter which one it's connected to. Windows shows the monitor is active and is at the correct resolution. If I unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the monitor windows detects that the monitor was removed and it is no longer available. I have to reboot the computer to get it to work.

I'm not sure if it's the adapter because at this point it's the only thing I haven't swapped, well and the computer also. I don't have another laptop with a thunderbolt 3 to displayport capability to test with. I'm going to get another thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter and see what happens, but I wanted to start this discussion before I get it to see if there are any possible solutions outside that.

I did force the monitor to default to the HDMI port. I also tried another HDMI cable, though I'm not surprised that didn't fix it.

Thanks,

John

:)

JohnLong- [O365], Mar 4, 2019

2. Thunderbolt 3 not able to display?

Hey there, having huge problem with my new adapter.

I can't seem to make my laptop display on my monitor with a thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter, here is the Info I can give:

I have a gaming laptop and used a HDMI cable to plug it in to a monitor.

The Monitor is 144hz and g-sync capable, so I decided to ditch HDMI and go for DisplayPort.

I have recently bought a Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort adapter (LAPTOP<--TB3---DisplayPort-->Monitor)

I know that my computer is TB3 capable since there is the little "lightning" sign on top of the input area.

When I connect the Adapter, it emits light, I therefore know Its being powered, though there is no signal received by the monitor.

-Every time I connect the TB3 into my laptop, it says "thunderbolt device functionality might be limited" and that links me to a very unhelpful Windows support page telling me to literally verify that I plugged it in well.

can someone help me fix my issue? I really want to be able to use TB3's full potential to display my laptop's screen.

I am running Windows 10 Home 64bit version 10.0.16299 build 16299

Laptop is Dell's Alienware 17r3

monitor is an Acer Predator

adapter is a Startech TB3 to DP

(drivers are normally up to date)

AlexandreCorbett, Mar 4, 2019
  3. Apple Thunderbolt Display with Dell XPS13 9360 with Thunderbolt 3 to 2 Adapter

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply. I made a mistake, it's actually an Apple Cinema Display so uses DisplayPort rather than Thunderbolt 2.

Should work now.

TroyMcmanaman, Mar 4, 2019
  4. thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter

Apple Thunderbolt Display with Dell XPS13 9360 with Thunderbolt 3 to 2 Adapter

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 13 9360 and am hoping there is a way to use it with an Apple Thunderbolt display. I have purchased a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter but have had no luck. When I plug in the display through the adapter I get a message saying 'Thunderbolt
    device functionality might be limited.' And then the display doesn't work.

I'm wondering whether perhaps there is a driver I can download, although I haven't been able to find one so far.

I've seen the odd post where people seem to have managed to get this to work but haven't gone into detail.

Any ideas?

Thanks

TroyMcmanaman, Mar 4, 2019
Thema:

thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter

1. thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter - Similar Threads - thunderbolt displayport adapter

2. DisplayPort to HDMI adapter works on Linux but not on Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DisplayPort to HDMI adapter works on Linux but not on Windows: A few months ago I bought a second monitor for my desktop computer. The monitor I bought is the same model as my main monitor Samsung T35F, which is a 75hz, 1080p monitor with AMD Freesync technology. My GPU is an AMD RX 6700XT which only has one HDMI output, so I had to buy...
  3. EliteBook x360 830 G6 not recognizing Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    EliteBook x360 830 G6 not recognizing Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter: Product: HP EliteBook x360 830 G6 Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit Apple Thunderbolt 3 cable not recognized in Device Manager after plugging it into the TB 3 port and rebooting. Searched HP, Microsoft, and Intel for solutions and/or drivers to no avail. Does...
  4. Thunderbolt 3 causing DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thunderbolt 3 causing DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION: I have the Gigabyte Designare 10G rev1 motherboard which has 2 thunderbolt 3 integrated. I installed Windows 10 Pro and then installed all the drivers provided by the motherboard. Once I plug in my external hard drive and approve the thunderbolt 3 connection from the...
  5. Thunderbolt 3 conflicting with internal SSD

Thunderbolt 3 conflicting with internal SSD: Hi, So I have connected via thunderbolt 3 a sonnett echo 3 which is an external multi card PCIe enclosure, and then daisy chained to a thunderbolt i/o expansion dock. I have two internal drives in my laptop, my OS windows 10 drive is on a M.2, and my second drive is a...
  6. Thunderbolt 3 USB Devices, Device Mgr and Thunderbolt Drivers

Thunderbolt 3 USB Devices, Device Mgr and Thunderbolt Drivers: One topic that may be helpful to thunderbolt 3 users on Win 10. For various reasons you can have thunderbolt 3 usb - c port hardware installed on your win 10 box and may not see thunderbolt 3 drivers present in the device mgr. One reason for this is the thunderbolt drivers...
  7. How to display through thunderbolt 3 with "thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter" and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to display through thunderbolt 3 with "thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter" and...: I have a Lenovo yoga 920 running windows 10, with no HDMI or DisplayPort. I have an apple thunderbolt 3 male/thunderbolt 2 female, adapter. Then I have an old Displayport to HDMI cable. (FYI: thunderbolt 2 and display port used the same connector) When I plug all this...
  8. Monitor is not working with DisplayPort to HDMI adapter

Monitor is not working with DisplayPort to HDMI adapter: I have a HP EliteDisplay E222 and it is not able to recieve signals using a HDMI to DisplayPort adapter. I have tried plugging in the DisplayPort side of the adapter into my computer and into my graphics card and both of them give me no signal and that makes me think it is...
  9. Mini-DisplayPort (Thunderbolt 1) to Displayport external display not recognised in windows...

Mini-DisplayPort (Thunderbolt 1) to Displayport external display not recognised in windows...: I am attempting to connect my 2012 unibody non-retina Macbook pro to an external display. MacOS runs flawlessly on the external display connected using a Mini-DisplayPort (mac-side) to DisplayPort (external monitor-side) cable. Windows 10, however, fails to recognize the...
  10. Displayport to HDMI Cable vs Adapter

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Displayport to HDMI Cable vs Adapter: Getting a new PC next week, which has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (3gb). Want to use the NVIDIA's Displayports on a dual monitor setup (HDMI inputs only). 1. Displayport to HDMI cable or adapter or does it matter ? 2. Any gotacha's I should look out for when buying ? 104342