Windows 10: Tiles and Icons Not Staying Pinned

Discus and support Tiles and Icons Not Staying Pinned in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Totally bizarre problem and wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing? We've got a reasonably small network with approx 30... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by nicho005, Feb 19, 2020.

1. nicho005 Win User

Tiles and Icons Not Staying Pinned

Totally bizarre problem and wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing?

We've got a reasonably small network with approx 30 workstations and 3 Servers. Users can pin icons to their start menu and tiles, no problem. They can also pin icons to the taskbar, no problem. However, when a laptop disconnects from the domain and logs in without network access, all the start layout and pinned icons are lost. When reconnected to the domain and logged in, the icons reappear...its almost as though the profile isn't syncing properly, however I can't see any errors in the log so am slightly lost as to what's going on.

I've tried creating custom start menus but unable to get this to work either, unfortunately.

The builds of Windows 10 vary, but users all have their own workstations and don't move around.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it as this problem is driving our users up the wall!!

Thanks

:)

nicho005, Feb 19, 2020

2. Icons will not stay pinned to Taskbar

We suggest doing a clean install instead, since other steps provided did not work. Click
    here to know how to perform a clean install.

We'll wait for the result.

Radney Dri, Feb 19, 2020
  3. ERI
    Eri Win User
    Windows 10 Start menu tiles (icons) don't move / Pin to start is missing

I am on an Alienware 17R4, running Win 10 Pro x64, Ver - 1803, Build 17134.799, and I have the following issues with the "Windows 10 Start Menu Tiles" (Icons).

1. Rearrangement of Tiles / Icons are not possible anymore through "Drag and Drop".
    2. Right Click (RC) Option to Resize any Tiles is missing, and the only RC option there is the "More" option.
    3. "Pin to Start Menu" Option is mission on the Right Click Option of other shortcut icons in the start menu's Default Shortcut List. So can't make tiles of installed app's start menu shortcut.
    4. "Pin to Start Menu" Option is there on applications (programs/exe's) in Windows Explorer. So can make new tiles in the start menu like this, but the new tiles are created in Med size, and lacks the above mentioned right click options to resize, apart from the option "More", so the tiles can't be resized, moved / rearranged.

These are the steps I have taken so far to fix the issue.

1. Checked Group Policies -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar

a) Prevent changes to Taskbar and Start Menu Settings = Not Configured

b) Start Layout = Not Configured
    2. Windows Registry = Made sure all start menu related entries are correctly aligned to where it's supposed to be.
    3. Created a new user account = still the icons won't move and have the above mentioned issue.
    4. Ran SFC = It can't find any issue with my system's integrity.

OS and all system drivers, including both the display drivers (Intel and nVidia, for both the GPU's) are up to date with Dell's latest driver releases.

Kindly help resolve this issue.
    Thanks in advance.

4. Tiles and Icons Not Staying Pinned

How do I modify a tile's icon on Start menu?

Hi,

Let's try and see if we can change the icon on the Windows 10 tiles when pinning. Follow these steps:

• Go to "C:\Programfiles (x86) \Google\Chrome\Application"
    • Look for the file called "visualelementsmanifest.xml"
    • Delete it (make sure that you make a backup/copy of the file before deleting)
    • Unpin and re-pin the links to the start menu.

Let us know how it goes.

Radney Dri, Feb 19, 2020
Thema:

Tiles and Icons Not Staying Pinned

1. Tiles and Icons Not Staying Pinned - Similar Threads - Tiles Icons Staying

2. Tile not staying locked on multiple montors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tile not staying locked on multiple montors: Hi everyone,Running a 3 monitor setup with an LG nanocel8 48" in the middle and 2 dell 2219's on either side. Windows 10 pro, ryzen 5800x,32gb ram, gtx1070, 1tb nvme. All drivers are up to date including windows.So I have a strange issue that recently started. Whenever I have...
  3. Start menu/tile screen stays on

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu/tile screen stays on: Ever since the latest Edge update I did on 6/20/20 the start/tile screen stays on after you click on one of the tiles. It used to disappear after you clicked on a tile. If you move the cursor outside the start screen and click, than the start screen will disappear. It never...
  4. Tiles and Icons

Tiles and Icons: Why won't my Alienware laptop running an Intel I7-6500U CPU @ 2.50 Ghz, 8 GB ram, 500 GB Hard drive, 64 bit with touch screen. Windows 10 version 1903, with OS build 18362.836. Why won't it save to tiles anymore after last update? Either need ability to have desktop icons or...
  5. Icon doesn't stay pinned to the TaskBar

Icon doesn't stay pinned to the TaskBar: I saw threads from 2017 about this and they were closed. I have to say that today everything updated as of the creation of this thread that for instance, Messenger beta pinned to the Taskbar from the Start menu, will be pinned ok but after closing the app, the icon goes away...
  6. Icons will not stay pinned to Quick Access

Icons will not stay pinned to Quick Access: I am using Windows 10 10.0.18363 Build 18363 on a new computer that has a SSD where I have installed my programs - C and a HDD D where I store my data. I have pinned two folders Documents and a folder that is within Dropbox that syncs to my HDD to my Quick Access menu. They...
  7. Icon staying pinned to taskbar

Icon staying pinned to taskbar: I pin messenger icon to my taskbar - it stays for a couple of hours then disappears. How do I get it to stay? I have clicked pin to taskbar and it stays then goes. I want it to stay...
  8. No icon on tile

No icon on tile: When I pin the Crome exe to start menu all is well, but if I change the size to small it will lose the icon and tile is faded? Anyone have a fix for this? 32331
  9. Pin msconfig as tile

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin msconfig as tile: I tried to pin a desktop shortcut of msconfig system app as tile to the start metro screen but refuses to pin. It doesn't even exists 'Pin to Start screen' selection when i right click the shortcut. What should i do? I even copied the shortcut to the 'All Apps' folder and...
  10. Icons and Tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons and Tiles: I have wondered why tile has become the key word for what used to be icon? Is there really a difference other than size? Programs have become apps. I know tablets changed our reference words but when an app has more code than some programs isn't it really a program? I...