Windows 10: TileDataLayer causes Start Menu failed to launch after applying Windows 10 1909 upgrade

Discus and support TileDataLayer causes Start Menu failed to launch after applying Windows 10 1909 upgrade in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, ALL I am sharing some finds on this start menu issue. It looks like the tiles on start menu cause the problem. I have similar issue on our shared... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Peter Chen in BC, May 6, 2020.

1. TileDataLayer causes Start Menu failed to launch after applying Windows 10 1909 upgrade

Hi, ALL

I am sharing some finds on this start menu issue. It looks like the tiles on start menu cause the problem.

I have similar issue on our shared laptops after applying Windows 10 1903/1909 upgrade. Search is working, just start menu doesn't launch anymore. It happens on new users. It seems like something wrong when user profile was creating. The situation on 1903 seems easier to fix, comparing with 1909. I can just run 1903 in-place upgrade again to fix the issue. But on 1909, this rule doesn't apply. When I try to do same thing on 1909, it just comes up all sort of different errors and fails in the middle.

I check event log under windows\application and found access denied problem on startmenuexperiencehost.exe. It tells me when it is trying to access files in %userprofile%\appdata\local\tiledatalayer\database and also C:\, the access got denied. And then the startmenuexperiencehost.exe is not responding, which I can see in task manager\details.

When windows try to create a new user profile, it actually uses default profile c:\users\default as template. The files in tiledatalayer\database need to be modified accordingly but it didn't. We can open a file - ebd.chk - by notepad and see the folder path is still pointing to administrator profile. Also these files are not fully readable so I think maybe I can try rename/delete database folder and see if windows can rebuild it and fix the issue. But right after I rename database folder, the start menu is working straightaway.

Therefore I think I can just rename the database folder in default profile, so when new user profile is created, start menu wont be an issue. This is just a work around not the final solution but it is easier than applying fix on something in a user profile. Also files in tiledatalayer\database are not vital to windows 10 because this fix does not seem to cause big issue so far.

:)

Peter Chen in BC, May 6, 2020

2. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, May 6, 2020
  3. scevism Win User
    scevism, May 6, 2020
  4. TileDataLayer causes Start Menu failed to launch after applying Windows 10 1909 upgrade

Following 1709 update start menu and edge fail to open; tiledatalayer

The fall creators update has been a disaster; two of my machines are now unstable. Typically after being in use for a while the start menu, edge, chrome, or windows explorer will fail to respond.

The troubleshooters dont work, and the event log shows a tile fault.

I'm following instructions such as here

What to do when the Start Menu stops working in Windows 10

and created two now admin accounts (loc1 & loc2) - but even after logging on to them and changing tiles

the user/loc1/ .. /local directory does not have a tiledatalayer folder.

Various searches can only find a tiledatalayer folder in my original user account, no matter which account I log in to.

Is the tile management done differently in 1709?

john-errington, May 6, 2020
Thema:

TileDataLayer causes Start Menu failed to launch after applying Windows 10 1909 upgrade

1. TileDataLayer causes Start Menu failed to launch after applying Windows 10 1909 upgrade - Similar Threads - TileDataLayer causes Start

2. Start menu will not launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu will not launch: Hi,I need help. My start menu will not launch. I click on it and a wheel spins for a second then nothing, it fails to launch. I have also noticed that I can't open up a photo either. When I go to photos and double click on one to launch it it does not open. I need to launch...
  3. Start menu will not launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu will not launch: Hi,I need help. My start menu will not launch. I click on it and a wheel spins for a second then nothing, it fails to launch. I have also noticed that I can't open up a photo either. When I go to photos and double click on one to launch it it does not open. I need to launch...
  4. Start menu will not launch

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. failed to upgrade windows 10 1909 to 21H1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    failed to upgrade windows 10 1909 to 21H1: Tried to upgrade 1909 to 21H1 using a usb disk created with MediaCreationTool21H1, after 13 hours waiting , it is still stuck at 31%, the installation log is at the following address intelnexus.cn:88/WindowsUpdate.txt . Thanks a lot for helping....
  6. Corrupt Start Menu entries after Windows 10 Upgrade to Version 1909

Corrupt Start Menu entries after Windows 10 Upgrade to Version 1909: Hi, I recently encountered an issue after Windows 10 Upgrade to version 1909. Start Menu entries for Modern Apps like Maps or Fotos did not show up with their normal name, but only with a cryptic string. Also the Icons of these Apps were gone: [ATTACH] I quickly found...
  7. Windows 10 build 1909 start menu not working after restart

Windows 10 build 1909 start menu not working after restart: Hi, Pulling hair out here. 64 bit windows, fresh install keeping files reset option, start menu working when turns on after install. Hurrah, download and install chrome, turn off. When turned on again, start menu etc not working. Have tried everything. Scan,...
  8. upgrade to Windows 10 1903 or 1909 failed

upgrade to Windows 10 1903 or 1909 failed: Hello, I've tried upgrade from Windows 10 version 1803 to 1903 or 1909 using different methods automatic update or "using Windows 10 update assistant" or using your "Media Creation Tool". They all seem to fail with "Error 0x80070714". For example, you may find my...
  9. windows 10 1909 on desktop is causing ncsi fail.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 1909 on desktop is causing ncsi fail.: I just bought win 10 and did a clean install on my main desktop. It is causing a DNS problem on the router tp - link vr400 and then my other devices can no longer access the internet. If I reboot the router, and do not not connect the desktop, everything is fine. I've tried...
  10. My program cannot launch after upgrade to Windows 10 1909

My program cannot launch after upgrade to Windows 10 1909: My program works well on any windows before Windows 10 1909. after I upgrade to 1909, on a Windows 10 Pro Acer PC, my program works well. But on two Acer Window 10 Home edition , my program cannot launch. Can anybody give some advice? thanks...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. tiledatalayer folder missing windows 10

2. windows 10 tile data layer