Windows 10: To any DVD ripping - Handbrake quality - Lossless or default

Discus and support To any DVD ripping - Handbrake quality - Lossless or default in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there To any DVD rippers -- standard DVD's not Blu Ray's. I'm converting my huge mass of DVD's into MKV files to store on HDD and then give the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Jun 15, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

To any DVD ripping - Handbrake quality - Lossless or default

Hi there

To any DVD rippers -- standard DVD's not Blu Ray's. I'm converting my huge mass of DVD's into MKV files to store on HDD and then give the physical DVD's away to the local charity shop -- I've got around 1000 collected over the years.

HANDBRAKE converts the DVD's just fine ( I de-regionalize and decript first by using AnyDVD to create an ISO image which I then mount with W10 as a "Virtual DVD".

Is there any significant degradation in setting the quality to 0 (i.e LOSSLESS) or leaving it as 8 in the default. The largest screen I'll be viewing these on is around 42 inches.

I did try MAKEMKV but that program doesn't always work. Handbrake works just fine and I can double my throughput as I have it both on Windows and Linux machines -- The iso's can be accessed by Linux as shared files over a FAST network.

I'm new to all this stuff but it's time I got rid of these DVD's -- My media server can play these remotely and Handbrake always works It's just difficult to get the best settings which is why I'm asking for anybody who does a lot of this type of thing to suggest settings etc.

("She who must be obeyed" ...... wants more space !!!!!!!!!! so I've been nagged into clearing out DVD's.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jun 15, 2015
  2. Andre Da Costa, Jun 15, 2015
  3. DVD to N8 software

try Handbrake for mac- you can totally rip dvds that you have purchased to mp4 fiies that play nicely on the lovely hd screens of the N8! :smileywink:

ghengisbabydoll, Jun 15, 2015
  4. To any DVD ripping - Handbrake quality - Lossless or default

Sorry cant help on Handbrake, not used it for a number of years

If you don't mind paying for software, have a look at Winx DVD (unfortunately don't think its available for Linux), has lots of presets so easy to use and does the decrypting then copying all by itself, no additional programmes needed

paulsalter, Jun 15, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Thanks --I'll have a look at that one too. - I really need to get rid of 1000(or more) DVD's --amazing how much space they have --and all my video can now be played via a media) server (I use both MEZZMO and PLEX.

I don't have any Blu Ray's so standard DVD rips are fine.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 15, 2015
  6. Hi,
    I am doing exactly the same, ripping all my dvd's, but its a slow process

Mainly use Mezzmo, but been trying out Emby (similar to Plex) and Media Portal (very nice but no DLNA option)

paulsalter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

To any DVD ripping - Handbrake quality - Lossless or default

1. To any DVD ripping - Handbrake quality - Lossless or default - Similar Threads - DVD ripping Handbrake

2. Question: Can I still rip audio CDs to Apple Lossless format in Windows 11? Sunday,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question: Can I still rip audio CDs to Apple Lossless format in Windows 11? Sunday,...: I definitely should wait at least another 120 days before getting a Windows 11 PC as I’ll rip at least 7,630 songs from audio CDs to Apple Lossless format to save in a Norton 360 Premium II plan with 150 GB of cloud storage so far. There should be an iTunes 13 or 12.13 by...
  3. Question: Can I still rip audio CDs to Apple Lossless format in Windows 11? Sunday,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question: Can I still rip audio CDs to Apple Lossless format in Windows 11? Sunday,...: I definitely should wait at least another 120 days before getting a Windows 11 PC as I’ll rip at least 7,630 songs from audio CDs to Apple Lossless format to save in a Norton 360 Premium II plan with 150 GB of cloud storage so far. There should be an iTunes 13 or 12.13 by...
  4. Looking for a Handbrake alternative

Looking for a Handbrake alternative: Hi I am looking for a more robust trans coder than Handbrake for Windows 10 version 2004 x64, I don't mind if is payware Thank you very much in advance jedi I don't have idea where to start with this result, they are suggesting the "best" Handbrake alternative, usually I...
  5. Add Subtitle with HandBrake

Add Subtitle with HandBrake: Hello,If somebody is familiar with "HandBrake" program, here is my question:I use "HandBrake" for a long time to add subtitle to a movie file.Recently started the program, loaded a movie file (mp4), 1hr. 42min.Imported the subtitle file (srt), set everything as I did always,...
  6. Change Default Music rip app in Win10

Change Default Music rip app in Win10: how do I change the default music rip app in Win10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-music-rip-app-in-win10/92a281aa-56b1-482e-b7a6-f6b9d0dffbd8
  7. A Powershell Script for HandBrake

A Powershell Script for HandBrake: Here's the thing. My system is an age-old i3-530 overclocked to 3.5GHz coupled with GTX 1050 2GB. I have around 1.5TB of tutorial videos that I have to encode due to dearth in HDD space. I want to encode the videos while keeping the folder and subfolder structure intact....
  8. W10 and ripping DVD's / Blu Ray's

W10 and ripping DVD's / Blu Ray's: Hi there One thing about W10 - a lot of programs I had problems with in the past seem to work perfectly now. This one works brilliantly for example. I use MAKEMKV now for ripping DVD's (FREE) -- there is a fee though if you use Blu RAY's but you get 30 days free trial....
  9. Adding Subtitle with Handbrake

Adding Subtitle with Handbrake: Hello, Recently downloaded some full movie (mp4), and found a Hebrew subtitle. Located both files in a folder, opened the subtitle with Notepad, made some minor editing, saved it (encoding UTF-8) srt file, movie and subtitle same name. Played the movie in any player on...
  10. Handbrake - convert AVI and MP4 to MKV with subtitles at best quality

Handbrake - convert AVI and MP4 to MKV with subtitles at best quality: Hi there Any Video experts out there I've some AVI and MP4 files with external .SRT subtitles that I'd like to convert to MKV with embedded subtitles (not forced). That way I can forget about the .srt files that don't always play properly on MEZZMO / SERVIIO or PLEX...