Windows 10: Tinny Audio Forces Restart

Discus and support Tinny Audio Forces Restart in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, What is the issue: My audio becomes tinny spontaneously and sometimes will have a long constant beep along with it. I am forced to restart my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Huesman, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Huesman Win User

Tinny Audio Forces Restart

Hello,

What is the issue:

My audio becomes tinny spontaneously and sometimes will have a long constant beep along with it. I am forced to restart my computer to fix the problem. This has happened to me about 5 times in the last two months.

Why is this a problem:

Since I am forced to restart my computer, I have to save everything on my computer which often takes about 10 minutes. Since the issue happens spontaneously, I am forced to stop everything I am doing to fix the issue. If I am in a zoom meeting I am a student, I will lose approximately 20 minutes of class time because I cannot understand voice when my audio is tinny and I have to wait for my computer to boot back up and start zoom again. Also, if I needed to talk to someone at this time, I will not only be able to talk to them for 20 minutes, but they will have to wait for me for 20 minutes. You can see how this could be very frustrating if this happened during an important meeting or interview.

What is the desired outcome:

At the very least, I would like to be able to fix this problem without needing to restart my computer.

Some more details:

I use a headset with a microphone.

I do not know how to recreate this problem for anyone since it happens spontaneously. This has happened to me 5 times now and I cannot think of anything particular I was doing before each time. Sometimes it has happened when I go to play Spotify music, sometimes it has happened when I go to a Zoom meeting, but I believe that it 'happens' before I do an activity that requires audio but I do not notice it because I was not playing audio previously.

Operating System:

Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Build:

Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

System Make/Model:

Dell XPS 15 7590

Current Output Device name:

Speakers/Headphones RealtekR Audio

Driver Provider/Version for above device:

Realtek Semiconductor Corp 6.0.8940.1

Things I have tried:

1. Using other headsets, I have 5 headsets / bluetooth devices to connect to audio. None of these change the audio. Also, when I unplug my headset and play audio, the audio remains tinny. I have tried unplugging and plugging my headset back in.

2. Restarting drivers / Checking for new drivers. I have tried this for all of the audio devices listed in Device Manager

3. Troubleshooting all drivers and sound devices, even microphones. I have tried this every time I had this issue, it never detected problems. The time before the last time the problem happened, clicking the troubleshoot button on an audio device crashed my computer which also made me lose over 10 hours of homework progress, but that is beside the point

To reiterate this point, I have followed these steps:

• Press Windows Key + X..

• Click on Control Panel.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• On the left pane, click on View All.

• Click on Playing audio to run the troubleshooter.

As well as troubleshooting in 'Sound Settings'

All troubleshooting I attempted occurred while the problem was happening.

4. Disabling sound enhancements on all connected devices. Tried combinations of disabling/enabling sound enhancements as well.

5. Closing / Restarting current audio playing programs such as Spotify, Zoom, or Chrome.

Thank you

:)

Huesman, Feb 5, 2021
  2. Opie540 Win User

sound distorted after windows 10 anniversary upgrade

This is where I'm at on my HP laptop with Windows 10 and the Anniversary update.

I completed step #3 "hardware and sound" but that took me to an option for "sound, speakers." There was no "properties" as step #4 suggests. I selected "sound, speakers" and then found "properties." After selecting "properties" there was no "enhancements
    tab" as step #5 suggests.

Regardless, I then uninstalled the realtek audio driver. I noticed that when I did this without restarting my laptop that the sound was now tinny, but not distorted as it was previously. After restarting, the sound was again full, yet distorted.

Realtek still shows in my programs list, though it shows no memory is used.

Thanks for your continued help.

Opie540, Feb 5, 2021
  3. Windows Audio doesnt work, everytime a restart is required to bring back the audio

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for providing suggestions. I have tried all the listed troubleshooting before I raise an question over here.

None of the things helped....in few steps it makes Audio work(Only because of the Restart that is made) again if I shutdown my system and start back after couple of minutes/hours audio doesn't work.

Thank You!!

Sathish756, Feb 5, 2021
  4. Yaqub K Win User

Windows 10 - Audio sounds tinny when headphones are plugged in

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I suggest you to run built-in audio troubleshooter and check. Refer to the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X..

• Click on Control Panel.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• On the left pane, click on View All.

• Click on Playing audio to run the troubleshooter.
    You may also change the default playback device for audio and check if it helps. To do it, Right Click on the Volume icon and select Playback Devices. There you should be able to select Headphones and External Speakers.

You may also try updating the audio drivers and check. In case it still does not work, then I suggest you to download Windows 10 Audio drivers from the manufacturer's website and install them. If Windows 10 drivers are unavailable,
    I suggest that you download and install the Windows 7/8 drivers from the manufacturer's website using compatibility mode as mentioned in the following article and check:

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Get back to us for further assistance regarding this issue.

Yaqub K, Feb 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Tinny Audio Forces Restart - Similar Threads - Tinny Audio Forces

2. windows stopped recognizing audio inputs after forced restart.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows stopped recognizing audio inputs after forced restart.: for some reason my computer bugged and got 90% of my screen in a solid color, without being able to do anything I needed to restart the computer using the power button, when I turned on again, the front audio input had stopped working, only the headphone input, but the...
  3. USB Audio has tinny sound to it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Audio has tinny sound to it: Hi So I have an HP Omen laptop and as with alot of laptop the headphone audio jack stinks. Jiggle it even slightly and the audio cuts in and out. So last week my brother suggested looking at a pair of USB headphones and I have a hard tie finding right size fitting...
  4. Random hollow/tinny sound

Random hollow/tinny sound: Hello all... I would like advice on this matter... I jump ship from Windows 7 to 10 thereabouts 3 months ago. Everything is running smoothly and just the way I want it to.... Within the last 4/6 weeks, the sound on this computer will randomly sound hollow, whether I'm...
  5. netsh.exe and force restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    netsh.exe and force restart: Hi guys i need help. There's a sign said that my pc is going to get restart in 5 min and after restarting there's a cmd that pop up on my screen that said system32/netsh.exe. Guys is this a virus? or a bug? and i also tried virus scan malwarebytes,avast protection .And also...
  6. No bass and tinny sound

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No bass and tinny sound: Hi all, I have a HP Pavilion Power Laptop 15-cb0xx running windows 10. I have no Bass in youtube or and media player and the sound in general sounds horrible. This was not always the case. However, when I go into Fruity Loops (a digital audio workstation that uses another...
  7. Sudden forced Restart

Sudden forced Restart: My computer certainly restarts and shows this message if I use it for long period of time continuously watching movies on VLC Media Player. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sudden-forced-restart/c0c41815-3597-44cd-a110-251d981e6ed1
  8. Force restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Force restart: [IMG]Excuse me, i want to ask what happened here on my pc, because the percentage didn’t move at all and it has been 1 hour, like this, can you tell me what i can do to fix this?...
  9. Weird robotic / tinny sound

Weird robotic / tinny sound: So, I have following problem that I get weird tinny toned / robotic sound from chrome, discord & several other browsers i tried. Drivers up to date (also tried reinstalling them), so is windows (windows 10 latest build). Spotify & Edge are not affected by that, which means...
  10. Updates... Then forcefully restart

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates... Then forcefully restart: Forcing updates is one thing. Forcing a restart is another - and completely unacceptable. Until now I have been able to reschedule the restart. Today it just restarted while I was working. Bug? Intentionally? I will not give Microsoft long to change this behavior....