Windows 10: Today's update forces restart of computer, losing work

Discus and support Today's update forces restart of computer, losing work in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; On a Dell laptop - I've never had an update install automatically before, this update popped up a window informing me that my computer was about to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/alexalexalex09, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Today's update forces restart of computer, losing work

On a Dell laptop - I've never had an update install automatically before, this update popped up a window informing me that my computer was about to restart at around 10:30AM, and then immediately restarted. 5 hours later I opened it back up to discover that all of my saved Word documents had been irreparably deleted, with no recovery information available.

submitted by /u/alexalexalex09
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/alexalexalex09, Oct 31, 2019

2. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Oct 31, 2019
  3. Windows update forced restart

Hi,

Today my computer forced restarted in order to install new updates. Until now I have to accept updates when I restarted the PC, now - forcing the restart was
    absolutely unprofessional. I had unsaved documents and other opened applications. Please don't use forced restart again!!!

Thank you,

Florin

Florin Ghiulea, Oct 31, 2019
  4. Today's update forces restart of computer, losing work

Forced restart after an update.

I hear you and I've seen situations that you mention umpteen times.

But in each one of the cases I've been called in for I was able to track why "middle of my work my computer suddenly restart without such a simple option as "RESTART LATER"
    --- I haven't seen a case yet in which by this time that a user hasn't been notified before-hand but the notification was ignored: "too busy", "not now", "what's that all about" and I could go on and on: but the bottom line is the day comes that what you experienced happens.
    --- Fortunately in my case, the people I help where I volunteer get the benefit of hands on training about "too busy", "not now", "what's that all about" etc. that takes only about 10 minutes that includes written instructions that they can relate to.
    --- May I suggest when you get the first signs of Windows Updates especially the cumulative updates that are due the 2nd Tue of each month (some users aren't aware of that until Wed) schedule the update for a time at night or during the day when you don't have to be on the computer and let it rip. What do you have to lose by adjusting to a similar plan that suits your schedule?

MeAndMyComputer, Oct 31, 2019
Thema:

Today's update forces restart of computer, losing work

1. Today's update forces restart of computer, losing work - Similar Threads - Today's update forces

2. Bluetooth not working after forced restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth not working after forced restart: My laptop had a forced restart last night I'm assuming for a Windows 10 update..., and when I came down to listen to music while I pack, I was unable to connect my bluetooth headphones. When I tried to fix the problem, I noticed that ALL bluetooth related settings are now...
  3. Was anyone else's PC forced to restart today?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Was anyone else's PC forced to restart today?: Hello. I have postponed an update since a couple days ago. I put my PC into sleep mode and took a shower, and when I came back Windows 10 was preparing itself for updates and I was forced to wait. It closed all my tabs which I can easily get back but is there a way to...
  4. Restart loop after update today

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restart loop after update today: I cant get it to restart in safe mode. I cant access winRe. Computer starts to boot and gets to th point where it says trying to restore previous, as in the update failef, but then the reboot restarts. I have tried for hours to resolve this but F8 does not work. Turning...
  5. Forced restart after an update.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Forced restart after an update.: I don't want answers because I know why this is happening. I want only to tell this: people HATE forced restart after a FORCED update. How on Earth can´t you comprehend this fact after so many years? In a middle of my work my computer suddenly restart without such a simple...
  6. Forced restart after an update.

Forced restart after an update.: I don't want answers because I know why this is happening. I want only to tell this: people HATE forced restart after a FORCED update. How on Earth can´t you comprehend this fact after so many years? In a middle of my work my computer suddenly restart without such a simple...
  7. Windows update forced restart

Windows update forced restart: Hi, Today my computer forced restarted in order to install new updates. Until now I have to accept updates when I restarted the PC, now - forcing the restart was absolutely unprofessional. I had unsaved documents and other opened applications. Please don't use forced...
  8. Computer BSOD force restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer BSOD force restart: It's happened twice in the last hour. Checked reliability info: Problem signature Problem Event Name: BlueScreen Code: 133 Parameter 1: 0 Parameter 2: 501 Parameter 3: 500 Parameter 4: fffff803740fb378 OS version: 10_0_17134 Service Pack: 0_0 Product: 768_1 OS Version:...
  9. Updates... Then forcefully restart

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates... Then forcefully restart: Forcing updates is one thing. Forcing a restart is another - and completely unacceptable. Until now I have been able to reschedule the restart. Today it just restarted while I was working. Bug? Intentionally? I will not give Microsoft long to change this behavior....
  10. No restart after today's update

in Windows 10 Support
    No restart after today's update: Only spinning dots for 20 minutes now after restart because of update. Should I reset? Or? 71898