Windows 10: Create Shortcut to Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Create Shortcut to Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create Shortcut to Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings in Windows 10 [img] Information Most computers have a specific key which when pressed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Kari, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Kari Win User

Create Shortcut to Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings in Windows 10

How to: Create Shortcut to Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings in Windows 10

Create Shortcut to Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Most computers have a specific key which when pressed when computer is started lets user to access UEFI (Firmware) settings. On laptop I'm using to write this, it's the ESC key. However, I quite often press the key too late missing the given timeframe, as this laptop by default only waits only a few seconds before booting to Windows.

Another option to boot to UEFI settings is to restart to advanced startup options (tutorial) and go from there.

This tutorial will show a third not well known but extremely practical way to restart directly to UEFI settings using a shortcut. Notice that the shortcut will not work on BIOS based machines, UEFI machines where entering firmware settings is disabled like in for instance on some rental computers, Hyper-V virtual machines and so on.

Here's how:

1.) Right click on an empty spot on desktop, select New > Shortcut:

2.) Enter the following command and click Next:
    shutdown /r /fw

3.) Name the shortcut as you wish, click Finish:

4.) Right click the new shortcut and select Properties:

5.) In Shortcut tab, select Advanced, select Run as administrator, click OK to close Advanced Properties, click OK to save changed Properties:

Note Usually the shutdown command does not require elevated (Run as administrator) privileges. However, using the /fw switch (fw = firmware) to boot to UEFI settings is an exeption; whenever /fw is used with shutdown command, it needs to be elevated. That is why we must elevate the shortcut.

6.) Optional: If you want to change the icon of the shortcut, see this tutorial: Customization Change Icon of Shortcut in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    On the left shortcut with default icon, on the right with custom icon:

7.) You can now restart your PC entering UEFI settings simply by double clicking the shortcut. As it is elevated, a UAC prompt will be shown. Click Yes:

Note If you want to skip UAC prompt, see this tutorial: Customization Create Elevated Shortcut without UAC prompt in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

8.) You will get a notification about Windows signing you out. Click Close, close all possibly open applications and let your PC restart to UEFI settings:

9.) Your PC will now restart directly to UEFI settings (below a sample screenshot, actual settings page might be different based on actual UEFI manufacturer and version):

That's it! Couldn't be easier Create Shortcut to Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings in Windows 10 :)

Kari

Related Tutorials

:)

2. Laptop grinding to a halt

Please confirm you created the bootable flash stick with the media creation tool ONLY. Does it boot does it boot as a UEFI device in another UEFI PC?

You said that you UEFI boot is enabled in the firmware settings, correct? Now look at all other tabs of the firmware to report back settings for UEFI, CSM, Legacy BIOS, and secure boot.

However if UEFI boot is enabled then using the Boot menu key trigger you should have a UEFI choice for the flash stick if it was created correctly. I would try creating it again or create bootable DVD to compare.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 25, 2017
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 25, 2017
  4. sygnus21 Win User

Works on my end, no problem. Love it and something I'll use as I'm always in the BIOS. Big +1 *Thumbs

sygnus21, Sep 25, 2017
  5. Kari Win User
    Thanks! You have a BIOS machine?

6. sygnus21 Win User
    No, UEFI. Should have said that. BTW is there a way to make this a desktop right click? That is right clicking the desktop gives me the option to choose this shortcut?

Here's mine -

sygnus21, Sep 25, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
  8. sygnus21 Win User

Thanks. I just pinned it to my taskbar. Anyway, again, your tutorial worked perfectly.

Tried to rep, but couldn't do it. I owe you one though *Wink

Peace *Cool

sygnus21, Sep 25, 2017
  9. Kari Win User

Thanks for feedback!

10. Joanne Win User
    Hi,

This does not work on my system (which is fully shown in my system specs). I am using legacy BIOS. I followed the instructions and created the shortcut. When I double-click on it, CMD appears for a fraction of a second, and then nothing happens. I am still on my Desktop. If I right-click on the shortcut, then run-as-administrator, the same thing happens.

My OS is Win 10 Pro, fully updated.

Note: I do not really need this shortcut but I like to try new things.

Joanne, Sep 25, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Working on a tutorial for that now using a PowerShell wrapper for elevation. I'll post back when it's ready. *Smile

Brink, Sep 25, 2017
  12. Kari Win User
    Your screenshot tells the full story (I've highlighted the error message):

This method works without issues on all UEFI based machines, legacy BIOS machines might get the error like you did.

Cool!

13. sygnus21 Win User

Excellent. Looking forward to it *Smile

sygnus21, Sep 25, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    @sygnus21

Before I finalize it, how does this look for the context menu name, icon, and location?

Brink, Sep 25, 2017
  15. sygnus21 Win User
    Perfect. That's just how I like it. Thanks! *Smile

sygnus21, Sep 25, 2017
Thema:

1. Create Shortcut to Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Shortcut Boot

2. The UEFI firmware settings missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The UEFI firmware settings missing: The UEFI firmware settings on my window 10 pro missing . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-uefi-firmware-settings-missing/c26c52fa-82d6-4d11-b41b-9e94ad91b866
  3. The UEFI firmware settings missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The UEFI firmware settings missing: The UEFI firmware settings on my window 10 pro missing . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-uefi-firmware-settings-missing/c26c52fa-82d6-4d11-b41b-9e94ad91b866
  4. uefi firmware settings windows 10 missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    uefi firmware settings windows 10 missing: Hi, I want to install windows 7 on my HP EliteBook 8560p. Now I have Windows 10. To install it I have to go on troubleshooting advanced options and press uefi firmware settings windows 10 which do not shows there,but I saw that my laptop supports UEFI. How can I find it...
  5. UEFI Firmware Setting missing on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    UEFI Firmware Setting missing on Windows 10: Dear Friends, Why is UEFI Firmware Setting missing on Windows 10? [ATTACH] But in another Windows 10, I see this option. [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uefi-firmware-setting-missing-on-windows-10/d5160b6d-53c0-4e4b-9a94-2ca80be2ba66
  6. UEFI Firmware settings missing on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    UEFI Firmware settings missing on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]UEFI is one of the most important pieces of software when it comes to booting an operating system on a computer. BIOS being an alternative to UEFI already is less preferred when compared to it. Whether UEFI or BIOS is [...] This post UEFI Firmware settings...
  7. UEFI firmware settings SAMSUNG

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI firmware settings SAMSUNG: Hello all, My system specs are the following: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit UEFI Bios Phoenix BIOS version and drivers are updated, also confirmed by Slimdrivers. Samsung Series 5 ULTRA 530U4C-S02PT Also: It is an hybrid drive, 1TB HDD & 24GB SSD that is supposedly well...
  8. UEFI firmware settings screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI firmware settings screen: I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (32Bit), Since, I have lost access to my DVD drive. The Device Manager shows: [img] The drive has always been connected and worked fine with Windows 7; the hardware has never been altered or messed about with. So I decided...
  9. Add Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) is a standard firmware interface for PCs, designed to replace BIOS...
  10. Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings from inside Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings from inside Windows 10: How to: Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings from inside Windows 10 How to Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings from inside Windows 10 [img] Information UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) is a standard firmware interface for PCs, designed to replace BIOS (basic...