Windows 10: tip

Discus and support tip in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had to upgrade my hdd to a 6TB from a 3TB and it worked but what if you mobo goes out in warranty... diff serial on the mobo may not be recognized... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Cliff S, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Cliff S New Member

tip

Just so you understand(I realize reading a post is not the same as hearing it verbal*Smile) I wasn't trying to be snooty.
    I keep all my keys, Windows and 3rd party, in a folder, synced to all my systems on OneDrive, and in a backup of my libraries on an external HDD, that sits in my closet, plus written down in a little green book.
    For such important data there is no such thing as enough redundancy*chuckle

:)

Cliff S, Sep 16, 2016

2. tips

<p>I have a Lumia 435.</p><p></p><p></p><p>What are some tips to make my phone uniquely mine.</p><p></p><p></p>Thank you

EthanGascoigne, Sep 16, 2016
  3. tips

I have a Lumia 435

What are some tips to optimize Cortana.

Thank you

EthanGascoigne, Sep 16, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

tip

You obviously do not understand how the free upgrades work.

This tip is absolutely no use for free upgrades, as the product key is only a generic one.

You get a digital licence tied to the hardware id and this is registered with MS and you do not even need a key to reinstall.

cereberus, Sep 16, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    Yes. You can (and I have) put a new HDD in a machine that's previously had the free upgrade activated, do a clean install and the activation servers will activate it automatically. Microsoft are on record as saying:

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...tions-answered

If you get asked for a key while installing, just click 'I don't have one' to carry on.

6. Barman58 Win User
    Also if you sign in with your Microsoft account, the digital licence is also tied to your Account in addition to your hardware ID.

This, it has been stated, By Microsoft, is capable of re-licensing a Windows 10 system where the motherboard had "died". No mention has been made of this not applying to OEM systems so it may be worth doing this by default even on these systems which are not normally recoverable if a Motherboard died.

Barman58, Sep 16, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    You have to have AU 1607 installed of course, but yeah - this is interesting as oem is a grey area. According to EULA, it is not permitted to transfer digital licence but I am certain the digital licence carries no history of its origin ie you have one or you do not - no retail or oem distinction.

My conclusion is that MS had to produce a tool to allow users who upgraded from retail windows 7/8 to be able to transfer digital licences to comply with their own EULA. In the free period, this was not an issue. However, I think any digital licence can be transferred as MS do not have any way of knowing if original was retail or oem.

A second conclusion is MS probably do not really care as the number of people this pertains to is a drop in the ocean compared to total number of installs. It would probably cost far more to put rigorous checks in place than the minor revenue loss.

I think all MS care about is keeping people on the W10 ecosphere. I think this is borne out by the fact that there does not seem to be any time limit any more on running unactivated versions of Windows 10 either.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

tip

1. tip - Similar Threads - tip

2. My Microsoft store is not working and I've tried every tip on the Microsoft website, but...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    My Microsoft store is not working and I've tried every tip on the Microsoft website, but...: Microsoft 10 computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-microsoft-store-is-not-working-and-ive-tried/af1a96c0-fadd-400e-9824-d1fdc7620928
  3. My Microsoft store is not working and I've tried every tip on the Microsoft website, but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Microsoft store is not working and I've tried every tip on the Microsoft website, but...: Microsoft 10 computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-microsoft-store-is-not-working-and-ive-tried/af1a96c0-fadd-400e-9824-d1fdc7620928
  4. My Microsoft store is not working and I've tried every tip on the Microsoft website, but...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. WSL Tips and Tricks: Things to do with WSL

in Windows 10 News
    WSL Tips and Tricks: Things to do with WSL: [IMG]WSL is a game-changer, allowing a complete Linux experience inside Windows. But to optimize it, we need to do more than rely on default settings. In this post, we will talk about tips and tricks to speed up and improve the WSL experience. Best WSL Tips and Tricks...
  6. Advice, and little tips

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Advice, and little tips: Hi, When you ask help from experts about removing a school account on your Windows 11 do not listen to them I will show you how to do it. It took me a bit to figure it out, but here is the correct way of doing in case you ever get stuck on it. Settings/Accounts/Access Work,...
  7. Advice, and little tips

Advice, and little tips: Hi, When you ask help from experts about removing a school account on your Windows 11 do not listen to them I will show you how to do it. It took me a bit to figure it out, but here is the correct way of doing in case you ever get stuck on it. Settings/Accounts/Access Work,...
  8. Can anyone recommend some hardware diagnostic tips

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can anyone recommend some hardware diagnostic tips: Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out with this. My PC fans have been making a lot more noise than usual recently, sometime when I'm doing nothing. I also play Microsoft Flight Simulator quite a lot and it has been crashing a lot, which is pretty standard, but it's...
  9. Can anyone recommend some hardware diagnostic tips

Can anyone recommend some hardware diagnostic tips: Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out with this. My PC fans have been making a lot more noise than usual recently, sometime when I'm doing nothing. I also play Microsoft Flight Simulator quite a lot and it has been crashing a lot, which is pretty standard, but it's...
  10. Can anyone recommend some hardware diagnostic tips

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging