Windows 10: Tiny10 makes Windows 10 endurable on (very old) PCs

Discus and support Tiny10 makes Windows 10 endurable on (very old) PCs in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Tiny10 is one developer's attempt at making Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system usable on older PC systems and also more enjoyable on modern... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 15, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Tiny10 makes Windows 10 endurable on (very old) PCs

Tiny10 is one developer's attempt at making Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system usable on older PC systems and also more enjoyable on modern systems.

When Microsoft released Windows 10 in 2015, it made sure that the operating system had the same system requirements as previous versions of Windows. This changed with the release of Windows 11 in 2021.

Still, Windows 10 felt noticeably heavier than previous versions of Windows, and users started to look for ways to improve the operating system's usability. Faster hard drives, more RAM, a speedier more powerful CPU, were just a few of the solutions that users came up with on the hardware side. Others tried to remove bloat from the operating system, hoping to make it leaner and more efficient in the process.

Some used PowerShell commands for certain removals, others tools designed for that purpose, such as the aptly named Bloatware Removal Tool.

Tiny10's developer, NTDEV, had a single goal in mind in regards to the Windows 10 version: make "one of the smallest Windows 10 variations possible".

Tiny10: the last version

The latest version of Tiny10, and the last version of it, as the developer wants to focus on the equally small Tiny11 project, has just been released. It is available as a free download on the Internet Archive website. The ISO image, called tiny10 2303 x86.iso has a site of just 3.1 gigabytes, which is already noticeably smaller than the ISO size of Windows 10, which weights over 5 gigabytes.

Tiny10 makes Windows 10 endurable on (very old) PCs tiny10-space.jpg

Microsoft's official recommendation for Windows 10 is 2 gigabytes of RAM and 20 gigabytes of storage for the 64-bit version. Tiny10 does not require nearly as much. The developer shared a screenshot of the latest version of Tiny10 occupying just 5.17 gigabytes on the system's hard drive. Windows 10, in contrast, may very well occupy more than 20 gigabytes after installation.

The majority of computers have 2 gigabytes of RAM and enough storage space to store Windows 10. In fact, you'd have to go back to the Windows XP and Windows Vista period to find a good percentage of devices with less than 2 gigabytes of RAM. Still, even with modern PCs, running a leaner operating system has its advantages.

Tiny10 is based on Windows 10 LTSC, but little else is revealed about the differences to the regular Windows 10 LTSC version. The developer has removed apps, services and system components that they described as bloatware.

All core features are included, which means that Windows users may install and use their favorite apps and games, protect their device with Windows Defender, and use important system tools such as Terminal and management tools. In essence, Tiny10 includes all essential features and tools of Windows 10 only.

The operating system installs quickly, thanks to its reduced size, even on very old systems. While as much RAM as possible is still recommended, it is clear from the get-go that Tiny10 makes Windows 10 more enjoyable on systems with a low amount of RAM. Tiny10 requires a Windows product key, otherwise it is running in trial mode only.

Closing Words

Tiny10 is a modified version of Windows 10 that streamlined Microsoft's operating system by removing much of its bloat. It installs and runs fine, even on very old PCs.

If there is one downside, it is the lack of documentation. The developer has a Patreon page, but information is restricted to subscribers. Some information about Tiny10, and Tiny11 for that matter, should be available publicly, including the removed components and other changes made to the system.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Tiny10 makes Windows 10 endurable on (very old) PCs appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 15, 2023
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 15, 2023
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Tiny10 anyone?

My NAS is Linux based (TrueNAS Core, which runs on FreeBSD kernel). My Windows 10 and 11 machines have no issues networking with Linux. Also, I see nothing in your specs that would keep it from running Windows 10.

Tiny10 makes Windows 10 endurable on (very old) PCs 382011d1672158264t-tiny10-anyone-capture3.jpg

Tiny10 makes Windows 10 endurable on (very old) PCs 382012d1672158264t-tiny10-anyone-capture3a.jpg

NavyLCDR, Mar 15, 2023
  4. Tiny10 makes Windows 10 endurable on (very old) PCs

Tiny10 anyone?

Has anyone tried Tiny10?

I need to set up a basic network file server to hold 3d assets for other desktops to access. I have an ideal PC for that in a mini compact HP

I could just keep what I have because it was in that use before but would prefer to consider an update. But the PC would simply not accept Win10 full as it's specs are too limited. ( see below )

I was thinking Tiny10 because of it's lack of MS Bloat and features I simply have no use for in this application. The HDD is 1TB so space is not the issue so much as utilization of available hardware.

I am also open to any other suggestions to make file sharing easier. I know I could use Linux but while Linux has no problem reading NTFS, Window's is not very friendly toward the Linux file system and networking is problematic. [ Wish MS would fix their struggles with Linux ]

Operating System
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    AMD A8-7600
    Kaveri 28nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 804MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 225E (P0)
    Graphics
    HP L1506 (1024x768@1Hz)
    ATI Standard VGA Graphics Adapter (HP)
    Storage
    931GB Hitachi HGST HTS SATA Disk Device (SATA )

Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

paulckruger, Mar 15, 2023
Thema:

Tiny10 makes Windows 10 endurable on (very old) PCs

1. Tiny10 makes Windows 10 endurable on (very old) PCs - Similar Threads - Tiny10 makes endurable

2. Tiny10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Tiny10: Where can I find a safe download of Tiny 10, to install over windows 8.1? Thanks Mike's Media https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tiny10/2765f3ef-3ede-4f10-ad12-6a0e1f09304b
  3. What is endurable daba patience ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is endurable daba patience ?: I was scrolling through my files and found this weird exe. I searched it up but nothing popped up. Anything about it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-endurable-daba-patience/7a888841-8d26-49f0-9702-4450a9cd4fa5
  4. Does downgrading a very very very very slow windows 10 pc to windows 7 make it fast again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does downgrading a very very very very slow windows 10 pc to windows 7 make it fast again: Does downgrading a very very very very slow windows 10 pc to windows 7 make it fast again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-downgrading-a-very-very-very-very-slow/f1df98f4-b793-4ba4-806e-05ce39ba8700
  5. Does downgrading a very very very very slow windows 10 pc to windows 7 make it fast again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does downgrading a very very very very slow windows 10 pc to windows 7 make it fast again: Does downgrading a very very very very slow windows 10 pc to windows 7 make it fast again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-downgrading-a-very-very-very-very-slow/f1df98f4-b793-4ba4-806e-05ce39ba8700
  6. Does downgrading a very very very very slow windows 10 pc to windows 7 make it fast again

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. windows 10 compatibility for a VERY OLD desktop

windows 10 compatibility for a VERY OLD desktop: I know nothing about computers, so I ask that you have patience and be kind please. My mother just passed away at age 96. She has an ancient HP Pavilion All-in-One, in brand new condition and I would love to keep it simply because it is hers.My question is: Is this desktop...
  8. update a very old install of windows 10 no internet

update a very old install of windows 10 no internet: I'm in a remote area of Panama and a niece has a laptop which hasn't been updated since it was given to her, 3-4 years. Would it be better/more practical to simply reinstall? I have a recent download. The point to this is that there is a chance of getting good enough cell...
  9. Windows 10 and a very old disk with error 26214.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 and a very old disk with error 26214.: - System - Provider [ Name] Chkdsk - EventID 26214 [ Qualifiers] 0 Level 4 Task 0 Keywords 0x80000000000000 - TimeCreated [ SystemTime] 2018-07-24T21:41:47.478899800Z EventRecordID 4140 Channel Application Computer Bob-PC Security - EventData Checking file system on F:...
  10. Anything in Windows 10 like the very old Photoed.exe?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Anything in Windows 10 like the very old Photoed.exe?: My confession: I've been using Photoed ever since Windows 98, I think (my original exe file is dated 2000). I've copied the exe file to succeeding updates of Windows and placed it on my desktop, and I still use it with Windows 7. I do occasionally use GIMP, too, but Photoed...