Windows 10: To open cmd.exe as administrator without creating a shortcut for cmd

Discus and support To open cmd.exe as administrator without creating a shortcut for cmd in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi How to make cmd.exe open in admin mode every time we launch though C:\Users\Username profile instead of C:\Windows\System32? Can it be done through... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hiddenworld, May 19, 2020.

1. To open cmd.exe as administrator without creating a shortcut for cmd

Hi

How to make cmd.exe open in admin mode every time we launch though C:\Users\Username profile instead of C:\Windows\System32? Can it be done through group policy or registry setting ?

I have attached the snapshot of cmd in admin mode for C:\Users\Username

Also The windows version number is 1809 (OS BUILD 17763.1192)

:)

Hiddenworld, May 19, 2020

2. CMD popup

Here you go:

• Log on under an admin account.
    • Create a desktop shortcut for cmd.exe.
    • Right-click this shortcut, then left-click "Run as administrator".
    • Accept the challenge.
    • Type these commands and press Enter after each:

cd /d %SystemRoot%

cd System32

takeown /f cmd.exe

cacls cmd.exe /g everyone:F

(anwer "Y" when asked "Are you sure?")

ren cmd.exe cmd1.exe
    And here is how to reverse the above steps:

• Log on under an admin account.
    • Create a desktop shortcut for cmd1.exe.
    • Right-click this shortcut, then left-click "Run as administrator".
    • Accept the challenge.
    • Type these commands and press Enter after each:

cd /d %SystemRoot%

cd System32

ren cmd1.exe cmd.exe
    If the pop-up occurs frequently then you could leave your own command prompt open for an hour or two. In this case you would only need the line in italics to reverse your action.

Frederik Long, May 19, 2020
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, May 19, 2020
  4. To open cmd.exe as administrator without creating a shortcut for cmd

New Apps not showing anywhere

Hi Simon,

I would suggest you add create a shortcut to these programs in the Desktop till we fix this issue. You can right click on the frequently used programs and select 'Send to Desktop' to create a shortcut for that program in Desktop. To troubleshoot this issue,
    I would suggest you to try the following steps and check:

• Open an Administrator CMD window. If you can’t find a way, use these steps:
    • Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open Task Manager.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type CMD
    • Type the following commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannnow
    Try these steps and let us know the results.

Bennet Martin, May 19, 2020
Thema:

To open cmd.exe as administrator without creating a shortcut for cmd

1. To open cmd.exe as administrator without creating a shortcut for cmd - Similar Threads - open cmd exe

2. Cmd font is different from cmd run as administrator vs run without administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cmd font is different from cmd run as administrator vs run without administrator: idk why this is but its annoyingwhen you start a cmd as admin you will execute "conhost.exe" / "cmd.exe"when you start a cmd without admin you will execute "windowsTerminal.exe" / "OpenConsole.exe"this leads for some reason to a discrepancy between starting size and font art...
  3. Cmd font is different from cmd run as administrator vs run without administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cmd font is different from cmd run as administrator vs run without administrator: idk why this is but its annoyingwhen you start a cmd as admin you will execute "conhost.exe" / "cmd.exe"when you start a cmd without admin you will execute "windowsTerminal.exe" / "OpenConsole.exe"this leads for some reason to a discrepancy between starting size and font art...
  4. settings, cmd as administrator, powershell as administrator is not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    settings, cmd as administrator, powershell as administrator is not opening: i can not open my settings app.also no option is showing to start cmd or powershell as administrator. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-cmd-as-administrator-powershell-as/4e840f44-6303-46b7-a043-4c90e9e935c2
  5. settings, cmd as administrator, powershell as administrator is not opening

settings, cmd as administrator, powershell as administrator is not opening: i can not open my settings app.also no option is showing to start cmd or powershell as administrator. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-cmd-as-administrator-powershell-as/4e840f44-6303-46b7-a043-4c90e9e935c2
  6. settings, cmd as administrator, powershell as administrator is not opening

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. CMD not opening

CMD not opening: I am not able to open CMD, i have tried multiple fixes online but nothing really workedI am running on Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cmd-not-opening/fc3d4904-0d2d-4f26-8b4c-d66593d49207
  8. cannot run an exe file in CMD administrator

cannot run an exe file in CMD administrator: From exe file property ===> check: Run this program as an administrator open cmd: run as adminitrator type cd ==> enter C:\Users\MYNAME\Downloads\Programs\Apps\Viber Setup ==> Enter ===> 'C:\Users\MYNAME' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable...
  9. cmd administrator

cmd administrator: How can I execute .bat file in administrator mode without need to run it as administrator? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cmd-administrator/091018b3-b3d9-4d3d-9c09-fdc591e46b90
  10. CMD as Administrator

CMD as Administrator: After my latest Windows Update, I had many issues with my HD settings and some software that no longer functioned. One particular application would not work and notified me that my Windows "Shadow" file was full. I attempted to fix this but found I could not get CMD with...