Windows 10: Too many Recovery Partitions???

Discus and support Too many Recovery Partitions??? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Does this look odd to anyone? Should I have this many partitions? Especially 3 Recovery Partitions......can I get rid of them and how do I know which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rdburke, Mar 8, 2017.

1. rdburke Win User

Too many Recovery Partitions???

Does this look odd to anyone? Should I have this many partitions? Especially 3 Recovery Partitions......can I get rid of them and how do I know which one and do it safely?
    *Sleepy

:)

rdburke, Mar 8, 2017

2. Too many recovery partitions

Hi Arjit,

If you are logged in as an administrator, you can repartition your hard disk by using the Shrink feature in Disk Management. You can shrink an existing partition or volume to create unallocated disk space, from which you can create a new partition or volume.

Please refer the suggestion by “TIGER120111” using the below link and check if it helps

Too Many Recovery Partitions

Please provide us the screenshot. Refer the below link on “how to include a screenshot “.

How to include a screenshot in your post

Hope this helps to resolve your issue. If the problem persist, please revert back to us we are glad to help you.

Thank you

Vijaya Kumari 1, Mar 8, 2017
  3. Too many recovery partitions

In my win 10 which I upgraded from win 8.1, there are 3 recovery partitions of sizes 750mb, 467mb, and 7.80gb. Along with these recovery partitions, there is also one EFI system partition of size 500 MB and one OEM partition of size 40 MB. Why are there
    so many recovery partitions?

ArjitPandey, Mar 8, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Laptop Manufactures put on Recovery Partitions. One includes tools for Diagnostics, another is for Setting computer back to Factory settings etc. The recovery partitions are 1/2GB Unless you are desperate for Disk Space, I would leave it alone

spunk, Mar 8, 2017
  5. topgundcp Win User
    From what I saw in the screen shot, this is not the case. Even though just a few hundred MB's taken but people want to have a nice, well organized partition layout.
    @rdburke
    You must have done a couple of upgrade/in place repair, each time it will create an extra 450MB partition.
    Open admin command prompt and type: reagentc /info
    The result should tell you which recovery partition is being used counting from left to right.
    NOTE:
    There's a hidden 16MB MSR partition which you don't see in disk management

Once you identify which one is used then you can delete the other Recovery partitions using diskpart

topgundcp, Mar 8, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    In addition to what @topgundcp posted you can install MiniTool Partition Wizard. Then you can right click on the recovery partitions and explore them in MiniTool Partition Wizard. The extra partitions probably are only extra Windows RE partitions. If they are only Windows RE partitions you can very safely delete the ones not active (reagentc /info tells you the active one) and you won't lose any functionality at all. Then you can also use MiniTool Partition Wizard to extend your OS (C: drive) partition into the empty space created.

Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

This is what a Windows RE partition looks like in MiniTool:

Too many Recovery Partitions??? [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Mar 9, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    By default Windows setup on clean disk creates a 450 MB recovery (RE) partition at the beginning of the disk. Logically thinking the location of this partition is wrong, which is why Windows upgrade might create a new one; upgrade needs some space to modify RE partition but can't expand it because System, MSR and Windows partitions are blocking the way, therefore upgrade creates a new one after the Windows partition shrinking it if needed.

An ideal disk partitioning on a GPT partitioned disk would place System (99 MB) and MSR (hidden 16 MB) partitions at the beginning of the disk, then Windows partition and add RE partition at the end of the disk:

Too many Recovery Partitions??? [​IMG]

Unfortunately Windows setup does not follow these clear guidelines set by Microsoft, makers of Windows. Strange but true.

To put the RE partition at end of the disk and making it somewhat bigger than default 450 MB allows upgrades to add data to it without creating a new RE partition. For an upgrade to be able to use an existing RE partition instead of creating a new one, it must have enough free space:

• If RE partition is less than 500 MB, it must have at least 50 MB of free space
    • If RE partition is 500 MB or larger, it must have at least 320 MB of free space
    • If RE partition is larger than 1 GB, it should have at least 1 GB free
    Read more about GPT partitioning: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ive-partitions

Kari, Mar 9, 2017
  8. Kyhi Win User

Yup Strange, But true..

Kyhi, Mar 9, 2017
  9. rdburke Win User
    Thanks for all the help my friends.......I am going to do a clean install soon and I will take care of this. I have been running Insider Builds for quite some time and stuff got overlooked.

rdburke, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Too many Recovery Partitions??? - Similar Threads - Too many Recovery

2. Too many recovery partitions when custom installing Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Too many recovery partitions when custom installing Windows 10: Hi thereI'm reparing my Asus laptop since I cannot do it with the Reset this PC option it keeps looping when installing, so I created a USB bootable drive and when I'm at the "Where do you want to install Windows" I see multiple recovery partitions, as you can see from the...
  3. Too many recovery partitions when custom installing Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Too many recovery partitions when custom installing Windows 10: Hi thereI'm reparing my Asus laptop since I cannot do it with the Reset this PC option it keeps looping when installing, so I created a USB bootable drive and when I'm at the "Where do you want to install Windows" I see multiple recovery partitions, as you can see from the...
  4. Too many recovery partitions when custom installing Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Too many recovery partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Too many recovery partitions: I purchased an ASUS computer running Win7, upgraded to WIn8 and then later to Win10. I configured a D: data drive on the spare space on disk 0 and used all of disk 1 as E: for more data space. Now I would like to consolidate space on disk 0 and make disk 1 a mirror of disk 0....
  6. Too many recovery partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Too many recovery partitions: I purchased an ASUS computer running Win7, upgraded to WIn8 and then later to Win10. I configured a D: data drive on the spare space on disk 0 and used all of disk 1 as E: for more data space. Now I would like to consolidate space on disk 0 and make disk 1 a mirror of disk 0....
  7. Too many recovery partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Too many disk partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Too many disk partitions: My dell laptop has only one disk Disk 0 with 1862.89 GB of available space. It came with windows 10 version 1809. At first it had one 650MB EFI System Partition, C drive, OEM partition in the same order as seen in Disk Management. I made two more partitions D and E to...
  9. too many partitions on disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    too many partitions on disk: My Windows 10 is an upgrade to my SSD Drive 0. It now has 7 partitions none of which I created. (picture at http://imgur.com/a/edymi) Partition 1 -:/ 300 MB healthy (recovery partition) Partition 2 -:/ 260 MB healthy (EFI system partition) Partition 3 f:/ 6.35GB healthy...
  10. Too many (100% Free) recovery partitions can't delete any

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Too many (100% Free) recovery partitions can't delete any: [img] I run a win7/10(32/64bit) dual boot system with all personal data and install.exe onseparate partition from OS. About 6 months ago I bought this PC second hand. I like to have a factory reset option on my PCs, Especially if I think I might sell it at a later date....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. too many recover partitions 8.1