Windows 10: Tip for Start Menu Alternative

Discus and support Tip for Start Menu Alternative in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Since I don't have windows 10 installed, I basing the names of the folders on windows 7, please change accordingly. You will need to change your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by groze, Nov 19, 2014.

1. groze Win User

Tip for Start Menu Alternative

Since I don't have windows 10 installed, I basing the names of the folders on windows 7, please change accordingly. You will need to change your account to administrator for this to work, I think you can change back after your are done and it still should work but I have no idea.

You will need a registry file called take ownership. That file still should work in build 9879 but I am not sure. Merge that registry file. You can do this without take ownership reg file but it is a lot harder to do.

In folder options or whatever its called now. You will need you uncheck the hide boxes. Once that is done.

Open up folder c:\users
    Right Click on the folder called All Users and click on takeownship.

Close all folders. Right Click on taskbar, toolsbars, choose new toolbar,
    browser to C:\ProgramData\Start Menu select Programs

You will need to do this for each user you have on the computer.

You should have something like this, just click on programs arrow to open up.

Feel free to add corrections.

:)

groze, Nov 19, 2014
  2. lacrumb Win User

How do I access Command Prompt Administrator Access in Windows 10 with the Creators Upgrade installed?

The taskbar alternate menu and the Start alternate menu are the same.

Accessed by right clicking on the Start icon on the taskbar.

lacrumb, Nov 19, 2014
  3. Martmcd Win User
    How do I access Command Prompt Administrator Access in Windows 10 with the Creators Upgrade installed?

I think of that to be an alternate Start menu, the task bar has its own alternate menu.

perhaps its only me that thinks it would be better situated in the Start settings, still its not an issue.

Martmcd, Nov 19, 2014
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 19, 2014
  5. groze Win User
    Thank you Brink. I wasn't aware of that tip.

groze, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Tip for Start Menu Alternative - Similar Threads - Tip Start Menu

2. A wee TIP for Power Users menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    A wee TIP for Power Users menu: Maybe you are not aware of this, yet... This is in regard to the Power Users menu: It can be open by Rt Clking Windows logo. It can, also, be opened w/ Win+X and it is this way I am addressing, here. If, via Rt Clking no letters in the item words are underlined. BUT, use...
  3. Tips

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tips: "Tips" on this PC has several categories. The tips for each category are numbered 1 of n tips. How do you skip tip # 1 in any category? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tips/26f6d223-7166-4698-b672-c215934f51bb
  4. Start Menu

Start Menu: Start menu only opens with the top half showing and the bottom half is gone when first opened. This happens randomly and makes the brand new two weeks old and currently updated with most recent Windows updates, Surface Book 2 look glitchy. It happens every time I click the...
  5. Tip: Create a Mini Control Panel in Start Menu

Tip: Create a Mini Control Panel in Start Menu: Although Control Panel is being slowly eradicated, there are still a few links that are useful and getting to them via settings menu is a bit unintuitive. You can of course, pin control panel to the Start Menu to make access easier. People may not be aware that you can pin...
  6. tip

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    tip: I had to upgrade my hdd to a 6TB from a 3TB and it worked but what if you mobo goes out in warranty... diff serial on the mobo may not be recognized by digital license. It never hurts to have it just in case. Just so you understand(I realize reading a post is not the same...
  7. Alternative methods for unpinning from Start?

in Windows 10 Support
    Alternative methods for unpinning from Start?: I don't know if this is a bug or fluke, but I had two Office 2016 apps pinned to Start in Win10. Later, I uninstalled Office 2016. Instead of the two pinned items also disappearing, they stuck around, but now they're just blank squares that (of course) do nothing. The...
  8. Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu: The only problem that I am noticing with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is that the Start Menu doesn't have a smooth flow when opening. Is there any way to make it have a smooth flow again like in the old version of Windows 10? 58390
  9. AllApps menu alternative

in Windows 10 Support
    AllApps menu alternative: I prefer the AllApps screen in Win8.1 to the alpha list in Win10. I've suggested a few variants to MS through feedback. It looks as though the alpha list will be the defacto standard, although a leaked peek shows it is a little better (can be hidden) and the Start Screen...
  10. no start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    no start menu: Hello members Hopefully I can find a solution to my problem. Initially after start up to menu was always there then about a month ago it did not appear. I have been told to left click the windows Icon, the icon changes from white to blue but clicking on it has no effect...