Windows 10: too much shared memory with the gpu

Discus and support too much shared memory with the gpu in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I recently upgraded my rig to 24 GB of RAM and I noticed windows increased the amount of shared memory for my gtx 1060 3 GB card. Bad enough the swap... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by HARDCORE GAMES™, Mar 12, 2019.

1. too much shared memory with the gpu

I recently upgraded my rig to 24 GB of RAM and I noticed windows increased the amount of shared memory for my gtx 1060 3 GB card.

Bad enough the swap file eats up more of my SSD but this seems to be excessive at allocating 12 GB of shared memory. That is 50% of all of the memory.

The RAM is for games and the VRAM is what games use.

:)

HARDCORE GAMES™, Mar 12, 2019
  2. And8717 Win User

System Shared Memory

Hi,

I have this issue:

I installed a new GPU on my PC (GeForce GTX 1050 Ti) and after that my System information has changed so..

Before:

Installed Memory (RAM): 16.00 GB

After:

Installed Memory (RAM): 16.00 GB (7.95 GB usable)

Now I have 2 questions:

• is possible decrease or disable the Shared System Memory? (I can't from bios)
    • in my video card info the Shared System Memory amounts to 4070 MB where are the others 4 GB of my RAM..
      why only 7.95 GB usable an not 12 GB?

Thanks a lot

Andrea

And8717, Mar 12, 2019
  3. Cripplingly High GPU in Windows 10

Dave, the two processes apparently hogging all the GPU were desktop windows manager and client server runtime process.

However, when I list them now, after numerous reboots and reinstalls, no apps show up as consuming GPU, yet GPU is at 80-100%. I think this is because the apps are only consuming the 3D component of the GPU and not the others - copy, decode, processing or
    shared memory usage?

I've spent some time on Google and it seems to be a fairly common symptom but none of the suggested solutions are effective.

It doesn't seem to be linked to any significant changes, I even tried uninstalling the most recent windows updates.

Any thoughts?

Zorro Blade, Mar 12, 2019
  4. Sasqui Win User

too much shared memory with the gpu

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Mar 12, 2019
Thema:

too much shared memory with the gpu

1. too much shared memory with the gpu - Similar Threads - too much shared

2. notskrnl.exe taking too much gpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    notskrnl.exe taking too much gpu: After upgrading my cpu from a ryzen 5 2600 to 5600, everytime I play a game, specially warzone. I get very high GPU usage from a system app which is ntoskrnl.exe, like around 20-60% of gpu is taken up and lowers my fps ingame by a large amount. this is the first time ive...
  3. notskrnl.exe taking too much gpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    notskrnl.exe taking too much gpu: After upgrading my cpu from a ryzen 5 2600 to 5600, everytime I play a game, specially warzone. I get very high GPU usage from a system app which is ntoskrnl.exe, like around 20-60% of gpu is taken up and lowers my fps ingame by a large amount. this is the first time ive...
  4. Shared gpu memory

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Shared gpu memory: I went to task manager and went to the GPU section i saw 0.2 / 2.0 GPU memory does that mean that's the amount of Video Ram I have? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shared-gpu-memory/1f30346c-0e44-4ad3-84be-e34591376985
  5. Shared gpu memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shared gpu memory: I went to task manager and went to the GPU section i saw 0.2 / 2.0 GPU memory does that mean that's the amount of Video Ram I have? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shared-gpu-memory/1f30346c-0e44-4ad3-84be-e34591376985
  6. Shared gpu memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Too much memory usage

Too much memory usage: I have 16 GB of memory, but something is using over 60% of it. [ATTACH] What is causing this? I tried doing sfc /scannow and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. What is causing this?...
  8. Too much memory usage?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Too much memory usage?: I've been noticing Chrome discarding tabs lately which is something that I haven't seen since I had my Windows 7 computer over six years ago. And I'm only using about 61 percent memory. And I've used more memory but didn't have that happen. What's happening? Is it because I'm...
  9. Too much memory usage?

in Windows 10 Support
    Too much memory usage?: I've been noticing Chrome discarding tabs lately which is something that I haven't seen since I had my Windows 7 computer over six years ago. And I'm only using about 61 percent memory. And I've used more memory but didn't have that happen. What's happening? Is it because I'm...
  10. dwm.exe using too much GPU

dwm.exe using too much GPU: I'm on a Lenovo Thinkpad P50s, which has an integrated Intel HD Graphics 520 GPU, and a dedicated NVIDIA Quadro M500M GPU. When I run some applications, such as Rainmeter, Chrome, or a game, the process "dwm.exe" Desktop Window Manager is using up to 70% of my integrated...