Windows 10: Thunderbolt + eGPU: Code 31 on subsequent attachment

Discus and support Thunderbolt + eGPU: Code 31 on subsequent attachment in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an Nvidia RTX 2070 in a Razer Core V2 over Thunderbolt 3 to my Dell XPS 13. All drivers and OS up to date. When I plug in my laptop to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ansel Santosa, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Thunderbolt + eGPU: Code 31 on subsequent attachment

I have an Nvidia RTX 2070 in a Razer Core V2 over Thunderbolt 3 to my Dell XPS 13. All drivers and OS up to date.

When I plug in my laptop to the eGPU, it fails to connect. The graphics card shows up in the Device Manager with a yellow exclamation point: "(Code 31) Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API.".

Disabling and re-enabling the device doesn't work. Power cycling the eGPU does not work. Unplugging and re-plugging does not work. The only thing that fixes it is rebooting the computer. But that only fixes it once. The next time I'll have to reboot again. I'm tired of losing my work and I can't find anything online about this error that works for me.

Any additional debugging ideas?

:)

Ansel Santosa, Jan 28, 2019

2. How to check for eGPU support on Windows 10 over Thunderbolt 2 (Bootcamp)?

How can I check for, or learn how to check for, eGPU support on a Windows 10 installation, running as Bootcamp on a Mac Pro 2013 ?

The eGPU enclosure I have is a Sonnet 550 and it has a Thunderbolt 3 port, whereas the Mac Pro 2013 has Thunderbolt 2. (The physical connection would be of course accomplished by means of a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter).

Probably, the main question would be if the eGPU support on Windows would work over the Thunderbolt 2 connection.

eGPU Breakaway box tech specs: eGFX Breakaway Box 550 (eGPU Expansion System)

christopherbalz, Jan 28, 2019
  3. cdawall Win User
    [GTX 760] - eGPU over Thunderbolt 2 - Issues

With the shear number of companies backing the idea and AMD stepping in to make a standard I would say you are wrong.

cdawall, Jan 28, 2019
  4. Yukikaze Win User

Thunderbolt + eGPU: Code 31 on subsequent attachment

[GTX 760] - eGPU over Thunderbolt 2 - Issues

I have a ZBook 15 G2 with a GTX750Ti running over TB2 in an Akitio Thunder2. While I use my eGPU only for an external monitor, I am familiar with the Code 12 issue. This arises from the inability to find sufficient PCIe address space to allocate to the eGPU. In the case of my GTX750Ti the solution is very simple. I suggest you give this a shot, but YMMV:
    1) Disable the GTX750Ti in the Device Manager (right-click and choose disable).
    2) Enable the GTX750Ti in the Device Manager (right-click and choose enable).
    3) Windows will prompt that it needs to reboot to enable the device. Accept and reboot the machine. When you reboot the eGPU will work properly.

When you enable the eGPU, windows understands that it lacks the address space needed to accommodate it and will arrange it on the next boot. At least, that works for me (it even works with the HD4600, the K2100M and the eGPU enabled all at once, see attached screenshot). As an added bonus, on further reboots (or power down/up cycles) this issue will not occur, as long as you do not power on the machine without the eGPU attached (I guess windows remembers the PCIe devices it had on the last power down). Once you've used it once without the eGPU, however, you will end up with the same Code 12 issue, and will have have to the disable/enable/reboot dance once more.

In case this does not help, there is a utility called "Setup 1.3" made by nando4 on the TechInferno forums. It costs 25$ (via PayPal) and allows you to arrange things in the PCIe address space so that the Code 12 issue does not occur. It is a bootloader that would make this configuration before your OS would boot. I was not annoyed enough by having to reboot once to get the eGPU to work, so I did not fork over the money.

An additional solution I've seen on the TechInferno forums is to stop the laptop's boot at the boot device selection screen (you need to hit ESC as the "HP" logo appears), then hotplug the Thunder2 to your ZBook's Thunderbolt port, wait a few seconds, then select your OS drive as the boot option. This way the OS will be immediately aware of the extra device in the PCIe address space, and so it will allocate resources accordingly.

Edit: I just tried the power-on, stop at boot option screen, hotplug and proceed to windows method. It worked. eGPU was immediately available in windows with a loaded driver.

I hope this helps!

Yukikaze, Jan 28, 2019
Thema:

Thunderbolt + eGPU: Code 31 on subsequent attachment

1. Thunderbolt + eGPU: Code 31 on subsequent attachment - Similar Threads - Thunderbolt eGPU Code

2. Rx580 code 31

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rx580 code 31: Ive been having this issue with my amd drivers for over a month now. The code 31 notes: “the I/O device is not configured correctly or the configuration parameters to the driver are incorrect” Now ive gotten this same code everytime. Ive attempted to use amd cleanup utility...
  3. Rx580 code 31

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rx580 code 31: Ive been having this issue with my amd drivers for over a month now. The code 31 notes: “the I/O device is not configured correctly or the configuration parameters to the driver are incorrect” Now ive gotten this same code everytime. Ive attempted to use amd cleanup utility...
  4. 12gen intel Thunderbolt 4 implementation in Win11 / eGPU stuttering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    12gen intel Thunderbolt 4 implementation in Win11 / eGPU stuttering: Hello. I have a XPS 15 9520 / i7 12700H / 32GB RAM / 2x 1TB drive / RTX 3050 Ti / OLEDI bought a eGPU encloure Razer core X + nVidia RTX3070When i play games like Cyberpunk 2077, they terribly lags and stutters. I have all drivers updated and disabled the dedicated 3050 Ti....
  5. 12gen intel Thunderbolt 4 implementation in Win11 / eGPU stuttering

12gen intel Thunderbolt 4 implementation in Win11 / eGPU stuttering: Hello. I have a XPS 15 9520 / i7 12700H / 32GB RAM / 2x 1TB drive / RTX 3050 Ti / OLEDI bought a eGPU encloure Razer core X + nVidia RTX3070When i play games like Cyberpunk 2077, they terribly lags and stutters. I have all drivers updated and disabled the dedicated 3050 Ti....
  6. Code 31

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Code 31: My gpu in device manager has a triangle and it is saying code 31 object name not found. I have tried uninstall and install both device and the newest drivers from Nvidia site still can't fix it. ***Moved from Gaming and Xbox /Hardware and network/Other***...
  7. code 31

in Windows 10 Gaming
    code 31: Game is very laggy and when I check on device manager under graphics I saw graphics device driver error code 31. Need help to fix this one.Thanks, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/code-31/93f92415-34d1-47de-80f6-3e93daae59b1
  8. code 31

code 31: Game is very laggy and when I check on device manager under graphics I saw graphics device driver error code 31. Need help to fix this one.Thanks, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/code-31/93f92415-34d1-47de-80f6-3e93daae59b1
  9. code 31

10. code 31 error

code 31 error: Hi, I am on windows 10. After a sudden shut down, when I restarted computer I had lost permission for everything. I worked out how to get permission back for Microsoft word and pictures. The problem is I cannot connect a device such as my camera, ipad and touchpad. It comes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bootcamp egpu error 31

2. bootcamp nvidia egpu code 31

3. egpu code 31

4. egpu windows bootcamp code 31,
  5. code 31 blackmagic egpu windows bootcamp,
  6. switch port code 31 egpu,
  7. code 31 bootcamp,
  8. windows bootcamp egpu code 31,
  9. code.31.egpu boocamp,
  10. nvidia egpu crash,
  11. windows 10 egpu code 31,