Windows 10: Timing of PC usage

Discus and support Timing of PC usage in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Sometimes I get carried away with my PC activity, and forget to take breaks as often as I know would be good for me. I'm pretty sure there is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by robocop, Sep 6, 2019.

1. robocop Win User

Timing of PC usage

Hi

Sometimes I get carried away with my PC activity, and forget to take breaks as often as I know would be good for me. I'm pretty sure there is nothing built in to Win 10 that can do this?? but I would like to be able to set an alert using a script/app/utility which measures my keyboard/mouse activity, and after xx minutes of continued activity, give me a pop up or alert to remind me xx minutes has passed - i.e. time to look up from the screen/take a break etc.

I previously posted about recording PC usage time Timing/recording Windows 10 usage and was recommended ActivTrak, which has been great. One of it's features is that it can monitor a specific app (e.g. Outlook) and provide a pop up after xx minutes. ActivTrak is good at providing keyboard/mouse activity for a day but there is no option to provide an alert for continuous keyboard/mouse activity across entire Windows/multiple apps.

Please does anyone know of any tool that can do this?

Thank you

:)

robocop, Sep 6, 2019

2. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Sep 6, 2019
  3. How fix 4-times-higher CPU usage at idle?

Yes, I have noticed negative effects on my PC's performance:

-Browsing is slower when I open multiple tabs rapidly. I do this a lot (I research multiple links in online articles).

-My PC gets much hotter, and stays hot--so much hotter that I have to turn it off.

After the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, the 39% CPU usage screen shot of my Process Manager was when I was doing nothing--no browsing, word processing, etc. Before I took the screen shots, I closed all application programs. My machine was leveled out, as you better describe it (the screen shots were taken 5 minutes after my PC first leveled out). My PC is 39% CPU usage when leveled out; never lower.

Before the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, my PC was 10% CPU usage when it leveled out. And it stayed there.

1 other PC we have with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (same model as my PC) *HAS* the 39%-CPU-usage-at-idle problem.

2 other PCs we have with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (different brands) DO *NOT* HAVE the 39%-CPU-usage-at-idle problem. They have only 10% CPU usage at idle.

[NOTE I've no software to my PC after the Anniversary Update. My programs, etc. the are same as before.]

Any ideas on what to do to fix my high CPU usage?:
    -use Process Explorer? (how do I use it in this case?)
    -reinstall hardware drivers? (which ones?)
    -suspend certain services? (which ones?)

I've seen comments suggesting each of the above ideas. I need step-by-step instructions (ideally screen shots) for Process Explorer. For drivers & services, which do I try?

Any ideas on the above possible fixes OR better fixes for my high-CPU-at-idle problem? I'd really appreciate them

FuturePerfect, Sep 6, 2019
  4. RCoon Win User

Timing of PC usage

PC Build Steps

1.1 - Ideally put optical in SATA 0, and SSD in SATA 1, this will cause the optical drive to be the default 1st boot option. You can change it manually if not, but I like it this way
    2.infinity - yes, that's fine. if it's above 70 +/- 5 degrees, then it may just need a repaste/remount

RCoon, Sep 6, 2019
Thema:

Timing of PC usage

1. Timing of PC usage - Similar Threads - Timing usage

2. How can I programatically get the screen time usage from Family Safety?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How can I programatically get the screen time usage from Family Safety?: In order to tie in smart home, I would like to retrieve the following information from the Family Safety service using an API:* Total screen time allowed for today* Total screen time used todayHow can I achieve this using e.g. an HTTP API?...
  3. How can I programatically get the screen time usage from Family Safety?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I programatically get the screen time usage from Family Safety?: In order to tie in smart home, I would like to retrieve the following information from the Family Safety service using an API:* Total screen time allowed for today* Total screen time used todayHow can I achieve this using e.g. an HTTP API?...
  4. How can I programatically get the screen time usage from Family Safety?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. 100% CPU Usage all of the time, BSOD Kmode Exception Not Handled, Very Unstable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% CPU Usage all of the time, BSOD Kmode Exception Not Handled, Very Unstable: Hello, I recently acquired an Asus G73sw laptop and I am having some issues with it. It originally came with what appeared to be a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit. I got it all up and running, it seemed okay and took the updates and once it was done updating I shut it...
  6. 100% CPU Usage all of the time, BSOD Kmode Exception Not Handled, Very Unstable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% CPU Usage all of the time, BSOD Kmode Exception Not Handled, Very Unstable: Hello, I recently acquired an Asus G73sw laptop and I am having some issues with it. It originally came with what appeared to be a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit. I got it all up and running, it seemed okay and took the updates and once it was done updating I shut it...
  7. 100% CPU Usage all of the time, BSOD Kmode Exception Not Handled, Very Unstable

8. 100% CPU & Disk usage, with long restart & startup time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% CPU & Disk usage, with long restart & startup time: So hello, I am suffering from all those problems at the same time:1. At first, system interrupts uses 100% of the CPU, and sometimes, system and wsappx use 100% of the Disk. I do not know what the reason is, and I did not find a useful solution.-----2. & about the long...
  9. 100% CPU & Disk usage, with long restart & startup time

100% CPU & Disk usage, with long restart & startup time: So hello, I am suffering from all those problems at the same time:1. At first, system interrupts uses 100% of the CPU, and sometimes, system and wsappx use 100% of the Disk. I do not know what the reason is, and I did not find a useful solution.-----2. & about the long...
  10. 100% CPU & Disk usage, with long restart & startup time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging