Windows 10: To overclock or not to overclock, that is the question...

Discus and support To overclock or not to overclock, that is the question... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, I have recently bought a gaming desktop pc 2nd hand, I have had laptops in the past and came to the conclusion that desktop is the way to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jamos316, Sep 7, 2019.

1. jamos316 Win User

To overclock or not to overclock, that is the question...

Hello all,

I have recently bought a gaming desktop pc 2nd hand, I have had laptops in the past and came to the conclusion that desktop is the way to go if I want to game.
    Specs are below;
    EVGA Hadron Air Mini-ITX
    I5 4690k 3.50GHz
    16gb DDR3 666MHz
    ASUSTeK Z971-PLUS
    NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB
    238GB SSD

So when I first got it I started playing Far Cry 4 at 1080p on ultra settings, although I was getting good fps staying well above 60 after 20mins or so the game would freeze up and I need to restart. After running a stress test I saw that my graphics card was getting beyond 80c which worried me. I downloaded and installed MSI Afterburner and let the software take care of the fans, the following stress test showed the card getting to max 65c which I think is a great improvement for the sacrifice of a little noise.

My temps while running far cry 4 at 1080p on ultra are GPU 55c & CPU 70c.

1st question is... Is 70c for the cpu too high? I must admit I do have the main fans set to silent mode as I just prefer it to be quiet but I can tell you I have gamed when fans where at the max all the time and the temp was 60c.

Second question is... The guy I bought the pc from told me I can overclock the cpu to 4.2Ghz. I am unsure what benefit this will be for gaming and is it worth the risk?

James

:)

jamos316, Sep 7, 2019
  2. augustya Win User

Overclocking to Save Battery ?

Somebody was suggesting me this, to improve the performance of the battery overclock the phone to 900MHz, it will slow down the processor but will save quite a bit of battery.

My question is

• is it true
    • How safe it is, will it cause any damage, working, functionality, features of the phone.
    • What side effect, negative effect can it have on the working of the phone.

inshort is it advisable ?

augustya, Sep 7, 2019
  3. rwhamm Win User
    Overclocking Notes

@SirLouen

Your right that overheating is a concern when overclocking, however, the z530 is a great processor to overclock. This is because it has a low watt hour power consumption (which is why nokia chose this processor in the first place).

There is also a lot of data to support overclocking this processor. This information comes mainly from the real world example of Asus and thr eeePC. Asus actually created another bios version for their users to choose from if they wanted to overclovk their
    machine. You can search these forums or google to find the info if you like.

I wouldn't suggest overclocking the z530 more than 200mhz (from 1.6 to 1.8). In fact overclocking is only a real solution if supported by nokia. But for more power in a pinch, why not?

I have not seen that an overclocked processor will only be good for 2 years. That doesnt matter because the processor still manages its power consumptipon and clock cycles. That is to say that it only uses all its power when it needs to. Its not like the
    processor is just screaming at the overclocked speed all the time. Instead it continues to act just like it normally would, with the exception of when it needs full power.

Lastly, the Booklet is really great at passive cooling, the whole thing is a heat sink!

to overclock or not to overclock, that is the question.

rwhamm, Sep 7, 2019
  4. rwhamm Win User

Overclock cpu

Visw... Why not overclock the cpu a bit? Its no short notice that the booklet has too little ram and a laggy processor. The benefits of overclocking 200mhz from 1.6 to 1.8 are tremendous, and the battery impact is minimal.

I say go for it. the atom z530 can be overclocked 30%, or 480mhz safely. I suggest no more than 15-20% which would put the processor running at 1.8 or 1.9.

works great for me.

rwhamm, Sep 7, 2019
Thema:

1. To overclock or not to overclock, that is the question... - Similar Threads - overclock overclock question

2. Overclocking CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Overclocking CPU: HiI have major issue with my laptop RN. I wrote abotu problems with WHEA error, but now I think it's overcloacking :/ I didn't do anything and I'm not really sure how it happend. Can someone tell me if it is overclocking?...
  3. Overclocking Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Overclocking Failed: I have an older computer with Win 10, I had someone update the Bios I think maybe two years ago and it's been running very well.I hope this is an easy fix! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/overclocking-failed/9b5e1103-0148-4a15-b0ac-dbc5b71c5845
  4. Overclocking Failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Overclocking Failed: I have an older computer with Win 10, I had someone update the Bios I think maybe two years ago and it's been running very well.I hope this is an easy fix! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/overclocking-failed/9b5e1103-0148-4a15-b0ac-dbc5b71c5845
  5. Overclocking Failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Overclocking laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Overclocking laptop: I got the brilliant idea of overclocking my laptop. I know I will risk the lifespan of my laptop and heat problems. How do I overclock my laptop? I have a AMD Athlon 300U.What should I do if I have overclocked it too much and the system is unstable How to revert it back?...
  7. Overclocking laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Overclocking laptop: I got the brilliant idea of overclocking my laptop. I know I will risk the lifespan of my laptop and heat problems. How do I overclock my laptop? I have a AMD Athlon 300U.What should I do if I have overclocked it too much and the system is unstable How to revert it back?...
  8. Overclocking laptop

9. overclocking

overclocking: hello i have a asus laptop with model: S550CA processor: intel{r} Core {TM}i5-3337U @1.80GHz 1.80GHz Memory: at this moment 4GB touch support 10 Touch Points Hdd 700GB My question is i read that i can overclock this cpu from 1.80GHz to @2.80GHz does anyone have some usefull...
  10. OverClocking

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    OverClocking: What is meant by overclocking and what does it do? 118400