Windows 10: Thunderbolt ports stopped functioning

Discus and support Thunderbolt ports stopped functioning in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, First post in this forum, thank you for having me. I am not very computer savvy so bear with me. :) I'm running Windows 10 v 1809, build... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tpann, Nov 17, 2019.

1. tpann Win User

Thunderbolt ports stopped functioning

Hello,

First post in this forum, thank you for having me. I am not very computer savvy so bear with me. Thunderbolt ports stopped functioning :)

I'm running Windows 10 v 1809, build 17763.864.
    I record audio into my laptop, into Pro Tools, through a Universal Audio Apollo Twin MkII. The Apollo uses Thunderbolt; my laptop has two Thunderbolt 3 ports, one powered the other not.

I don't know exactly when the thunderbolt ports stopped working, but it was in the last month. I recorded successfully using the Apollo in mid-October, and did not try again until yesterday, when I discovered the problem. The UA interface on my PC shows the unit as "offline."

I eliminated the cords as the problem by purchasing another. Same response. I uninstalled the Thunderbolt driver in Programs and Settings, then downloaded and reinstalled what I understand is the latest. I found that here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28658/Thunderbolt-3-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NUC-Products

I assume that I should see an item in Device Manager with the word "Thunderbolt" in it but there is none:

Thunderbolt ports stopped functioning [​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated to get these ports back up and running. Of course I'm happy to provide more information. I can include PC information from Belarc or Sandra, or whatever works best.

Thank you,
    Tim

:)

tpann, Nov 17, 2019

2. thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter

Hi John,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that inconvenience you are facing when the things may not work as expected.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?

When the Thunderbolt 3 is used with certain eighth generation Intel processor-based Windows 10 systems, there is a possibility that the two USB 3.0 ports on the back of the dock (closest to the Ethernet port)
    may not be recognized properly by the operating system.

However, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and let us know if that helps.

1. Disconnect the pluggable Thunderbolt 3 dock from the system and remove its power cable to turn off completely.
    2. Uninstall the Intel ‘Thunderbolt Software’ present on your system via the Control Panel ->
      Programs and Features and restart the device once.
    3. Download and install the latest version of the Intel Thunderbolt Software published by your system manufacturer. If you are unable to obtain this download from your system manufacturer, you can download a version directly from Intel
      here -> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i7HNK-NUC8i7HVK
    4. Restart the system once again.
    5. Reconnect the power cable to the pluggable Thunderbolt 3 dock, and then reconnect the Thunderbolt 3 cable from the dock to your system.
    6. You should be prompted to authenticate/approve the dock. Follow the onscreen prompts for the completion of the process and check the status of the issue.

If the issue still persists I suggest you to get in touch with the
    Thunderbolt support for the further assistance.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Nov 17, 2019
  3. smounce Win User
    USB 2.0 Ports Stopped working

Hello,

I recently noticed my USB 2.0 ports have stopped working, but my USB 3.0 port is functioning perfectly.

Steps i have tried:

- Restarting

- Searching for device changes in Device manager

- running troubleshooter

all these suggested fixes didn't remedy the issue, its a bit of an inconvenience that i only have one functioning USB port

Thanks

smounce, Nov 17, 2019
  4. Thunderbolt ports stopped functioning

Thunderbolt display & Alienware 17 r5

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand how difficult it is, when the device doesn't work in the way it should and in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Are you connecting the Thunderbolt display for the first time to the Alien ware PC?
    • Are you aware of any changes on the PC, prior to this issue?

In this scenario we would suggest you to refer the below article and check if that helps to fix the issue.

Frequently
    Asked Questions (FAQs) about the Thunderbolt port on a Dell PC

Troubleshooting Ports on your Notebook
    or Desktop Dell PC

If the issue persists, then we would suggest you to get in touch with the

Dell Support
    team.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Nov 17, 2019
Thema:

Thunderbolt ports stopped functioning

1. Thunderbolt ports stopped functioning - Similar Threads - Thunderbolt ports stopped

2. Thunderbolt port is completely dead.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thunderbolt port is completely dead.: I noticed today that my Thunderbolt port was completely dead, no data or power. It worked before, no problem. It was showing up in Device Manager as having error code 28, no driver found. I tried everything, uninstalling and restarting, chipset drivers, I did a fresh install...
  3. Thunderbolt port is completely dead.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thunderbolt port is completely dead.: I noticed today that my Thunderbolt port was completely dead, no data or power. It worked before, no problem. It was showing up in Device Manager as having error code 28, no driver found. I tried everything, uninstalling and restarting, chipset drivers, I did a fresh install...
  4. Thunderbolt port- can it be used to charge the device?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Thunderbolt port- can it be used to charge the device?: Hey there,My brother just got a new Dell Vostro as a gift, and the specs are pretty impressive.The device comes with a Thunderbolt port but I don't know the type.Yesterday after finishing the setup and leaving it in hibernation, the battery died. The adapter works and the...
  5. thunderbolt 3 port not working windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    thunderbolt 3 port not working windows 11: i have a rog headphone with a usb c connector and it worked fine with my laptop for almost a year but it stopped working today. when i connect the headphone to my laptop, it does nothing. it doesnt even show up on my sound setting.i tried the headphone with my other laptop...
  6. thunderbolt 3 port not working windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    thunderbolt 3 port not working windows 11: i have a rog headphone with a usb c connector and it worked fine with my laptop for almost a year but it stopped working today. when i connect the headphone to my laptop, it does nothing. it doesnt even show up on my sound setting.i tried the headphone with my other laptop...
  7. Unable to detect Thunderbolt display through Thunderbolt 4 port on Windows

Unable to detect Thunderbolt display through Thunderbolt 4 port on Windows: Hi I have a w10 laptop that has a Thunderbolt 4 port. Technically speaking, thunderbolt ports are supposed to be backward compatible. However, when I am trying to plus in my old Thunderbolt Display that was a T2 and with a T3 adapter, the Thunderbolt Control Centre detects...
  8. Thunderbolt port on HP Omen not operational

Thunderbolt port on HP Omen not operational: The Thunderbolt port on my HP Omen is not visible in the Device Manager and is non-responsive when Thunderbolt devices are plugged into the port. I've ran HP's Hardware Diagnostics and it doesn't see the device in Windows. I exited Windows and ran the UEFI version of the HP...
  9. USB ports stopped functioning

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    USB ports stopped functioning: My PC has been working properly for the past year. Two days ago, all but three of my USB ports stopped working. I received the Windows 10 notification, "Power Surge on the USB Port." Now, all USB ports are listed in Device Manager but only three work. Windows does not...
  10. Thunderbolt ports stopped functioning

Thunderbolt ports stopped functioning: Hello, First post in this forum, thank you for having me. I am not very computer savvy so bear with me. :) I'm running Windows 10 v 1809, build 17763.864. I record audio into my laptop, into Pro Tools, through a Universal Audio Apollo Twin MkII. The Apollo uses Thunderbolt;...