Windows 10: Tip on how to find files by type from all over pc

Discus and support Tip on how to find files by type from all over pc in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was looking for a way to find all of my .JPG files so that I could sort through the ones I no longer want or need and to make organizing the ones I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dawn121988, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Tip on how to find files by type from all over pc

I was looking for a way to find all of my .JPG files so that I could sort through the ones I no longer want or need and to make organizing the ones I wanted to keep a bit easier.

First I found out about Press
    Windows key + R
    Type: %userprofile%
    Hit Enter

Click in the Search box
    Type: *.jpg

This was really very easy to do I also did the same for .mp3 and .mp4 and gif and a few other file types. And then removed the ones I don't need or want and then I organized them by placing all the images into the "Pictures" folder and then organized them from there.

This will help me find files I forgot about or missed placed and remove them or place them on a flash drive for later use it all depends on the files.

If anyone has any more simple tips to add to this I'm all ears.

:)

Dawn121988, Dec 29, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

Tip on how to find files by type from all over pc [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

3. Windows 10 typing slow

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted
    system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    Method 2: If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Cleanupimage

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Dec 29, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Tip on how to find files by type from all over pc

How to change default app for file type

@Bree - yes, I'm quite aware of this thanks, but as you will see it's missing. I recall reading that clicking the dialogue at a certain point in blank space made it appear, and trying that once successfully, but doesn't seem to help now. Plenty of other similar reports of this option being missing.

'Fix' described here: (essentially unassociate the extension)
    Windows 10 "Always use this app" checkbox missing - Super User

dalchina, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

Tip on how to find files by type from all over pc

1. Tip on how to find files by type from all over pc - Similar Threads - Tip find files

2. how stop cursor from jumping all over

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how stop cursor from jumping all over: how do i stop the cursor from jumping all over the place https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-stop-cursor-from-jumping-all-over/2858bb66-b0fe-495d-81dc-1140d01f5020
  3. how stop cursor from jumping all over

in Windows 10 Customization
    how stop cursor from jumping all over: how do i stop the cursor from jumping all over the place https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-stop-cursor-from-jumping-all-over/2858bb66-b0fe-495d-81dc-1140d01f5020
  4. Windows system files all over my pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows system files all over my pc: 1 Dozens of api-ms-win-core-somefile.dll are spread over my c:\ahk folder which unfortunately happens to be my, alphanumerically, FIRST folder in my system drive c: but which was meant for AutoHotkey, NOT for windows system files. I cannot understand that Windows obviously,...
  5. Windows system files all over my pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows system files all over my pc: 1 Dozens of api-ms-win-core-somefile.dll are spread over my c:\ahk folder which unfortunately happens to be my, alphanumerically, FIRST folder in my system drive c: but which was meant for AutoHotkey, NOT for windows system files. I cannot understand that Windows obviously,...
  6. Windows system files all over my pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Find all files of one type if another type is not present

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Find all files of one type if another type is not present: I have a really advanced file search that on the surface is simple, but I don't know what tools can accomplish this search. A decade ago I downloaded the Baen Free Library CDs that have e-books in multiple formats. I just found out by accident that my Kindle Keyboard can...
  8. Finding all files on PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Finding all files on PC: I am trying to access all my files that are on my computer running windows 10 but I cannot access them. How do you get to see every file that is on your computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/finding-all-files-on-pc/31a651fc-9cdb-4bc4-a330-0ed8ef1f273a"
  9. Tips on this PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tips on this PC: How do I skip tip # 1 in all categories? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tips-on-this-pc/8a8c6636-5f01-4d5a-b2c0-95f458691682
  10. Edge popup tips over and over and over again

in Browsers and Email
    Edge popup tips over and over and over again: How do I get Edge to stop with the constant barrage of pop-up tips showing the "make a note" feature and "reading" tips? If I wanted to use these I would use them! What do I need to do? Do I need to stop using Edge and use Chrome instead??? 25296