Windows 10: Tips for installing Windows 10 Pro onto a new NVMe Drive

Discus and support Tips for installing Windows 10 Pro onto a new NVMe Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have just acquired a 500GB Western Digital Black SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD. I am wanting to set this up as my boot drive and install Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GregH, Aug 3, 2020.

1. GregH Win User

Tips for installing Windows 10 Pro onto a new NVMe Drive

Hello,

I have just acquired a 500GB Western Digital Black SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD. I am wanting to set this up as my boot drive and install Windows 10 x64 Pro. I will do this using the Media Creation Tool, running the Windows setup on a USB.

My question: is there anything specific I should change in the BIOS to make the NVMe perform optimally as a boot drive? Motherboard is MSI XPower Titanium Z170A. It has the most current BIOS.

Thanks!

:)

GregH, Aug 3, 2020

2. Installing new NvMe drive and using it as primary boot runnig windows 10

Hello,

I have a preinstalled windows 10 along with 30+ apps(both from manufacturer and third party) running on my desktop. I recently bought the Samsung 960 evo NvMe drive and would like to use it as my new boot drive. I know that I have to create a bootable usb
    drive, disconnect all other SSD/HDD, leave only the NvMe drive, install windows on it and then reconnect all the drives back.

I would like to understand how I could create an ISO image of my preinstalled windows 10(along with all the updates, hardware drivers and apps) and make a bootable USB out of it. Is it possible? if so, could anyone list the steps needed or point me to a
    thread or post online? Thank you.

SusheelPalkamsetti, Aug 3, 2020
  3. Windows 10 installer don't detect NVMe drive

I have 2 drives:

• disk1 (SATA SSD, with Ubuntu 16.04)
      • partition1 (sda1: flag /boot)
      • partition2 (sda2: flag /home, encrypted by LUKS)
    • disk2 (NVMe SSD)

So, the goal is to install Windows 10 on disk2 and boot it from GRUB (which is on sda1).

What is the problem ?

In disk-choose step, disk2 is missing. However Ubuntu 14.04 installer "see" this disk, so I assume that is software issue, rather than my hardware.

What I tried to solve this problem ?

• loaded Samsung NVMe drivers from this thread
    • patched Windows image using DISM tool by adding 2 updates. I followed this guide
    • tried to run Windows 10 installed on USB stick to install it

All of them failed.

Please help me to solve this issue.

WojciechCe, Aug 3, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on an M2 SSD drive - will it work? Any tips?

Hi Neil

No need to worry, installing Windows 10 onto an M2 or NVMe M2 drive is no different to installing Windows 10 onto an ordinary drive, the same process applies . . .

DaveM121, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Tips for installing Windows 10 Pro onto a new NVMe Drive - Similar Threads - Tips installing Pro

2. Installed new Nvme drive - cloned windows 10 to it but it won't boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installed new Nvme drive - cloned windows 10 to it but it won't boot: Hi My Motherboard a X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING-CF has two Nvme sockets but i want to add a third 1TB Nvme ssd. So I bought a Sabrent adapter card and a new 1TB WD black Nvme ssd. I added the new Sabrent adapter with the new WD 1TB in and cloned the windows system to it. I then...
  3. Troubles installing windows onto ssd nvme

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Troubles installing windows onto ssd nvme: I’m having toruble trying to install windows 10 on my 980 pro nvme. Iv got a b550m mortar motherboard. After installing windows on the 980 only drive in the system, removing the usb, and restarting. It fails to load windows and instead insta boots bios. I believe my problem...
  4. question about reinstalling windows 10 onto a new nvme drive after a hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    question about reinstalling windows 10 onto a new nvme drive after a hardware upgrade: Will this work? (windows 10 reinstall +hardware upgrade question) Right now, i’m planning to upgrade my cpu, gpu, mobo, ram, and add an nvme drive. Currently I have 2 SSDs in my computer. Here are the steps that I am going to take to reinstall windows when I upgrade Move...
  5. Windows 10 Pro install from usb to nvme not recognizing the drive

Windows 10 Pro install from usb to nvme not recognizing the drive: I am trying to upgrade to windows 10 pro...from usb to an nvme drive...however during install it does not recognize the drive, and displays no drives at all... -- i am trying to figure out what driver to download nad extract, because i did so with every one from Dell that...
  6. Clean install of Windows 10 20H2 onto existing Windows 10 19H1 NVMe drive

Clean install of Windows 10 20H2 onto existing Windows 10 19H1 NVMe drive: Dear All, I currently have the following setup: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme NVMe slot 1 - Sabrent Rocket 2TB NVME 4.0 boot drive shown in RAIDXpert2 Array 3 System Boot drive NVMe slots 2 & 3 - addlink 2TB NVMe 3.0 pair in RAID 1 SATA slots 0, 1, 4, 5 -...
  7. Clean install of windows onto a new drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install of windows onto a new drive: How can I do a clean install of windows but change it to a new drive? submitted by /u/Starzz_1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jbisvz/clean_install_of_windows_onto_a_new_drive/
  8. Install windows 10 pro new drives

Install windows 10 pro new drives: Hello I have older mbr 1tb drive , 4.5 yr old like To upgrade to GPT 2019 new have installed Ngff pci e 4x New samsung 970 evo 2019 W/ SATA firecuda SHDD flash drive 2 tb drive New. I installed them the computer has found them and all is good working I try to install...
  9. Installing new windows 10 onto a new computer

Installing new windows 10 onto a new computer: i just finished building a pc and im trying to install windows 10 but my product key is not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-new-windows-10-onto-a-new-computer/cd131f2a-54dd-41b7-a1b7-72f7bffd7914
  10. AHCI Clean install windows 10 onto new SSD drive

AHCI Clean install windows 10 onto new SSD drive: I seem to remember, when I installed windows 7 Pro 64 bit on a new build, a few years ago, I had to install some specific drivers during the Windows 7 installation to ensure drives used AHCI mode. Do I still need to do anything during windows 10 clean install to new SSD drive...