Windows 10: Took my computer in for a hard drive swap, now I can't create a Hello fingerprint sign in....

Discus and support Took my computer in for a hard drive swap, now I can't create a Hello fingerprint sign in.... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I recently took my MSI PS42-MODERN in to switch my hard drive out for another one. They needed to sign into my computer to make sure it worked but we... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/surely_not_erik, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Took my computer in for a hard drive swap, now I can't create a Hello fingerprint sign in....

I recently took my MSI PS42-MODERN in to switch my hard drive out for another one. They needed to sign into my computer to make sure it worked but we changed the password and now I can't make a fingerprint. I tried doing it, it asks for a pin and then just hangs there and then does nothing. I even tried making another account on the computer and it allowed me to make a fingerprint on there. What is going on?

submitted by /u/surely_not_erik
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/surely_not_erik, Apr 19, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Windows Hello Fingerprint issue

Hi Rajesh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you are unable to use Windows Hello Fingerprint to sign in to Windows. It would be great if you can reply with the details requested below:

• When you say, “I am not getting the option to log-in into windows using fingerprint.” What login options do you see on the login screen?
    • What happens when you try to use the Windows Hello Fingerprint scanner to login to Windows?
    • Were you able to use the Windows Hello Fingerprint to login to Windows earlier?

Ideally, on the login screen, you will see Sign-in options that allows you to use different sign-in methods to login to Windows.

As you have mentioned that you are able to use the Fingerprint scanner on websites, I would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

1. On the login screen, click on Sign-in options.
    2. Click on the Fingerprint icon, scan the Fingerprint, and see if you are able to sign in.

Refer the screenshot below:

Took my computer in for a hard drive swap, now I can't create a Hello fingerprint sign in.... fc087693-5104-47d8-960f-4d6097885918?upload=true.jpg

If the issue persists, try removing the Fingerprint and add it again. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings
    2. Click on Accounts and click on
      Sign-in options
      on the left pane.
    3. Now, click on Windows Hello Fingerprint and click on
      Remove.
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions to remove the Fingerprint.
    5. Once done, click on Set up and follow the on-screen instructions to add the Fingerprint.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 19, 2020
  3. Windows Hello Fingerprint issue

Hi Nikhar,

Thanks for the reply.

Yesterday I had a chat discussion with one of the Microsoft tech agents. After much troubleshooting and hit and try, some issues got fixed.

I use HP Client Security for fingerprint login. There I also created 'spare key' which was preventing Windows to show fingerprint login option. When I removed spare key option, I got back the fingerprint login option for me.

Thanks & regards,

Rajesh Pathak

RajeshfromIndia, Apr 19, 2020
  4. Mithin_EJ Win User

Took my computer in for a hard drive swap, now I can't create a Hello fingerprint sign in....

Windows hello isn't accepting my fingerprint.

Hi TouhaZohair,

Thank you for your reply.

Apologize for the delay in reply.

Method 1: Update Chipset and Biometric Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website:

I would suggest you to refer the computer manufacturer’ website, and install the latest chipset and biometric drivers for the device. If you do not find the drivers on website, then you can contact the Manufacturer to get the compatible
    drivers.

Method 2: Remove and Add Fingerprint Options

Step 1: Remove Windows Hello

1. Open Settings app, click
      Accounts, and then Sign in options.
    2. Under Windows Hello section, click
      Remove button
    3. Then Reboot your PC.

Step 2: Add Windows Hello

1. Open Settings app, click Accounts, and then Sign in options.
    2. Under Windows Hello section, click Add button
    3. Sign-out and sign-in to the
      Microsoft Account

We await your response.

Regards,

Mithin_EJ, Apr 19, 2020
Thema:

Took my computer in for a hard drive swap, now I can't create a Hello fingerprint sign in....

1. Took my computer in for a hard drive swap, now I can't create a Hello fingerprint sign in.... - Similar Threads - Took computer hard

2. Windows Hello and/or Fingerprint sign in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello and/or Fingerprint sign in: I recently purchased a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10, that did an automatic download of Windows 11. I opened the box on Friday and started the setup process. By midday Saturday I had a blue screen that just kept rebooting itself. I did some research on Windows 11 and...
  3. Hard Drive Swap

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard Drive Swap: I have a computer running Win 10. I purchased the Win 10 and had it installed by a local shop, Tech Junkies of Hays Kansas. The computer is rather old, only has 8 gig of RAM, and the processor is very slow. I'd like to buy a new computer and use the hard drive from my old...
  4. Windows Hello-Fingerprint sign in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello-Fingerprint sign in: I have an HP Envy laptop with a fingerprint scanner. When first purchased I was able to sign in using a fingerprint scanner. It seems somewhere after some Windows Updates, this feature is no compatible with Windows Hello. I have searched and searched to find out how to fix...
  5. hard drive swap

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard drive swap: I have a new computer, and have that computer all setup. Can I take the old hard drive from the old computer and put it into the new computer (I dont need help on the mechanics). It is currently formatted for 2 logical drive. The current c: drive, I would reformat and use...
  6. Swapping hard drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping hard drives: How do I go about backing up windows to clone on a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swapping-hard-drives/fac9a444-4f53-480d-aebc-2c98f61997fa
  7. Swapping hard drives between two computers

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Swapping hard drives between two computers: Hello. I have two desktop computers. Both running Windows 10 Pro. I need to swap the hard drives between the computers. Reinstalling windows on my main computer is not an option (do not ask, just take my word for it). As I have two computers, two licenses and the...
  8. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I have recently purachsed a new laptop. A dell Inspiron 5570 and it came with a 1TB Hard Disk Drive. I also purchased a solid state drive with the plan to swap rhem out. I cant seem to figure out how to migrate the OS and files from the HDD to the SSD. I cannot boot...
  9. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 5570 with Windows 10 and a 1 lTB HDD. I also purchased A solid state drive seperately to replace the HDD. as it is a new drive i cannot boot from it. i have been unsuccessful in using my recovery drive on it or figuring out how to...
  10. Swapping Hard drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping Hard drives: Good Morning etc, okay I have a PC at home which has an external sata plugin for hard drives, last night I went to check a hard drive and plugged in the wrong one. The one I plugged was for another PC and had Windows 10 mounted in German my PC has English and is Windows 10 I...