Windows 10: Today's Update Broke Me & My OS

Discus and support Today's Update Broke Me & My OS in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am getting some serious issues after rebooting my PC today to install updates! My Service Host DCOM is using g 30+% of my CPU after the reboot and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Udonitron, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Udonitron Win User

Today's Update Broke Me & My OS

I am getting some serious issues after rebooting my PC today to install updates!
    My Service Host DCOM is using g 30+% of my CPU after the reboot and when I click on any windows apps on the task bar nothing happens.
    I cannot open edge, mail, or the windows start menu and I get nothing when right clicking.
    If I open chrome it just sits at a white screen with a page unresponsive showing.
    Trying to uninstall silver light that was installed with the update today but that is just stuck on preparing to remove.
    This update seriously has screwed my computer... Well done MS. =(

Tried doing a system restore back to March 11th but it just keeps failing with an 0x80070091 error.
    Wow this update....
    I would suggest to NOT update your PC today!
    I assume the update did not fully install and broke much of the core services?

:)

Udonitron, Mar 14, 2017

2. Failure to unlock BitLocker encrypted HD after new windows 10 installation

Sigh, This is the 10th time today I have had to give the bad news.

Bitlocker is tied to the OS, when you replaced the drive and re-installed windows you broke that tie. If the password and recovery key do not work the data is for all intents & purposes, gone.

Never use bitlocker.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Mar 14, 2017
  3. Windows 10 update ruined my pc

the pic was working fine until today's update broke it. Now all that shows up are blue screens that either say "preparing for automatic repair" then " diagnosing your pic". There are option but nothing works

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup]

caroljohnston2, Mar 14, 2017
  4. maranna Win User

I performed the update of 3-14-17 and the only problem was that at the very end of it all I was stuck in a loop saying not to shut down. After 20 minutes I shut down. All is working ok and all installed OK.

Do you have an image you can recover to?
    I use Macrium free and it saves the day many times.
    I hope you are imaged/backed up.
    Besides that maybe one of the pros can suggest something to help you.
    Did the update finalize?
    Did you get an error message?
    You are using Windows 10 right?

maranna, Mar 14, 2017
  5. Udonitron Win User
    Yeah Win 10 and no I did not do an image backup since it was just a small cumulative update.
    I assume it finalized, I let it update and came back later and logged in to find this mess.

Udonitron, Mar 14, 2017
  6. Udonitron Win User
    I am in safe mode right now and all is running well so definitely an update issue.

Udonitron, Mar 14, 2017
  7. Udonitron Win User
    Uninstalling 2017-03 Delta Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013429)

Udonitron, Mar 14, 2017
  8. Udonitron Win User

Well I uninstalled the update and restarted.
    Once my computer restarted it showed an update processing that went to 100% went back to my desktop with the same exact issues and problems I went back into my uninstall programs and uninstalled the update again and restarted.
    It show the update was uninstalled so I reinstalled the latest update that I downloaded while in safe mode and the same issue persists. Opening any webpage goes into not responding, cannot open anything windows related on my taskbar, and the dcom server process is using g 30%+ of my CPU.

I am going to have to do a wipe and reinstall of windows now? This is so ridiculous.

Udonitron, Mar 14, 2017
  9. maranna Win User
    At the very end of the installation, it said,"Do not shut down your PC ."
    That lasts about 25 minutes. So wait.
    I thought I was in a loop so I did a hard shut down and when I booted up it showed the same message for a brief time then completed successfully. No problems.

maranna, Mar 14, 2017
  10. Udonitron Win User
    Oh I would never do that.
    1st thing this morning I saw the update, chose to install and it and restart and then left my PC for about 90 mins.
    I came home and it was at my login, that is where it all started.

Udonitron, Mar 14, 2017
  11. Udonitron Win User
    Looks like I am going to have to do a full wipe and reinstall. *Sad
    I cannot even do the repair reinstall from a thumbdrive due to it telling me I have to reboot and initialize it from the desktop but I cannot open anything on the desktop without the computer just freezing that app before it even shows.
    Looks like I will have to do and get it done via safe mode and see if it can repair this update crap of a mess (but I suspect I won't be able to in safe mode) otherwise I will have to do a full wipe...argh.

Udonitron, Mar 15, 2017
  12. fanta Win User
    Hi there,

I've got the same problem like you Udonitron:
    -DCOM Launch uses 30% of my CPU
    -Firefox won't respond, Chrome too
    -System's very "glitchy", Startbutton won't work, Task Manager(ctrl-alt-del) ends up in Black-Screen, confirm program permission ends in a blank screen (you know, that windows that pop up when you try to run something in admin-mode etc.)

I have tried to uninstall the update, but the same effect happens to (goes back to 100%--> Update is reinstalled), I have even tried a system recovery (back to 13.03), but even this isn't going to help.

I read a similar problem here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...2-3f566aed8b96 same problems, weird "man made" solutions I wouldn't try in first place.

I hope that Microsoft will fix this, or i have to reinstall my whole system...

fanta, Mar 15, 2017
  13. maranna Win User

Control panel>Troubleshooting>trouble shoot Windows updates. It may do some resetting.

maranna, Mar 15, 2017
  14. Udonitron Win User
    Ugh...so many people I see!
    And over months and months with the common issue being right after an update.
    MS really needs to wake up and provide a fix for their update that says it was 100% when it clearly wasn't.

Udonitron, Mar 15, 2017
  15. Udonitron Win User
    This issue is far beyond that simple route.
    Windows thinks everything installed OK 100% so as far as it is concerned there are no issues.

Udonitron, Mar 15, 2017
Thema:

1. Today's Update Broke Me & My OS - Similar Threads - Today's Update Broke

2. Win10 to 11 update broke OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 to 11 update broke OS: Managed to make a fresh install of win11 and got so far to get it activated, but my biggest problem is still that im locked out of my files in the old c:/ which had some keys and passwords.Any suggestions on how to retrieve them since its system protected......
  3. Win10 to 11 update broke OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 to 11 update broke OS: So last night windows decided to update wihtout asking and woke up to srttrail.txt error and an infinite repair loop, i couldnt access safemode by any means.Pretty much tried everything and had to do a fresh install of win11 after it.Now im having a problem that the windows...
  4. Win10 to 11 update broke OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 to 11 update broke OS: So last night windows decided to update wihtout asking and woke up to srttrail.txt error and an infinite repair loop, i couldnt access safemode by any means.Pretty much tried everything and had to do a fresh install of win11 after it.Now im having a problem that the windows...
  5. Win10 to 11 update broke OS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Today’s Windows Update broke everything. How to roll back?

Today’s Windows Update broke everything. How to roll back?: Today I allowed a Windows update to run & restart my Lenovo laptop. At restart my bluetooth quit working. Troubleshooting stated Bluetooth wasn’t available. I was using BT speakers daily before the update. I decided to Shut Down then restart. Now the start up process doesn’t...
  7. Google Hangouts in Gmail Broke After Today's Windows Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Google Hangouts in Gmail Broke After Today's Windows Update: May 12, 2020 We get back home early this evening to find windows 10 ver. 1903 wanting to restart the computer to complete it's update. The update went smoothly. We have a voip phone, google hangouts in gmail. When we tried to place a call, the dialer box pops up normally but...
  8. Todays forced Windows 10 update broke my PC

Todays forced Windows 10 update broke my PC: Today at around 5PM there was a forced update on my PC. I have until then had no issues on my computer at all. Now though, every time I play any game, the computer abruptly switches off and then restarts. I can load games and get to the main menu fine, but as soon as I hit...
  9. Windows 10 update broke my OS

Windows 10 update broke my OS: So I decided to do a windows update. I'm using windows 10. After it updated for about 2 hours, it would not boot into the OS. I tried rolling back the update using the BIOS settings but I just keep getting error messages, when I set it to "windows rollback" it just boots back...
  10. Microsoft Updated I.E. Flash Today. How? Win10 Broke?

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Updated I.E. Flash Today. How? Win10 Broke?: 9-21-2015 Today I received and installed an update from Microsoft labeled Adobe Flash Player Security Update for Internet Explorer. I don't have the Adobe Flash Player Active-X plug-in installed. In fact, Windows10 won't let me install it. So... why did Microsoft...