Windows 10: Too Much Hardware Reserved Memory, Have Tried Several Fixes

Discus and support Too Much Hardware Reserved Memory, Have Tried Several Fixes in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am having issues with too much system reserved memory (currently 5.0gb system reserved with 3.0gb available). I am running 64x Windows on PCI Express... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Awesomeragle, May 1, 2019.

1. Too Much Hardware Reserved Memory, Have Tried Several Fixes

I am having issues with too much system reserved memory (currently 5.0gb system reserved with 3.0gb available). I am running 64x Windows on PCI Express 2.0 CFX X58 Pro. I have 2 identical 8gb sticks in. I have 2 identical 4 sticks as well (not installed). I have had all four of the ram sticks in simultaneously before and it showed 24gb, 21gb hardware reserved. So basically no matter what I try I only have access to 3.0gb. Although I would like to know why it isn't currently reading my second 8 stick, the more immediate question on my mind is how to free up all of that hardware reserved memory.

I have looked through all of these for solutions to my issues and none have worked.

I have also tried the solutions here: What Can I Do When Windows See Less Usable RAM Than Installed | PCsteps.com
    Except I could not find either of the settings this suggests I would find in my BIOS. Both methods of changing the boot options in msconfig did not work. I did NOT update my BIOS yet, but I am on the second to most recent version anyway.

I also tried changing the setting in registry editor as shown in this video here: Hardware reserved memory FIX (3 ways) - YouTube
    Interesting note: before changing this value my computer was showing I had 24gb installed (even though I only had 16 in), then after changing it, it showed I had 8gb installed (again, even though I have 16 in.) This is the first thing I have tried that changed anything though.

I have also tried a fresh install of Windows while trying to solve this issue.

Hopefully helpful screen shots:

Too Much Hardware Reserved Memory, Have Tried Several Fixes [​IMG]

:)

Awesomeragle, May 1, 2019

2. Hardware Reserved Memory issue, common fixes don't seem to have worked

Hey guys,

I have the seemingly common Hardware Reserved Memory issue, wherein I have 32GB (4x8) of RAM installed, but the system is reserving 8.1gb.

System specs:
    Windows 10 Enterprise, 64 bit
    Motherboard: MSI x399 Pro Carbon, CPU is Threadripper 1950x
    RAM: G Skill Trident Z 32GB (4 x 8), F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR

I've tried some of the common fixes for this issue, such as forcing a pagefile dump at shutdown, making sure the maximum memory option is unchecked in the Boot tab of msconfig, and making sure the RAM is installed into the proper channels as indicated by the motherboard manual. BIOS is latest version.

I will note that I have been unable to find any settings on my mobo BIOS that is/is not allocating memory, memory remapping, allocation to my GPU, etc., nor could I find anything to that effect in the manual of the motherboard. I'm not sure how relevant this is but some online posts have shown this could be an issue. Going into Device Manager and sorting by memory resource usage does show my GPU at the top of the list:

CPU-Z shows all four slots with identical settings:

Going into BIOS shows this; all four sticks are detected, but only 3 are usable/included in the DRAM.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

xiaoaoshendiao, May 1, 2019
  3. Jay Jap Win User
    What is Hardware Reserved memory and can it be changed?

Hello John,

The Hardware Reserve is a memory that is reserved for use by the BIOS and some drivers for other peripherals. To assist you with your concern, we suggest that you update your BIOS to isolate/fix the issue. We would also suggest that you
    reach out to the manufacturer of your computer to get assistance on how to update your BIOS.

For further queries, feel free to post back.

Regards.

Jay Jap, May 1, 2019
  4. Too Much Hardware Reserved Memory, Have Tried Several Fixes

how to fix hardware reserved ram 1.1gb

Hi John,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you would like to uncheck/change the hardware reserved memory size.

I would like to let you know that Hardware reserved memory is reserved for use by the BIOS and some drivers for other peripherals. I would suggest you to not make any changes to this. This will help the computer run smoothly.

If you are facing any problem with the hardware reserved memory, please post back with the issue. We’ll be glad to check and help you accordingly.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, May 1, 2019
Thema:

Too Much Hardware Reserved Memory, Have Tried Several Fixes

1. Too Much Hardware Reserved Memory, Have Tried Several Fixes - Similar Threads - Too Much Hardware

2. Hardware reserved memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardware reserved memory: Hello,am having a problem with my memory in the last 3 days.As you can see here my hardware reserved memory is 8.1gb ,i have tryed reseting my bios,removing my cmos battery and putting it back again,unchecked maximum memory in msconfig ,set no paging file on system memory in...
  3. Hardware reserved memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hardware reserved memory: Hello,am having a problem with my memory in the last 3 days.As you can see here my hardware reserved memory is 8.1gb ,i have tryed reseting my bios,removing my cmos battery and putting it back again,unchecked maximum memory in msconfig ,set no paging file on system memory in...
  4. Hardware reserved memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardware reserved memory: Hi - my 8GB of ram has been reduced down to 6GB because 2GB of it is hardware reserved. I've tried swapping the sticks around 2 sticks of 4GB DDR4-2666, I've tried Windows Memory Diagnostics, and even looked at the maximum memory option in msconfig. Both sticks of memory are...
  5. Hardware reserved memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hardware reserved memory: Hi - my 8GB of ram has been reduced down to 6GB because 2GB of it is hardware reserved. I've tried swapping the sticks around 2 sticks of 4GB DDR4-2666, I've tried Windows Memory Diagnostics, and even looked at the maximum memory option in msconfig. Both sticks of memory are...
  6. Hardware reserved memory!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hardware reserved memory!: First I need o say that I use windows 10 Pro 64-bit, I have Ryzen 5 3500U and 8GB ramAsus ZenBook, UX431DA! I said all that information because I tried to do all from Flash my BIOS, Edit somethind in regedit or msconfig, and runned maintenance task! I have 8 gb ram 2x4 and...
  7. Hardware reserve memory

Hardware reserve memory: I am using a Ryzen 5 3500u processor with Windows 10 As per the specification RAM 8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM onboard for Hard Drive: 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD I see 2.1 GB as memory reserve for Hardware. the manufacturer HP says this how the product has been manufactured. But...
  8. Hardware Reserved Memory

Hardware Reserved Memory: Hello everyone, my computer specs are as follows: AMD FX 8350 CPU ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard AMD Radeon R200 270X Gskill 2x8gb 1600hz RAM I have 64 bit Windows 10 pro OS I have the problem that makes half of my RAM 4.1 GB to be exact hardware reserved and cannot be...
  9. "hardware reserved" memory.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "hardware reserved" memory.: Recently booted up my pc after a bios reset (computer blue screened) and I noticed a lack in performance compare to my computer's normal speed. Looked in task manager and it is classing 8gb of my 16 that's installed as "hardware reserved". I'd like to know why this is, what I...
  10. Hardware-reserved memory is just too much!

Hardware-reserved memory is just too much!: Hey Microsoft. I've got an HP Compaq 6005 Pro Microtower PC with 8GB of RAM installed. Previously it used to show that 7.50 GB memory was usable. Now, however, it displays only 3.50 GB usable, which means that more than half of the memory is being wasted. Kindly give...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. too much hardware reserved memory