Windows 10: To restore this computer, Windows needs to format the drive that the Windows Recovery...

Discus and support To restore this computer, Windows needs to format the drive that the Windows Recovery... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had a system with two USB drives plugged in. There was a restore disk on one USB drive and a recovery image on another USB drive. I had already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by William838, Jun 17, 2019.

1. To restore this computer, Windows needs to format the drive that the Windows Recovery...

I had a system with two USB drives plugged in. There was a restore disk on one USB drive and a recovery image on another USB drive.

I had already restored my notebook- but not from a system image.

I was trying to overwrite the notebook restore with a system image restore and got the title message. I Googled and found advice saying that Windows backup and restore is buggy- don't use it. Not exactly helpful, which is why I am writing this.

I decided to make sure that I was running the USB system and discovered that the message was telling me (correctly) that though I had a bootable USB plugged in the system was not running from it.

It had booted using the C drive and the C drive would get zapped by the restore. Restore would fail if it was allowed to run, so it was not allowed to run.

There is on-line help regarding how to select the boot device. I cannot remember how I found it but I remember that there was a blue page listing available boot options (my USB was plugged in and findable as one option) and I chose the Boot device I wanted. It was this screen that told me that the system had booted from the C drive.

When I booted from the USB restore disk the subject message disappeared from System Image Recovery. One note though- be sure that when you get the option of removing disks from the formatting stage you do remove your boot disk. My boot USB was ticked for formatting till I removed it.

:)

William838, Jun 17, 2019

2. Sony laptop Windows 7 formatting

Depending on your model of laptop you may have a recovery CD that will revert your computer back to the way it was when you first bought it.

It's also possible that there is a recovery partition on your primary drive which you can use to restore the computer to the way it was when you bought it. If so you should see a "press key to restore" type message when booting the computer.

It's not quite the same as using a Windows disc but it may be all you have available. I suggest checking the laptops manual for recovery features.

streetfighter 2, Jun 17, 2019
  3. Mussels Win User
    How to format on Windows 7

just format from the installer on the windows 7 DVD. the options there when you choose which drive to install on.

i suggest partiotining the drive, i run with a 60GB C: drive, but then move my user folder to the D: partition - so that when i format/reinstall, my desktop/my docs, etc, dont get lost.

Mussels, Jun 17, 2019
  4. To restore this computer, Windows needs to format the drive that the Windows Recovery...

Recovery Drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern. In some cases, this could happen if you created a system restore point on your computer. Windows will use the recovery drive to revert to the previous time where your computer is working properly, or where you created
    it. Please don't attempt to put any files in the recovery drive or the restore process will fail. To give you more suggestion and helpful information, we would like to more about your computer. Please answer the question below:

• Did you make any changes to your computer before this issue occurs?
    • Have you install Windows Update before getting the Recovery drive?
    • Which version of Windows are you using? To check it, follow the steps through this
      link.

In the meantime, you can check the files inside the recovery drive and confirm if there are essential files that you need.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Lemuel Cie, Jun 17, 2019
Thema:

To restore this computer, Windows needs to format the drive that the Windows Recovery...

1. To restore this computer, Windows needs to format the drive that the Windows Recovery... - Similar Threads - restore computer needs

2. recovery or restore hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recovery or restore hard drive: Hi , think I might have deleted my hard drive by accident on my hp stream laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-or-restore-hard-drive/a172898e-be14-4b5e-882d-ba2cdcdb4880
  3. recovery or restore hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    recovery or restore hard drive: Hi , think I might have deleted my hard drive by accident on my hp stream laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-or-restore-hard-drive/a172898e-be14-4b5e-882d-ba2cdcdb4880
  4. Drives auto formatting to recovery.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drives auto formatting to recovery.: I have an old hp Pavillion x360 that used to have windows 8.1 but has been updated to windows 10, but whenever I plug in a USB drive it shows its storage as only around 100MB but the drive has a few gigs. And it is formatted to a recovery drive even though it works on other...
  5. Drives auto formatting to recovery.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drives auto formatting to recovery.: I have an old hp Pavillion x360 that used to have windows 8.1 but has been updated to windows 10, but whenever I plug in a USB drive it shows its storage as only around 100MB but the drive has a few gigs. And it is formatted to a recovery drive even though it works on other...
  6. Drives auto formatting to recovery.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Restore Points and Recovery Drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore Points and Recovery Drives: When I create my recovery drive and restore points, will my browser profiles/preferences also be saved somewhere in the mix? In both, or, either one? submitted by /u/Davis_o_the_Glen [link] [comments]...
  8. Does my drive need to be formatted for windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does my drive need to be formatted for windows?: I am going to build a new computer when I came over an issue. I want to move my files over from my old pc but I came across an issue. If I put all of the files in a folder and put it on the drive then will I need to format the drive and lose that stuff? Thanks. submitted by...
  9. Restore windows 10 from the recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore windows 10 from the recovery drive: I have a recovery drive. None of these options works. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-windows-10-from-the-recovery-drive/9258179e-3ba2-4409-b0f3-e7821f25e4f7
  10. How to use Recovery Drive to restore Windows 10 computer

in Windows 10 News
    How to use Recovery Drive to restore Windows 10 computer: [ATTACH]Essentially, a Recovery Drive stores a copy of your Windows 10 environment without your personal files and desktop applications on another source, such as a […] This article How to use Recovery Drive to restore Windows 10 computer first appeared on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. to restore this computer windows needs

2. windows needs to format the drive that the windows recovery environment

3. to restore this computer windows needs to format the drive that the windows recovery

4. to restore this computer windows needs to,
  5. to restore this computer windows needs to format,
  6. to restore this computer windows needs to format the drive,
  7. to restore computer windows needs.to.format drive,
  8. to restore this computer WIndows needs to foamt