Windows 10: Tip re performance issues

Discus and support Tip re performance issues in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Based on my experience with Windows 10, if your main storage is a HD, here are a few tips that you may find useful for improving the performance of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by tr00don, Dec 11, 2018.

1. tr00don Win User

Tip re performance issues

Based on my experience with Windows 10, if your main storage is a HD, here are a few tips that you may find useful for improving the performance of your system:

- The HD seems the main bottleneck of a PC (not applicable is your system runs off an SSD). During periods of intensive HD operations the PC will become less responsive. These periods occur very often by default on Windows 10, for example:

• on (re)boot Win 10 checks for updates; when found they are installed; after installation, some system processess continue to use the HD intensivelly for 20 minutes or more;
    • Superfetch periodically scans the HD;
    • Indexing (Windows Search) and Cortana periodically scan the HD;
    • Telemetry tasks run periodically and use the HD;
    • Application Compatibility tasks run periodically and use the HD;
    • Antimalware scan runs every time after installing new software and upon software launch.
    - To minimize the impact of these activities on your system consider disabling some of them as follows:

• Delay Windows updates; this is not possible by default on Windows 10 Home as the Policy Editor is not installed by design; however, there is a "workaround" - Google gpedit.msc installer and follow the instructions; you can check for updates manually at any time; delaying updates resulted in a significant performance improvement for me at boot time;
    • Disable Superfetch - you don't really need it;
    • Disable Cortana or at least Web Cortana; minimize the number of files/folders on your HD that and indexed;
    • Disable Telemetry (several settings);
    • Disable Application Compatibility tasks in Task Scheduler (find instructions on the Web);
    • Try disabling some Antimalware locations, if possible (e.g., any folders containing large media files);
    • Minimize your PC communications with MS servers (Privacy settings);
    • Disable Windows Based Script Host in Task Manager|Startup items;
    • Disable OneDrive (look up instructions) unless you really need it;
    • Defragment your HD manually then set to Auto weekly.
    For 2-4 try OOSU10, it should be easy to find.
    Last but not least, as of Dec 2018 try upgrading to v.1809; on my PC it's noticeably faster than the previous versions.

:)

tr00don, Dec 11, 2018

2. Performance

Hi Ravivarma,

Since you are still experiencing the same issue even after performing a clean boot, you can check and follow the steps provided on this
    link. The tips on the link are listed in order, so we suggest that you start with the first one. If the issue
    persists, proceed to the next method.

Should you have further concerns, we are here to help.

Darleen Pen, Dec 11, 2018
  3. Johan45 Win User
    AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Dec 11, 2018
  4. Tip re performance issues

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Dec 11, 2018
Thema:

Tip re performance issues

1. Tip re performance issues - Similar Threads - Tip performance issues

2. SSD Optimization Tips for better performance on Windows PC

in Windows 10 News
    SSD Optimization Tips for better performance on Windows PC: [ATTACH]SSD or Solid State Drive is a great way to increase your read and write pace by leaps and bounds. But there is still a lot you can do to improve the performance further. This article will give you some SSD optimization tips for better performance, so, go through them...
  3. performance issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    performance issues: Hi Microsoft team,Good morning!! I have a Lenovo laptop with i7 processor and since I registered in windows insider program I got my windows 11 update even though my hardware requirements were not met I got windows 11 but my touchpad is not working properly and its getting...
  4. Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10 - by Microsoft

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10 - by Microsoft: Ten basic items to consider... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...pc-performance HTH *Smile 155811
  5. Performance issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Performance issues: I'm going to try and keep this simple. My Windows 10 PC started having a performance and temperature problem a few weeks ago. My CPU temperature goes up to about 60-70 Celsius in idle and in Overwatch, my FPS drops to 210-213 max. One way of fixing this was by keeping the...
  6. searching for windows 10 Performance Boosting tips

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    searching for windows 10 Performance Boosting tips: Can anyone help me to increase my windows 10 speed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-for-windows-10-performance-boosting-tips/8f6dc097-0526-427d-872f-f832f4c2bfbb
  7. Windows 10 Re Activation Tip

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Re Activation Tip: If you have an already activated copy of Windows 10 it is a very good idea that you create a Microsoft Account from your activated computer. By doing this your activated device is saved to your Microsoft account and if you have to reinstall your OS for any reason it makes...
  8. Ipod Touch issues TIP

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ipod Touch issues TIP: I just wanted to share my experience with the Ipod Touch issue; mine would not syncronize.. the sync option was greyed out and I just couldn't transfer my mp3's from my Itunes to my Ipod.... I have disabled my Firewall and that did the trick... guess you could just enable it...
  9. performance issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    performance issues: last year (october) there was a windows update that caused my laptop, and many others to have major performance issues while playing games. before the update: -100fps -medium/high game settings after the update: -10-50fps -low game settings -can run 60fps+ for...
  10. Need some tips about Cleaning Windows 10 .. and Performance tips

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Need some tips about Cleaning Windows 10 .. and Performance tips: Hey there I need some Tips/ideas to clean out Windows 10 I'm already using the Disk-Clean up Tool from Windows 10 and sometimes i clean out the %TEMP% Folder.. And i've Enabled this in Settings -> System -> Storage -> Smart Storage.. and Sometimes i clean that out to.....