Windows 10: Tips and tricks - You saw it first on TenForums!

Discus and support Tips and tricks - You saw it first on TenForums! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Without using Kari's PowerShell commands, here are my results without Wi-Fi, and then with Wi-Fi and Windows Updates. I will make a 2nd post using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kari, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Tips and tricks - You saw it first on TenForums!

Without using Kari's PowerShell commands, here are my results without Wi-Fi, and then with Wi-Fi and Windows Updates.

I will make a 2nd post using Kari's PowerShell commands, and my results without Wi-Fi, and then with Wi-Fi and Windows Updates.

Without Wi-Fi 33 apps...

Tips and tricks - You saw it first on TenForums! [​IMG]

With Wi-Fi and Windows Updates 37 apps...

tockx16jolt, Jul 27, 2017
  2. cereberus Win User

How to upgrade a 32 GB device (or even 16GB) device when little space left.

So here is the problem on small drives nearly full up.

You need enough space to create windows.old which can be up to 10 GBs easily on a 32GB device.

Usual advice is to clean install.

So I thought about it, and came up with a slightly convoluted solution. The principal steps are given below - this is not a tutorial and I assume some knowledge of user.

1) backup drivers as a precaution using powershell commands.

2) Install Macrium Reflect Free or similar on device and make image backup.

3) restore image backup to a virtual machine on a pc.

4) upgrade windows in vm

5) use disk cleanup to delete windows.old etc.

6) image backup vm installation

7) restore image backup to device

8) reinstate any drivers if necessary from your backup (I never needed to do this though but include step just in case).

This method works because of Windows 10's ability to be transferred to other devices usually without need to sysprep.

If you do get driver issues, you can modify above to use sysprep commands as well.

cereberus, Aug 2, 2017
  3. Barman58 Win User
    I have found that some devices will work the way that phones do, any added usable memory will be pooled with the default memory /disk space

This allows for a normal update/ upgrade to work but you still need to make sure it's installed correctly with the old file landing on the extended space. This method is great to know as most devices don't like upgrades as you have stated

Barman58, Aug 2, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

Tips and tricks - You saw it first on TenForums!

I'll keep this in my back pocket. I have a 32GB tablet that may need this in the future.

simrick, Aug 2, 2017
  5. flhthemi Win User
    I did this today and it worked BUT I can't seem to pin anything to the Start menu...Did I miss something or goof up?

flhthemi, Aug 8, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    Did you use the Group Policy trick, with an empty file made in Notepad?

7. flhthemi Win User
    Yes I did. I just fixed it, just now. I opened gpedit and disabled the .xml file. Restarted Windows and then removed all the empty icons that now appear on the start menu and added whatever I wanted to! *Smile

Thanks for your quick response!

flhthemi, Aug 8, 2017
  8. Kari Win User

The group policy locks Start. Good to know you found how to open it again.

9. cereberus Win User
    Good way of shrinking vhds.

Users of Hyper-v know that expandable vhds grow in size each time you upgrade and even if you run disk cleanup and shrink partition, the storage size of the vhd does not reduce - for some reason the space is not freed up externally.

The hyper-v shrink vhd command does not work, nor do power shell commands.

Basically you need to copy partitions in vhd to a new vhd to reclaim space.

Simple cloning does not work, as it ends up exactly same.

I know users have derived ways using image backups etc, but I have developed a very simple way of doing it using minitool partition wizard free.

1) Make backup copy of vhd in case crap happens

2) mount vhd as drive in host PC from disk management

3) create new expandable vhd, same size and format (MBR or GPT) as original.

4) Run minitool partition wizard free and shrink C drive to minimum size.

5) move any partitions to right of C drive leftmost, so all unallocated space is to right of all partitions

6) use disk copy feature of minitool, IMPORTANTLY selecting to NOT resize partitions (otherwise it expand all partitions in ratio to fill unallocated space)

It then gives you option to resize any partition before copying.

Select C Drive and expand to maximum size (all right hand partitions are moved to adjust)

It can take a while but end result is a new vhd that is truly at the minimum storage space externally.

cereberus, Aug 28, 2017
  10. DavidY Win User
    I use VirtualBox rather than Hyper-V, but the method I use is basically as shown at this link, which involves the compact vdisk command within Diskpart:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...-diskpart.aspx

Before doing this, I go into the VM while its running, and use SDelete (from Sysinternals) with the -z switch. Eg. Code: SDelete -z c:[/quote] Then close down the VM and then from the host machine use the diskpart steps in that link to compact it.

DavidY, Aug 28, 2017
  11. Kari Win User
  12. Cliff S New Member
    I'm not sure if this is published anywhere else, and I didn't know you could do this until I accidently did it a minute ago:

Placing your cursor over any icon on your desktop, and while holding the shift key down, and scrolling your mouse wheel UP(down does nothing), instantly opens the app, file, or folder.
    It also does it on the taskbar, but much slower.

Cliff S, Sep 30, 2017
  13. Barman58 Win User

Left on my MX master Mouse does the same thing *Smile

Barman58, Sep 30, 2017
  14. Edwin New Member
    Yeah, and if you have a speed wheel mouse, it opens bout a hundred and fifty instances of the item!!! *Cool

Edwin, Sep 30, 2017
  15. Edwin New Member
    One other thing I didn't know:

WinKey+Ctrl+Backspace is Task View.

Edwin, Sep 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Tips and tricks - You saw it first on TenForums! - Similar Threads - Tips tricks saw

2. Windows 11 tips & tricks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 tips & tricks: What the tips and tricks for windows 11[Original Title: Windows 11] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-tips-tricks/0b48e462-ed0b-4d3e-9863-877e9780e1fa
  3. Windows 11 tips & tricks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 tips & tricks: What the tips and tricks for windows 11[Original Title: Windows 11] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-tips-tricks/0b48e462-ed0b-4d3e-9863-877e9780e1fa
  4. Windows Terminal Tips and Tricks

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Terminal Tips and Tricks: Windows Terminal is a command-line tool developed by Microsoft. Using this tool, you can run multiple command-line tools like Command Prompt, PowerShell, etc., in separate tabs. Apart from this, you can also add different command-line emulators to the Windows Terminal by...
  5. Firewalls tips&Tricks

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Firewalls tips&Tricks: Hello community here, What's recommended tips and tricks of Windows built-in Firewalls? what should ON or OFF? I wanna know right configs and make it more secure to harden traffics and kinds of threats? Or to suggest me good guides of it. I am afraid to change something...
  6. Thank You TenForums.

in Windows 10 Support
    Thank You TenForums.: I would just like to thank the TenForums Administrators and Team for their continued support this year, it is very much appreciated. I would also like to thank ALL the members who have given their time FREE this year in the endeavour to help others. Let us hope that 2021 is...
  7. Windows Task Manager Tips and Tricks you may not be aware of

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Task Manager Tips and Tricks you may not be aware of: [ATTACH]Task Manager is the most important program you will have access to when everything else has either crashed or not responding. The post lists down […] This article Windows Task Manager Tips and Tricks you may not be aware of first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  8. VM Tips and Tricks?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM Tips and Tricks?: Hello, When I purchased my recent laptop, I had it come downgraded to Windows 7 Pro on a junk drive. So I essentially had a Windows 7 key and 8 key. I replaced the junk drive with an SSD and installed Windows 8 using the key in the BIOS. Today, the laptop is on Windows 10...
  9. Tips & Tricks

in Windows 10 Support
    Tips & Tricks: Post any tips, tricks, or workarounds here. How to use Windows 10 Technical Preview PC Start Search Cortana Apps Photos File Explorer Maps Xbox Personalization and settings Touch and keyboard Updates and feedback Windows Keyboard shortcuts (there's probably a...
  10. Windows 10: Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks: Despite still being very much an early preview, Windows 10 is already brimming with handy new featues, along with new tweaks and tricks—and, because the operating is still in preview, a handful of those tricks unlock powerful functionality hidden to everyday users....