Windows 10: Thunderbolt dock failing to install, "Installation of this device is forbidden by system...

Discus and support Thunderbolt dock failing to install, "Installation of this device is forbidden by system... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an issue that is affecting 8 users on three different models of dell laptops dell XPS 15 9750, dell latitude 7400, dell latitude 7490, all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Grant Ohman, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Thunderbolt dock failing to install, "Installation of this device is forbidden by system...

I have an issue that is affecting 8 users on three different models of dell laptops dell XPS 15 9750, dell latitude 7400, dell latitude 7490, all running windows 10 1909 enterprise. I have talked with Dell support and they claim they are unable to assist as this is a windows related issue.

Synopsis: When a user plugs their dell thunderbolt dock into their laptop, the dock does not register. In device manager, there is a missing "PCI to PCI bridge" device. Upon trying to install the device, we receive an error stating this is blocked by system policy.

We have nothing in our group policy that blocks the installation of devices.

I found an article that adds backstory as to why this issue is occurring: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2516445/blocking-the-sbp-2-driver-and-thunderbolt-controllers-to-reduce-1394-d. However, this update was almost two years ago, and we just now started having problems. I followed the steps in this article, however instead of blocking the device, I placed hardware ID PCI\CC_0C0A in our domain policy under “allow installation of devices that match any of these device IDs”.

This allowed the PCI device to install and the dock worked, however only until the user undocked and then re-docked their laptop. Then the device was once again failing to install.

If I check the registry of one of these laptops, I can see that in "\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions\AllowDeviceIDs", device 'PCI\CC_0C0A' is present. However, this same device is also showing under "\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions\DenyDeviceIDs", which is the root cause behind blocking the device from installing.

I have tried various searches on the internet, most point to just blocking the device and don't explain how to remediate the problem. I've updated all of the drivers using Dell's utility and checked windows update, and have not been able to find a resolution. I cannot figure out what is telling windows to block this device, or why this specific device keeps getting added back to the registry under restricted devices, even though I have explicitly stated in the domain policy to allow installation. I've checked the windows update history and didn't find any recently installed updates around the time of when this started occurring Feb 4th. As a bandaid fix, I can manually remove the DenyDeviceIDs folder and install the device in device manager, which again only works until the user undocks/redocks their laptop.

Thanks.

:)

Grant Ohman, Feb 13, 2020

2. thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter

Hi John,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that inconvenience you are facing when the things may not work as expected.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?

When the Thunderbolt 3 is used with certain eighth generation Intel processor-based Windows 10 systems, there is a possibility that the two USB 3.0 ports on the back of the dock (closest to the Ethernet port)
    may not be recognized properly by the operating system.

However, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and let us know if that helps.

1. Disconnect the pluggable Thunderbolt 3 dock from the system and remove its power cable to turn off completely.
    2. Uninstall the Intel ‘Thunderbolt Software’ present on your system via the Control Panel ->
      Programs and Features and restart the device once.
    3. Download and install the latest version of the Intel Thunderbolt Software published by your system manufacturer. If you are unable to obtain this download from your system manufacturer, you can download a version directly from Intel
      here -> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i7HNK-NUC8i7HVK
    4. Restart the system once again.
    5. Reconnect the power cable to the pluggable Thunderbolt 3 dock, and then reconnect the Thunderbolt 3 cable from the dock to your system.
    6. You should be prompted to authenticate/approve the dock. Follow the onscreen prompts for the completion of the process and check the status of the issue.

If the issue still persists I suggest you to get in touch with the
    Thunderbolt support for the further assistance.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Feb 13, 2020
  3. ericnixmd Win User
    Dell Thunderbolt Dock

I recently purchased a Dell Thunderbolt dock for my Precision 3520. I hooked up my Logitech universal receiver to the Thunderbolt dock. The mouse and keyboard have significant lags (the keyboard repeats itself periodically). As soon as I move the receiver back to the laptop, the lags disappear. The problem is so bad that the mouse and keyboard are basically unusable when plugged into the Thunderbolt dock.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with either a Dell or other brand Thunderbolt dock? Have you been able to resolve it?

ericnixmd, Feb 13, 2020
  4. btarunr Win User

Thunderbolt dock failing to install, "Installation of this device is forbidden by system...

Belkin Announces Availability of the Thunderbolt Express Dock

Belkin today announced the availability of the Thunderbolt Express Dock, a sleek, compact, cable-clutter-free dock for Mac computers with Thunderbolt ports. Belkin's Thunderbolt Express Dock is the only solution that is equipped with two Thunderbolt ports, allowing users to daisy-chain up to five additional Thunderbolt high-speed devices while maintaining maximum throughput and granting instant access to multiple desktop devices with one cable. It maintains the portability of your laptop by eliminating the constant need to plug and unplug numerous desktop peripherals.

Designed to be an easy and powerful way to increase productivity and take advantage of Thunderbolt technology, Belkin's Thunderbolt Express Dock allows creative professionals the ability to edit films in full HD 1080p, and transfer volumes of data in seconds at bidirectional 10Gbps channels. That is up to 20 times faster than with USB 2.0 and up to 12 times faster than with FireWire 800.

Thunderbolt dock failing to install, "Installation of this device is forbidden by system... 223a_thm.jpg

The Thunderbolt Express Dock uses a single high-speed connection to create ultrafast data transfers between your laptop and up to eight other devices, including FireWire, Ethernet, and USB, and enables users to daisy-chain up to five additional Thunderbolt devices. The Dock provides a much-needed solution that creates a cleaner, faster, more productive workspace and reliable connectivity to desktop devices and the Internet.

Belkin's Thunderbolt Express Dock is available now at belkin.com and will be available at select retailers nationwide at the end of the month.

Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock (F4U055ww) - $299.99
    • Instant access to up to 8 desktop devices with one cable
    • Cable-clutter-free design for a cleaner workstation
    • 2 Thunderbolt ports (1 upstream, 1 downstream for daisy-chaining up to 5 additional Thunderbolt devices)
    • 3 USB 3.0 ports
    • 1 FireWire 800 port
    • 1 Gigabit Ethernet port
    • 1 3.5mm audio-out port
    • 1 3.5mm audio-in port

btarunr, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

Thunderbolt dock failing to install, "Installation of this device is forbidden by system...

1. Thunderbolt dock failing to install, "Installation of this device is forbidden by system... - Similar Threads - Thunderbolt dock failing

2. Setup blocked by group policy the installation of this device is forbidden by system policy

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Setup blocked by group policy the installation of this device is forbidden by system policy: Hello! I bought a usb headphones but when I plugged it, it says "the installation of this device is forbidden by system policy" and i looked at the settings it says that the setup is blocked by group policy. How can I fix this? and also i remember when i tried to use a usb...
  3. failed to install thunderbolt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    failed to install thunderbolt: I am no techy. my webcam is not working on dell xps. one of the solutions suggested it to update Bios and chipsets. One of the chipset is about "Internet thunderbolt controller driver" released on 5th Nov 2021. It failed to instal, and rturned following error message. Please...
  4. failed to install thunderbolt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    failed to install thunderbolt: I am no techy. my webcam is not working on dell xps. one of the solutions suggested it to update Bios and chipsets. One of the chipset is about "Internet thunderbolt controller driver" released on 5th Nov 2021. It failed to instal, and rturned following error message. Please...
  5. failed to install thunderbolt

6. 0x80070659 this installation is forbidden by system policy

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    0x80070659 this installation is forbidden by system policy: I tried to install ABB RTUtil500 software in my new laptop but failed[2D4C:5378][2021-08-03T22:36:56]i001: Burn v3.11.0.1701, Windows v10.0 Build 19043: Service Pack 0, path:...
  7. The installation of this device is forbidden by system policy

in Windows 10 News
    The installation of this device is forbidden by system policy: This post lists possible solutions for the error The installation of this device is forbidden by system policy, Contact your system administrator that you may see. When this error occurs, the installation process quits by displaying this message on the screen. It stops the...
  8. The installation of this device has been forbidden by system policy

The installation of this device has been forbidden by system policy: Hello everyone! I wanted to ask for help since whenever I plug in a USB Stick I get the notification "The installation of this device has been forbidden by system policy," but I still get the notification that the device has been installed and is ready for usage. However, it...
  9. Installation forbidden by system policy

Installation forbidden by system policy: The device in question is a SanDisk 16gb usb drive. It works ok on this Win 7 computer, and it works ok on another Win 10 computer, but on one Win 10 machine I get this message, "The installation of this device is forbidden by system policy." What's the fix? 109914
  10. Dell Thunderbolt Dock

Dell Thunderbolt Dock: I recently purchased a Dell Thunderbolt dock for my Precision 3520. I hooked up my Logitech universal receiver to the Thunderbolt dock. The mouse and keyboard have significant lags (the keyboard repeats itself periodically). As soon as I move the receiver back to the laptop,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pci bridge device installation not allowed system policy

2. pci express upstream switch port forbidden

3. what is device is 0c0a