Windows 10: TLS handshake with apod.nasa.gov fails

Discus and support TLS handshake with apod.nasa.gov fails in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I input the URL apod.nasa.gov into any Web browser on my Win 10 1903 Ethernet/fiber-connected tower, the status line says it's doing a TLS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bachware, Oct 1, 2019.

1. bachware Win User

TLS handshake with apod.nasa.gov fails

When I input the URL apod.nasa.gov into any Web browser on my Win 10 1903 Ethernet/fiber-connected tower, the status line says it's doing a TLS handshake with the site, but just sits there, and never connects, eventually giving the error "Problem loading page. Secure connection failed. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR". What's weird is that I have the same 1903 on my ASUS U50f laptop, which connects to APOD fine there wirelessly, via the same router (a Linksys E1200). Any ideas? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

DUH. It was the router itself. I power-cycled it, and now the site handshaking is working fine.

:)

bachware, Oct 1, 2019
  2. Callender Win User

Intermittent problems with TLS handshake and being timed out

Check DNS settings for both network adapters. Your Wifi might be set to use a different DNS server.

Getting message when trying to connect - Windows 10 Forums

Option Two follow steps then pick a DNS server from the list in item 7. Personally I use CloudFlare DNS

EDIT: Reset router first as already suggested.

Callender, Oct 1, 2019
  3. Gilbeh Win User
    Intermittent problems with TLS handshake and being timed out

Hi

I have a new Dell laptop running Windows 10 and Kaspersky.

When using MS Edge for Internet banking, I can sometimes connect straight through security and right through to statements. Other times I get the error code INET E CONNECTION TIMEOUT very quickly. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason when this will happen or how far into the bank site I get.

Using Mozilla Firefox, I get the same intermittent problem but this time it gets stuck on TLS handshake and just goes round and round.

I have just been successful in getting right through to statements at Lloyds on both browsers and have also ordered an item online successfully. So, I tried Halifax - no joy, now I get the error message or TLS handshake and on Firefox I can't even get Google, as it sticks on handshake for that site too.

All the rest of the computer is fine and I can run BBC I-player OK.

Any suggestions as to how to cure this would be welcome as it is very frustrating.

Thanks.

Gilbeh, Oct 1, 2019
  4. curatia Win User

Microsoft Edge TLS Security

After trying everything (not a lot of steps) listed in the Microsoft Edge support site, I did a wider search and found this very simple youtube video that fixed it immediately:

For those who prefer not to click links the steps are simple:

1. Click in the Cortana search bar next to the Win 10 Start button

2. Type internet options

3. Select internet options (control panel) from the list

4. Click on the advanced tab

5. Scroll down to the security section

6. Make sure the following are all clicked:
    Use SSL 3.0
    Use TLS 1.0
    Use TLS 1.1
    Use TLS 1.2

7. Click apply

8. Refresh the page that was giving the error and it should now connect.

Hope this helps, it was a 30 second fix after hours of pounding my head against the error with the Support site suggestions.

curatia, Oct 1, 2019
Thema:

1. TLS handshake with apod.nasa.gov fails - Similar Threads - TLS handshake apod

2. SSL handshake failed when trying to update Bodno software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSL handshake failed when trying to update Bodno software: SSL handshake failed when trying to update Bodno software https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssl-handshake-failed-when-trying-to-update-bodno/602a5ca1-c6c0-42fc-915a-0edc59a1c79a
  3. SSL handshake failed when trying to update Bodno software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSL handshake failed when trying to update Bodno software: SSL handshake failed when trying to update Bodno software https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssl-handshake-failed-when-trying-to-update-bodno/602a5ca1-c6c0-42fc-915a-0edc59a1c79a
  4. SSL handshake failed when trying to update Bodno software

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. My computers Intel management engine interface driver failed to perform handshake with the...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computers Intel management engine interface driver failed to perform handshake with the...: My computers intel management engine interface driver failed to perform handshake with the firmware. What should i do? * Moved from Community Participation Center * Original title: Guys i need your help. * OS not specified...
  6. TLS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    TLS: Running WIN 10 and VIASAT Browser- Continually get messages with suggestions as to what the problem is when trying to connect to the internet. However, there are no instructions on how to change TLS to default setting....
  7. Very slow internet handshakes

Very slow internet handshakes: Since, I think, the Fall update - there have been a rash coming in over the last four days - all my browsers either fail or are slow (minutes) in making connections. Chrome just sleeps after I have clicked a link, Firefox says "performing TLS handshake" and then has a tea...
  8. Getting "Performing a TLS handshake to" message when trying to connect

in Browsers and Email
    Getting "Performing a TLS handshake to" message when trying to connect: Hi everyone: I tried this on Chrome and Firefox. Here's the FF result. Since about a few days ago, I'm trying to connect to this small local bank's website. But it hangs up on this message: Code: Performing a TLS handshake to <website>[/quote] Here's the screenshots:...
  9. Customise Screensaver with NASA ISS Live Feed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customise Screensaver with NASA ISS Live Feed: Does anybody know how to customise my screensaver with the live ISS feed from the earth cams? I saw it mentioned somewhere recently, and had a look at NASA etc but cant find any info 64518
  10. Intermittent problems with TLS handshake and being timed out

Intermittent problems with TLS handshake and being timed out: Hi I have a new Dell laptop running Windows 10 and Kaspersky. When using MS Edge for Internet banking, I can sometimes connect straight through security and right through to statements. Other times I get the error code INET E CONNECTION TIMEOUT very quickly. There seems...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. performing a tls handshake hangs