Windows 10: Timeline opens OneDrive files in web browser, not Office app

Discus and support Timeline opens OneDrive files in web browser, not Office app in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ever since 1809, the Windows Timeline feature opens all Office documents that I work on in the web browser, instead of the application locally. Word,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Roy C.Padrick, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Timeline opens OneDrive files in web browser, not Office app

Ever since 1809, the Windows Timeline feature opens all Office documents that I work on in the web browser, instead of the application locally. Word, Excel, PowerPoint docs all try to open in web. Can the path be changed?

:)

Roy C.Padrick, Mar 8, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Windows 10 Office 365 cannot open files from: recent file list

Can you open those documents from File Explorer? I mean if you double click an Office document in Explorer, does it open normally in Word / Excel / PowerPoint?

If you save your Office documents on OneDrive, can you open them on desktop Office apps when Edit in Word / Excel / PowerPoint is selected in browser:

Timeline opens OneDrive files in web browser, not Office app [​IMG]

... and allowing OneDrive to open desktop Word / Excel / PowerPoint:

Timeline opens OneDrive files in web browser, not Office app [​IMG]

Kari, Mar 8, 2019
  3. Search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser

Hi Elias,

To resolve your concern regarding opening local files on OneDrive, follow the steps below:

• Go to
      OneDrive.com.
    • Right click on the file that you want to view.
    • Click on Download.
    • The file will be downloaded, and would normally show up on the bottom part of your browser.
    • Click the file, and it would open up using its normal default application.

Let us know how it goes.

Ruizell Rey, Mar 8, 2019
  4. Timeline opens OneDrive files in web browser, not Office app

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Mar 8, 2019
Thema:

Timeline opens OneDrive files in web browser, not Office app

1. Timeline opens OneDrive files in web browser, not Office app - Similar Threads - Timeline opens OneDrive

2. Open file location opens OneDrive in a browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open file location opens OneDrive in a browser: Recently, I've noticed that when I right-click on a file and select "Open file location" in File Explorer, Windows does not open it in File Explorer as it used to, but it launches my default browser and opens this folder in the OneDrive Web App. I have no idea how to set it...
  3. Open file location opens OneDrive in a browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open file location opens OneDrive in a browser: Recently, I've noticed that when I right-click on a file and select "Open file location" in File Explorer, Windows does not open it in File Explorer as it used to, but it launches my default browser and opens this folder in the OneDrive Web App. I have no idea how to set it...
  4. Open Office files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Open Office files from OneDrive: Hi, I have a user that when they click on a shortcut to a office document or click on a file to a office document that are stored on OneDrive the splash scree shows but then the splash scree goes away and the document doesn't open. I copy one of the files to the temp...
  5. No web browsers opening

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No web browsers opening: For the past few weeks barely any of my web browsers have been opening. When I try to open chrome, Firefox or opera, a blank windows appears for half a second and the app never opens. The only browsers that seem to be working are Vivaldi and edge. submitted by...
  6. Office files not opening in onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Office files not opening in onedrive: Hi, my new surface 3 laptop was delievered today. I am connected to the onedrive and can open documents online, but cannot open any MS docs from the windows explorer. I have tried disconnecting/reconnecting with onedrive and restarting, but that doesn't work. Can you please...
  7. Office apps crash when opening a file from onedrive

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office apps crash when opening a file from onedrive: Ive had this problem for a while now and the cause is a damaged user profile, so I'm looking for help with how to 'repair' the damage. This is not related to a specific build of Windows or an update, but just FYI I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64bit with build 202H The Problem: If...
  8. Timeline office 2013 apps

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Timeline office 2013 apps: Hello All, trying to figure out if there's something wrong to fix or it is just the way it works. basically in my private PC i usually login with a local account, Timeline just shows chrome page visited. I can't see any office doc, xls or ppt i have opened, that would be much...
  9. Timeline downloads a copy of Office files from OneDrive instead of opening the files in the...

Timeline downloads a copy of Office files from OneDrive instead of opening the files in the...: When opening an Ofiice file stored in OneDrive by clicking on it in Timeline, the file does not open in the corresponding web or desktop Office Application. Instead, my browser downloads a read-only copy of the file and presents its usual file download dialog: "Do you want...
  10. Onedrive not accessible with web browser

Onedrive not accessible with web browser: when I try to log in to onedrive I get the following message using Chrome This site can’t provide a secure connection onedrive.live.com uses an unsupported protocol. ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH and this message useing edge Cannot securely connect to this page...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. files using timeline opening in oneDrive

2. sharepoint file open in file browser instead of web browser

3. files opening in browser instead of excel onedrive

4. office 2019 only opens in onedrive,
  5. timeline opens word in web browser,
  6. onedrive files opening read-only windows 7 2019,
  7. shared onedrive folder opens in web page and not app,
  8. windows timeline open word not onedrive