Windows 10: Time synchronization for remote domain-joined computers

Discus and support Time synchronization for remote domain-joined computers in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; We're oddly not finding good guidance for this situation elsewhere, nor even anyone asking questions about it, so I thought I'd ask here. We have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Nick Twentyfive, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Time synchronization for remote domain-joined computers

We're oddly not finding good guidance for this situation elsewhere, nor even anyone asking questions about it, so I thought I'd ask here.

We have company workstations joined to the local domain for the usual centralized control and policy administration purposes. Domain-joined computers sync time with a domain controller. Easy enough concept.

However, it's common for computers to be off-network nowadays. Often, for extended periods of time - weeks, perhaps months. We've specifically designed workflows such that people can work without establishing a connection to the office network.

Without the ability to communicate with a domain controller, domain-joined computers will not fall back to other sources andwill not synchronize time at all. We've been unable to identify any settings for something like, "prefer to sync with the domain, but then fall back to a trusted public NTP source."

For most people, it does not seem to be a problem, but there are one or two devices that seem to have slow clocks that noticeably drift over the scale of days or weeks. Regardless of these problem kids, has anyone found a reasonable means of ensuring time sync occurs for remote computers?

:)

Nick Twentyfive, Mar 26, 2020

2. Domain joined PC to Sync time in internet

Hi Guys,

Hope someone can help me with my issue. Our client are using laptops, joined in a domain and the staffs are travelling a lot in a different country. The problem they are facing is that the time cannot synchronized in the internet. Set automatic time zone
    is on. All staff are using domain account with no admin rights.

Is there any way for a domain joined machine to sync time in the internet. Internet time tab is missing in Date and Time window. I need to create a GPO that will allows the laptops to sync time in the internet. Even the said computers are domain member.

Will appreciate any help

Thanks,

Sam

SamuelBantilan, Mar 26, 2020
  3. Remote desktop azure joined computers

We are testing to move everyone from our old domain to azure ad join computers. But remote desktop don't work properly. It works sometimes from an azure AD join computer to another AAD. Dont work from from AAD to an domain joined.

Any sugestions?

[Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category]

Jan AndreAsmarvik, Mar 26, 2020
  4. Time synchronization for remote domain-joined computers

Can same PC have domain-joined and non-domain-joined accounts?

Andre, thank you for the information.

Actually, what I hoped for was the OPPOSITE of what you described.
    • This is my home PC. By default, and most of the time, I want to use my personal account, and I want the PC NOT to be joined to a domain.
    • A couple times a week, I connect to work to work remotely. Only then, when I use a different account, I would like the PC to connect to my work domain, temporarily.

I don't think this is possible, as I said earlier - the domain is a machine-level setting, as demonstrated in your post. I just wanted to ask.

(FYI I don't have a physical machine at work that I can connect to with Remote Desktop. I only have a small work laptop. I'd prefer to use my home PC when I work remotely so I can use my very large monitor. I can't connect my large monitor to the work
    laptop because the laptop doesn't support the screen resolution.)

Thanks again,

-Doug

douglasl4321, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

Time synchronization for remote domain-joined computers

1. Time synchronization for remote domain-joined computers - Similar Threads - synchronization remote domain

2. domain login freezing when joining domain for the first time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    domain login freezing when joining domain for the first time: Setting up a new Dell AIO pc as a workgroup pc was working correctly the minute I joined it to the domain currently a 2012R2 domain it wont logon to the domain user account and just sits there saying welcome and never actually logs in.Anyone got any ideas?...
  3. domain login freezing when joining domain for the first time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    domain login freezing when joining domain for the first time: Setting up a new Dell AIO pc as a workgroup pc was working correctly the minute I joined it to the domain currently a 2012R2 domain it wont logon to the domain user account and just sits there saying welcome and never actually logs in.Anyone got any ideas?...
  4. How to remotely locate a domain joined windows PC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to remotely locate a domain joined windows PC: Hi,Is there any way to remotely locate a domain joined Windows 10 PC? I know it is possible via Microsoft account if it is not domain joined. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/find-and-lock-a-lost-windows-device-890bf25e-b8ba-d3fe-8253-e98a12f26316 How can I...
  5. Have second "non-domain" account on domain joined computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Have second "non-domain" account on domain joined computer: Hi there, my company is providing me with a laptop for work which we can use for personal stuff. It comes preinstalled with Windows 10 and is domain joined. I have created a second "local" user for my personal use. The only thing now is, that that user still seems to be...
  6. Joining a Domain

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Joining a Domain: I'm trying to join a domain that resides on my Synology NAS. When trying to join the domain I'm getting the following message: [ATTACH] I've also tried joining the domain using the "Network ID" button and I get the following message: [ATTACH] I'm running Windows 10...
  7. Time on domain joined laptops isn't updating

in Windows 10 Customization
    Time on domain joined laptops isn't updating: Hello, In the last 6 months it has become apparent that our laptops are not updating whenever GMT/BST changes +/- 1 hour. Once laptops are back on the LAN in the office, they update fine. I'm assuming there is a GPO/setting i can set/change that will make them pull the...
  8. Remote desktop to an Azure joined PC on corporate domain

Remote desktop to an Azure joined PC on corporate domain: Hello, I wondered if someone can help. I am trying to set up a remote worker, who will need to use a home PC to RDP into their work PC which is on a corporate LAN. I have everything set up and I can establish an RDP connection BUT I am unable to log in using "*** Email...
  9. wrong time on domain joined computer

wrong time on domain joined computer: Hi, We have this one computer in our office where the clock is an hour slow. It is displaying the correct time zone in the date & time settings however the option to change the time is not available. [ATTACH] I get the same screen on the rest of our computers and...
  10. Windows Updates on Remote user (non-Domain-joined) Laptops

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Updates on Remote user (non-Domain-joined) Laptops: We have a fleet of about 65 remote users with HP 840 G3 laptops, all with Windows 10 installed, Version 1607. The users are getting prompts to update the OS Version, which requires admin approval to begin. I have been able to remote in and start the update, and it will run in...