Windows 10: To reset computer or to do a clean install is the quesiton

Discus and support To reset computer or to do a clean install is the quesiton in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; OK. I have already been chastised for posting twice, though I did not even know I did it. Sorry, this is my level of un-expertise. I have been told... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by beckyb1949, Mar 5, 2019.

1. To reset computer or to do a clean install is the quesiton

OK. I have already been chastised for posting twice, though I did not even know I did it. Sorry, this is my level of un-expertise.

I have been told now to: reset my computer - which I already did and lost everything and am now being told to do this again.

Really?

BUT I am also being told to do a clean install.

Everyone has a different opinion. This does not help the inexperienced.

All very frustrating.

To clean install?

or

To reset once again?

:)

beckyb1949, Mar 5, 2019

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Mar 5, 2019
  3. swat354 Win User
    Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

Thank you john for all of your help i decided to get the usb my computer came with and factory reset it i didnt have anything that personal or valueable so its ok thanks for the help though i appreciate it

swat354, Mar 5, 2019
  4. To reset computer or to do a clean install is the quesiton

Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Mar 5, 2019
Thema:

To reset computer or to do a clean install is the quesiton

1. To reset computer or to do a clean install is the quesiton - Similar Threads - reset computer clean

2. Impossible to Reset PC/Clean Install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Impossible to Reset PC/Clean Install: I am going through every method to get the data off this computer so I can send it back for a refund but nothing is working. I am very frustrated. I have tried going through the reset options in settings and every time it says it was not able to so after trying that a couple...
  3. Should I do a Factory Reset? Will it CLEAN my computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I do a Factory Reset? Will it CLEAN my computer?: I was told by an HP tech that my computer is badly infected and my identity is breached. They wanted to charge me to fix it. Can I just do a FACTORY RESET to clean it up and start over? All my files are stored in Dropbox, so there's nothing for me to lose on the computer....
  4. Should I do a Factory Reset? Will it CLEAN my computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I do a Factory Reset? Will it CLEAN my computer?: I was told by an HP tech that my computer is badly infected and my identity is breached. They wanted to charge me to fix it. Can I just do a FACTORY RESET to clean it up and start over? All my files are stored in Dropbox, so there's nothing for me to lose on the computer....
  5. Security Quesiton

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Security Quesiton: I'm trying to look at a *.img file on another hard drive before I delete it. However, I keep getting this message that I don't have access to it. Even tho, most *.img files I have no problem, this one I do. Since I made this file, my user account has been changed from socks...
  6. Monitor Quesiton

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor Quesiton: HI All If i was to get a new monitor, Asus LED 27 inch, 1920x1080 max resolution, would my games lag if i used the native resolution to game on, Games played right now are Battlefield 4, American Truck Simualtor, Need For SPeed Payback getting, and such Monitor...
  7. What do you reccommend factory reset, Clean install or do nothing

in Windows 10 Support
    What do you reccommend factory reset, Clean install or do nothing: i upgraded to windows 10 and have been having been having some problems my pc freezes mostly when im playing games so i orriginally i thought it was just my gfx card (its a crappy one getting a new one soon tho) so i wasn't really bothered but just before my pc crashed and it...
  8. Reset vs Clean Install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset vs Clean Install?: I just upgraded my notebook from 8.1. Win 10 is activated. I did the upgrade by creating an ISO using MCT, expanding the files to a USB hdd, then running Setup. I would now like to do a clean reinstall. Since I do not have bootable external media for the notebook, I'm...
  9. Doing a clean install?

Doing a clean install?: Then your old OS will still be legal. Why not partition your hard drive and keep your old OS in case of problems? When I had a shop build my Win 7 desktop, I paid a little extra to have them install my legal copy of XP on a small partition. It ran some old software that...
  10. Reset or Clean install?

Reset or Clean install?: My brother has a Gateway SX2110G Win10 (x64) desktop that he got from a friend when it was on Windows 8. It’s now on Win10 1703 and runs well but the original owner’s account is still on the computer. I want to reset or clean install so he’s the only account on it. I’m...