Windows 10: Tip for AMD CPU & GPU desktop drivers running in Win10TP

Discus and support Tip for AMD CPU & GPU desktop drivers running in Win10TP in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I had a perplexing problem in my AMD HD 7850 2GB/AMD FX-6300 desktop running the Win10 TPx64. After each boot or log-on, the CPU & GPU would run as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by waltc, Oct 8, 2014.

1. waltc Win User

Tip for AMD CPU & GPU desktop drivers running in Win10TP

I had a perplexing problem in my AMD HD 7850 2GB/AMD FX-6300 desktop running the Win10 TPx64. After each boot or log-on, the CPU & GPU would run as they normally ran under Win8.1x64, the cpu under Cool'nQuiet & the GPU under AMD's Ultra Low Power setting. Under 8.1 the GPU would run at 300MHz core/150MHz ram while web-browsing and otherwise not running games or other software that demands full power ; my CPU is set in Windows Power Options to run @1400MHz until full power is needed. Full power for the GPU is 1GHz core/1200MHz ram, and for the cpu full power is ~4.5GHz.

The problem I had was that after some twenty minutes or so had lapsed under Win10TP, after either a boot or a log-on, both my GPU and CPU would mysteriously ramp up to full power, even when doing nothing more stressful than web browsing--or even doing *nothing* except booting up and running the desktop. The only way to reset the proper low-power-profile for my cpu & gpu was to reboot or log-off and then back on--and then 20 minutes later everything would ramp to full power again. Like clockwork.

I tried a great many things and consumed a few hours of web-searching and experimenting (including uninstalling all of the Win10TP preview updates) before finally nailing down the culprit: the AMD FUEL Service in the 14.7RC3, 14.9WHQL, and the 14.9.1beta drivers (the only AMD Catalyst versions I tried under Win10TP) should be disabled under the Win10TP in any system running both an AMD GPU & CPU. (I reinstalled the Win10TP updates after seeing they were not the cause of the problem.)

Disabling that service stops the problem completely, and does not limit the Catalyst CC in any way as far as controlling the gpu is concerned. The only "feature" removed from the Catalysts by disabling the AMD Fuel Service are the CPU controls for CPU overclocking and managing the power profile of the CPU (these features only appear in the Catalysts if you are also running an AMD cpu.) They are completely redundant to the Windows' Power Option controls and of course the cpu clocking options I control through my UEFI.

Apparently, Win10TP currently does not play well with the AMD Fuel Service if you have both an AMD GPU & CPU and you are running any of the latest three Catalyst driver releases from AMD. Under 8.1 I had no such problems, so I suspect that this won't be completely fixed until AMD releases a Win10TP-compliant GPU driver.

Oh, man, was I ever tricked...! The AMD Fuel Service had nothing to do with it. Instead I had been hit by a nasty little piece of malware disguising itself as "steam.exe" but designed to turn my box into a BitCoin Miner...! Naturally, when the software activated my GPU and cpu ramped up to full power...!

Read all about it here:

The new "\AppData\Roaming\Steam\Reversed\steam.exe" BitCoin malware: How to detect and remove it :: Help and Tips

:)

waltc, Oct 8, 2014
  2. kjl1956 Win User

how should i remove compatibility mode ?

Graphics card or chip is running in compatibility mode for older operating system.

Try to update the gpu drivers, intel, amd or nvidia.

Also check device manager for display adapters and if microsoft basic drivers are installed.

Two ways to update the driver(s), device manager, or install from the device makers software.

If you have more than one gpu, on the cpu, chip, or card you may have to update all.

On a laptop usually the cpu and maybe a dedicated chip.

Most intel cpus have a built in gpu, amd may have on on the cpu die most a series chips do,

nvidia are mostly chips on the motherboard.

If the gpu's did not get migrated ( carried over to 1607) could be the cause if the OS decided to

leave the basic driver.

Compatibility mode gets turned on by win10 if it does not like how hardware or software runs or

tries to utilize hardware, unless you check the programs exe settings after it runs or fails to run.

kjl1956, Oct 8, 2014
  3. Win 10 booting delay caused by AMD graphic driver in my laptop

Had the same issue on my desktop pc running CrossFire. Repairing the windows installation will not help

as windows 10 is still buggy as hell....

Uninstall your current GPU drivers & restart, Install the latest corresponding gpu drivers from the amd website & then disable ULPS in the registry...

open regedit as admin & search for "EnableULPS" this should find a DWORD 32bit value & change it from 1 to 0 & reboot...

th3S1Cn3ss, Oct 8, 2014
Thema:

Tip for AMD CPU & GPU desktop drivers running in Win10TP

1. Tip for AMD CPU & GPU desktop drivers running in Win10TP - Similar Threads - Tip AMD CPU

2. do i need amd radeon software for my amd cpu and second amd gpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    do i need amd radeon software for my amd cpu and second amd gpu: my pc specs are cpu : amd ryzen 5600h and as gpu ı have 2 gpus main one is nvidia rtx 3060 and other is called amd radeon graphics i am already nvidia driver updater but do i need the amd one bcz when i dwonload amd radeon software and install the driver updates, windows keep...
  3. AMD GPU Drivers

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    AMD GPU Drivers: So I may be able to get a new GPU. Currently looking at a 3090,6900xt or a 3080Ti. I know they really are overkill for 1440p 165hz gaming but, as it's going to be a while before I could potentially upgrade my GPU again I want something that will last a few years...
  4. GPU driver crashes AMD.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    GPU driver crashes AMD.: Hello,I have a problem when I play League Of Legends, the game crashes and I have an error "windows has restarted your gpu driver due to a problem", when I check the events viewer there's an warning, event id 4101, source : display that says : "Le pilote d’affichage amdkmdag...
  5. AMD GPU Driver Crashing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AMD GPU Driver Crashing: Quick disclaimer, I'm not that knowledgeable about computers so the easier the explanation the better. GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5600 XTMy original issue was that after 30 minutes or so of running a game or program I hadn't tested this out with just the PC running w/o any program my...
  6. Reinstall CPU/GPU driver?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall CPU/GPU driver?: Hello! I have problems with my pc at the moment and wanted to reinstall the CPU as well as gpu drivers and wanted to ask how to do that. lg CPU/GPU Treiber neu installieren?
  7. AMD GPU

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AMD GPU: So when I recently got a RX570, I couldn't set it as my default GPU. Instead, my Ryzen 3 3200g onboard graphics was my default GPU. Can anyone tell me how I can make my RX570 the default GPU? Thanks in advance Please reply ASAP...
  8. AMD Unleashes New AMD Radeon RX 5700 GPU and AMD Ryzen 3000 CPU

in Windows 10 News
    AMD Unleashes New AMD Radeon RX 5700 GPU and AMD Ryzen 3000 CPU: Today, AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) announced the global availability of its new leadership PC gaming platform based on AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 series graphics cards and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processors, as well as AMD Ryzen™ 3000 Series Processors with Radeon™ Graphics (APUs)....
  9. NVIDIA GPU + AMD CPU on W10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NVIDIA GPU + AMD CPU on W10: Hello.Is there anything what you need to know if you using windows 10 with nvi gpu and amd cpu ? I got Gainward GTX 1060 6Gb GPU and AMD Ryzen 7 2700x CPU on mobo TUF X470-Plus Gaming. I got some issues with .. starting maybe blue death when starting pc to problems with...
  10. Windows Update for amd gpu driver ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update for amd gpu driver ?: I have an amd 7970 top edition card.. I use the amd radeon settings for driver updates.. The settings say I have driver 18.8.1 installed and that there is a new driver 18.5.1 recommended to install, plus an optional 18.8.2.. I have windows update open and it says that there...