Windows 10: TLS security settings error - cannot connect to the Internet

Discus and support TLS security settings error - cannot connect to the Internet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi - hope someone out there can help me with this: I have a laptop running Windows 10 Pro (Version 1803, OS build 17134.706). I'm having trouble... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Neil.Mc, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Neil.Mc Win User

TLS security settings error - cannot connect to the Internet

Hi - hope someone out there can help me with this:

I have a laptop running Windows 10 Pro (Version 1803, OS build 17134.706). I'm having trouble connecting to the Internet via my web browsers. Regardless of which one I use, they fail when connecting to *almost* all websites. I'm getting the same or similar messages:

Microsoft Edge 42.17134.10

Cannot securely connect to this page

This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website's owner.

Your TLS security settings aren't set to the defaults, which could also be causing this error.

Google Chrome version 73.0.3683.103 (Official Build) (64-bit)

This site can't be reached.

www.google.com unexpectedly closed the connection.

Try:

Checking the connection
    Checking the proxy and the firewall
    Running Windows Network Diagnostics

Firefox version 66.0.3 (64-bit)

Secure Connection Fails

The connection to www.google.com was interrupted while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this.

I've done some poking around online, and think the issue has something to do with the TLS security settings. I've read through this existing thread - https://answers.microsoft.com/ - but it doesn't solve my problems. I have ticked and unticked SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 in all possible combinations but it hasn't made any difference.

If I reboot the computer, the problem seems to resolve itself for about ten minutes. Then it comes back again.

If I disable my anti-virus and Windows Defender then the problem also resolves itself but again only for about ten minutes. In addition to Windows Defender I have these antivirus programs installed on the computer:

Avast Free Antivirus
    Version 19.3.2369 (build 19.3.4241.450)

Bitdefender Antivrius Free
    Product version 1.0.15.101

I can't seem to isolate whether its Avast, Bitdefender or Windows Defender (or indeed any of them) that is causing the issue. Disabling any two of them is not enough to resolve the problem. I always have to disable all three. I can then reactivate some or all of them and the computer can connect normally to websites for about 10 minutes.

There's nothing wrong with the internet connection. There are numerous other devices in the house that are connecting online flawlessly.

There's also nothing wrong with the specific websites I'm trying to access. I can get them on my phone, my tablet, my xbox or my other computer.

This has also only started happening in the last three days. Before that Edge, Chrome and Firefox were all connecting perfectly to all websites. It's as if someone flipped a switch and now it's no longer working. Although I haven't installed anything or updated any settings myself in the meantime.

In addition to this laptop I also have a desktop computer which is running Windows 10 Pro, has exactly the same web browsers and exactly the same antivirus programs installed... but it is working fine. So I'm completely baffled.

Can anyone shed any light on what is going on here? I would be extremely grateful!

Many thanks,

Neil.

:)

Neil.Mc, Apr 16, 2019
  2. curatia Win User

Microsoft Edge TLS Security

After trying everything (not a lot of steps) listed in the Microsoft Edge support site, I did a wider search and found this very simple youtube video that fixed it immediately:

For those who prefer not to click links the steps are simple:

1. Click in the Cortana search bar next to the Win 10 Start button

2. Type internet options

3. Select internet options (control panel) from the list

4. Click on the advanced tab

5. Scroll down to the security section

6. Make sure the following are all clicked:
    Use SSL 3.0
    Use TLS 1.0
    Use TLS 1.1
    Use TLS 1.2

7. Click apply

8. Refresh the page that was giving the error and it should now connect.

Hope this helps, it was a 30 second fix after hours of pounding my head against the error with the Support site suggestions.

curatia, Apr 16, 2019
  3. TLS security setting

We appreciate your response and the confirmation. To troubleshoot, we suggest the following steps:

• In the Windows Search bar, type Internet Options.
    • Open the app and got to the Advanced tab.
    • In the Security section, scroll down and add a checkmark to the following:
      Use SSL 3.0

Use TLS 1.0

Use TLS 1.1

Use TLS 1.2
    • After adding a checkmark, click on Apply then OK
      to save changes.

Give us an update about how it went so we can provide additional help.

Kind regards.

Jennifer Cha, Apr 16, 2019
  4. TLS security settings error - cannot connect to the Internet

TLS security setting

I have been trying to figure this out for days. I seen this info and I fixed it in 20 seconds!!! TY so much!!!! Tammy

tammy333bowers, Apr 16, 2019
Thema:

TLS security settings error - cannot connect to the Internet

1. TLS security settings error - cannot connect to the Internet - Similar Threads - TLS security settings

2. When will be the transport Layer Security TLS internet protocol TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 for...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When will be the transport Layer Security TLS internet protocol TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 for...: Hello,When will be the transport Layer Security TLS internet protocol TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 for setting up an encrypted channel of communication between a client and server disabled?We still need TLS 1.1, so when it will be disabled? By a Microsoft patch? And how could we...
  3. When will be the transport Layer Security TLS internet protocol TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 for...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When will be the transport Layer Security TLS internet protocol TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 for...: Hello,When will be the transport Layer Security TLS internet protocol TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 for setting up an encrypted channel of communication between a client and server disabled?We still need TLS 1.1, so when it will be disabled? By a Microsoft patch? And how could we...
  4. TLS security settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    TLS security settings: Recently, I was trying to connect to Facebook and WhatsApp Web's pages, but I couldn't because the following message appeared, every time: "Can’t connect securely to this page This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps...
  5. TLS Security

TLS Security: Hello, Just today I found that I am unable to load most web pages in MS Edge or even Chrome. Message says my TLS security is preventing access which is because my wpad.home devise is not set up to accept connections on the port World Wide Web Service HTTP. This has only...
  6. TLS security configuration error: cannot connect to the Internet

TLS security configuration error: cannot connect to the Internet: I have a laptop with Windows 10 Pro (version 1903). I have problems connecting to the Internet through my web browsers. Regardless of which one you use, they fail to connect to almost all websites. I receive the same or similar messages: Microsoft Edge: You cannot connect...
  7. TLS security setting

TLS security setting: When I try to login to my Bank for online bill pay, I get the following error message: TLS security setting Can’t connect securely to this page This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website’s...
  8. outdated or unsafe TLS security settings....................

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    outdated or unsafe TLS security settings....................: Can’t connect securely to this page This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website’s owner. Your TLS security settings aren’t set to the defaults, which could also be causing this error....
  9. More about TLS Security Setting

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    More about TLS Security Setting: Hi - I just encountered this problem when i tried to get to the MICROSOFT site (www.microsoft.com) using my newly-installed Edge browser. According to *some* of the instructions in the threads here, it said to contact the site to make sure their certificates were configured...
  10. TLS security settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    TLS security settings: how do I reset my TLS security settings back to default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tls-security-settings/b29e3acf-d709-4b46-8f2c-3fc1581eb163

Users found this page by searching for:

1. tls security settings

2. TLS security setting error

3. how to reset tls security

4. tls beveiligingsinstellingen windows 10,
  5. tsl security setting error on many websuites,
  6. your tls security settings aren’t set to the defaults which could also be causing this error.,
  7. tls security settings error,
  8. getting a TLS security error,
  9. TLS security settings aren’t set to the defaults which could also be causing this error.,
  10. tls security settings windows 10,
  11. TLS security settings aren’t set to the defaults in firefox,
  12. sicap your tls security settings aren’t set to the defaults which could also be causing this error.,
  13. Your TLS security settings arent set to the defaults which could also be causing the error,
  14. tls security settings windows 10 error,
  15. tls settings win10